SOLIDS: SD/Velocity Relationship

Jimbob

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Soooo, I have a 45-120 and can push a 500gr solid or sp (SD .341) at 2000 fps.
This I feel will do me for anything I'll ever likely draw a bead on.

That been said, I've seen a great mould that casts a 730gr bullet. This has a ridiculous SD of .497. Obviously that depends on the lead alloy used.
Now it would intrude on case capacity a bit but I SHOULD be able t push that at 1600 ish.

It would be down on energy against the 500gr load but that SD is luring me in.

What you guys think? Less SD, more energy/velocity or crazy SD but less energy/velocity?

Might intrude on the case a bit! No kidding.

What is the pressure difference? (theoretically)

SD of .341 in a .458 diameter at normal velocity is well proven the world over to offer plenty of penetration. At that SD, the only worries are bullet construction and putting it in the right place!

I would stick with the 500 gr solid/SP.

Signed: Armchair ballistician and dangerous game hunter ( :) )

I think I probably will stick with the 500gr like.

I was just curious mainly as to whether something with that high an SD would need a higher velocity than 1600 fps.

Might intrude on the case a bit! No kidding.

What is the pressure difference? (theoretically)

Beauty of a 3 1/4" case, so much case capacity to utilise.
I may be able to load it a little further out which would free up some room.

Both loads run under 35 ksi based on my most conservative QuickLoad estimates.
I could push 40ksi in my rifle but I don't see the need just yet.

1. a 730gr .458" bullet at 1600 fps will likely penetrate about the same as a 500gr solid at 2000 fps. (all the way threw)
2. a 730gr hard cast .458" bullet at 1600 fps would do exactly the same amount of damage as a 500gr FMJ at 2000 fps. (but wouldn't hold up as well to bone)
3. will your rifle even properly stabilize such a heavy bullet? (would need a very fast twist rate)

the 500gr bullet is a better choice.

-matt

Cheers Matt.
I do agree, that big lump is just very appealing.
I think you're right regards penetration. Maybe I should design a cartridge around the bullet!

According to Greene's formula it would stabilise, it'd be better out of a 1-12"/14" win mag barrel mind.

if you want to shoot 700+ grain bullets you should check out the new 585 HE cartridge. it will throw a 750gr .585" bullet at pretty much what ever velocity you desire. i intend to use it to mimic the 577 NE cartridge in a bolt action rifle (750gr bullet at 2050 fps). barrels and even rifles chambered in this cartridge are very affordable if built by a competent gun smith.

-matt

That sounds epic Matt!

I love my 45-120 mind. I will replace it but only with a scaled up Highwall action in 700 nitro. I've designed a cartridge aswell which may pop in there rather than the 700 ;)

who said anything about replacing your 45-120? nothing wrong with having multiple guns!

i know of a few people who have had Ruger #1's coverted to 585 HE. then there is always the classic P-14 Enfield action or the magnum mauser action. im having a rifle built fo me on an Enfield action.

a rifle in 700 NE would be interesting but in my opinion it would need to be too heavy to be practical to carry in the field. i handled a H&H double in 700 NE at the last SCI show and at around 18 pounds it was so heavy i couldnt keep the sights on target for very long. i suppose you could make the gun lighter but i fear the recoil would be uncontrolable.

-matt

You have a very good point. Trouble is I live in England!
My 45-120 is licensed for UK game mind so she could be used here on deer and boar with 45-70 bullets and have the big one for abroad (I'd be allowed it for target but unlikely t get expanding bullets and definitely not UK game)

Pity that info on the HE is so sparse. I've always fancied a 4-bore but the only real option is muzzleloader and not so keen on that.
A 505 Gibbs wouldn't upset me though.

God damn it Matt, stop encouraging me!

So are you going to wander up here to see and shoot real big bores Matt?

Think about the Grand Canyon with a roof over it..

So are you going to wander up here to see and shoot real big bores Matt?

Think about the Grand Canyon with a roof over it..

i want to! but i may be too tight for $$ to make it this year. i had to make some changes to my September flight plans to SA and the changes were expensive!

-matt

Bummer! That's too bad.

BUT on the bright side of it... I won't need to use up quite as much powder loading more stuff for you to play with! o_O

Bummer! That's too bad.

BUT on the bright side of it... I won't need to use up quite as much powder loading more stuff for you to play with! o_O

:A Banana Sad:

ill take a very hard look at my bank account... maybe if i stare at it hard enough more money will appear!

-matt

LMAO, Lemme know how it works! :D I'll give it a try next!

Jimbob,

With solids I have found bullet construction and design especially nose profile is more important in terms of penetration than SD. With proper bullets more velocity will penetrate deeper. My preference is the monolithic flat nose bullets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!