Solids for 30-06

Yorktown1781

Reaction score
I have been told that on some of the smaller plains games (ex: Klipspringer) it is better to use a solid bullet rather than an expandable bullet in order to minimize damage to the cape. But I have been unable to find an factory ammo or reloading bullets that are solids for the 30-06. So often the term "solid" seem to imply no lead content but are still hollow point bullets.
Does anyone know of true solids for a 30-06?

Thanks
Frank

What about military surplus ball ammo? Would that do the trick?

I purchased Barnes 30cal Banded Solids in 2013-2014. I do not see them listed on their web site. Check local stores?

not a fan of any non expanding bullet for a game animal. if it were me a Barnes TSX or TTSX would be my choice.

Thanks to everyone fro the replies!
Here's where I'm at:
Sand Rat: I considered the surplus ball ammo but would prefer to load my own so I can fine tune my point of impact.

Mike70560: I am currently loading up some CuttingEdge solids. So far I have had some consistency issues with my groupings. Could be the shooter! But so far they are the only solid bullets I have found so far.

Icq: I agree that I really had to do a second take when my PH told to use solids on the small game. On previous hunts I used Nosler Accubonds on kudu,waterbuck, gemsbok, and zebra with good success. I had loaded some of the Barnes as well but eventually went with the Noslers.

On this hunt I am going to be shooting the smaller plains game but may also take some of the larger plains game as well. So I am trying to have a load for the Cutting Edge bullets that will have the same point of impact as the Nosler Accubonds in case I need to make a quick change. I will continue working with the Cutting Edge bullets but thought I would check on this forum for opinions from others.

Thanks for your feedback

FYI

I would check the legalities of using "solids" in the country you intend to hunt.

There are some countries that have rules prohibiting the use of solids for hunting outside the realm of dangerous game.

Thanks, Thomas.
I'll check out the Woodleigh bullets. I'd rather have 180 grain but beggars can't be choosers.
And yes, I have confirmed that solids are ok for the smaller game for where I am going

Sand Rat's suggestion of Military Ball might still be viable. Put a foam ear plug into a "Kinetic" bullet puller then safely remove the projectiles from surplus Ball Ammo which can then be reloaded to suit.

Sand Rat's suggestion of Military Ball might still be viable. Put a foam ear plug into a "Kinetic" bullet puller then safely remove the projectiles from surplus Ball Ammo which can then be reloaded to suit.

they crimp ball pretty hard it will be work

You can get 147-150 grain FMJ bullets for reloading from Winchester, Remington, and Hornady. Hornady used to make a 220 grain FMJ in .30 cal, but they haven't made it in several years......you might find some on gunbroker, armslist, etc.
I'm willing to bet that if you pulled the bullets from military surplus ammo, you'll find that they are 150 grains or so.......

they crimp ball pretty hard it will be work

They also use a cement to hold the bullet in place at times.

One way to get around this is to run the loaded ammo through the bullet seater die that is backed out a little and then set the bullet seater stem to push the bullet 1/8" into the case before trying to pull it. This will break the seal of the crimp and the cement where you can pull it a lot easier.

I am not a ballistics person, but you will have to reduce the speed of the 30-06, not just changing to solid. As Royals says, @ActionBob used solids in 30-06.

Yorktown, have a look at Impala Bullets - maybe they will be willing to send them to you. Or maybe a AH Member will be willing take some of them with them for you after completing a Safari in SA. I have used them in the past in my .375H&H - no complains regarding accuracy.

www.impalabullets.co.za

Regards
Boela.

Was thinking I might have some, but remembered that what I do have is some Barnes 250 gr. softs. Rare as well.

Yes you can easily find military pointed solids but they are typically light and fast. My gun did not shoot them as accurate as I wanted, and I needed something adequate for Zebra as well so wanted to find two loads that would regulate. I found two boxes of 180 grain round nose solids by A Square. They regulated with Winchester 180 grain Accubonds. However they must tumble as they did more damage on exit than I expected. Made about a 3/4" exit on klippy. Blew a monkey apart but may have hit a stick first?

How would simple old slow moving 220 grain softs like the old Remington Core loct work?

In my early days of comp shooting we would pull the bullets from surplus ammo and put a sierra match king on top of it and call it mexican match ammo I don't see why you can't do it and but put the powder you want in it and adjust the load for your gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!