Solid or Partition Bullets for African Lion

I think whatever works on grizzley will work on lion

Would anybody use a .458 Winchester magnum on lion, my preference would still be the .416 Rigby

Would anybody use a .458 Winchester magnum on lion, my preference would still be the .416 Rigby

Never hunted lion, but I'd use either. Would prefer the somewhat bigger hole the .458 will make. Once again, shot placement with the proper projectile I think trumps the small difference in caliber size here.

I used 416 Ruger and it was more than enough gun!

Hello Kenneth McMillan,

No doubt plenty of lions have been well taken with both calibers.
I cannot afford to hunt lion but lioness is within my reach financially and perhaps one day I might book such a hunt.
If I was to select the .458 for lion (or lioness in my case), I think I would consider using a 400 gr bullet.
The 500 grainers designed for heavy game, might worry me that they'd be a bit too sturdy to mushroom properly on such as a cat.

Of course, a blunt, nearly .46 caliber bullet would likely do well on a lion, even if it didn't expand.
However, I would probably prefer a 400 gr flat nose or round nose soft, intended for the old .45-70 velocity (1300 fps) but loaded to about 2100 to 2200 fps in the .458 Winchester or Lott.
Fired from a .458, I presume it'd mushroom violently, even in a relatively light animal like lion, yet impacting at 400 grains, what remained of it should still exit or at least smash both a wide and deep channel through the vitals.

Be all of that as it may, I am with you 100% on preferring the .416 Rigby for lion.
And for that, I would probably use the Woodleigh 410 gr soft.
In my specific case, partly due to the Rigby's awesome reputation on lion but also because it would shoot a little flatter in case I wanted to take a longer poke at some wayward jackal or loud mounthed baboon, etc., on the same safari.

There is a great account of John Hunter shooting several problem lions at night, by means of a "battery torch"or flashlight, with his .416 Rigby in his excellent book; "Hunter" by J.A. Hunter (Safari Press Publishing).

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Spooniduck,

Your experiences with Barnes-X bullets bears out the notion that since they are a fairly hard material, they should be used at high velocity to better encourage deformation on impact.

The one I saw zip through the caribou (.30-06 180 gr) with a tiny exit hole and the animal not recovered until the next day, was likely the result of too low an impact velocity.

My hunting partner should've used 150 grainers in that caliber.

That seems to have been the general consensus, when switching to the Barnes X (or similar)...to drop a size (if you shot 180 grain lead jacketed, shoot 150-165 grain monometal). For one, weight retention is no longer so much of an issue, and for another the monometal may want more velocity (to do its thing.).

"There is a great account of John Hunter shooting several problem lions at night, by means of a "battery torch"or flashlight, with his .416 Rigby in his excellent book; "Hunter" by J.A. Hunter (Safari Press Publishing)."

Ever since I read Col. Patterson's book, of his adventures hunting (sitting up for) lion at night, I've wanted to do the same.

Ok, based on 0 experience with lion yet ( I leave in June for my lion buff combo hunt) my ph told me a soft point expanding round is most definitely preferred on lion. He wants me to have some solids for follow up on the buff but even still more than likely will be a soft point for first shot on buff.

Ok, based on 0 experience with lion yet ( I leave in June for my lion buff combo hunt) my ph told me a soft point expanding round is most definitely preferred on lion. He wants me to have some solids for follow up on the buff but even still more than likely will be a soft point for first shot on buff.
Also, I will be using a 416 ruger.

Ruger guide gun (m77) with Hornady dgx and dgs 400 grains.

Which version of?
Specifically 416 ruger not Rigby. Nothing against Rigby carteridge, I just bought the 416 ruger. I liked it was in a standard action and heard good things about the 416 and 375 ruger cartridges. I have been very impressed based on the testing I've done so far on the terminal ballistics.

The Guide Gun has become a popular rifle. I seem to be finding references to it everywhere.

The Guide Gun has become a popular rifle. I seem to be finding references to it everywhere.
Yes sir it's a relatively in expensive reliable rifle. I love mine second only to my CZ 550 375 H&H. I just wanted a little more ko power on buff and lion. I plan on using the CZ for a leopard. I think I may take it to shoot some deer next year for sh$ts and giggles.

Specifically 416 ruger not Rigby. Nothing against Rigby carteridge, I just bought the 416 ruger. I liked it was in a standard action and heard good things about the 416 and 375 ruger cartridges. I have been very impressed based on the testing I've done so far on the terminal ballistics.

Well, think of it this way...in the Guide Gun, in 416 Ruger, what you've basically got is a modern version of the much-lauded, and loved, 450-400 (for all intents and purposes a bullet of the same diameter, same weight, traveling at nearly the same velocity).

Last edited:
Never thought of it that way but I feel your right on the mark. It's a fun gun to shoot and I'm very happy with it this far. When I get back from my hunt I plannon doing a full hunt report including how the rifle performed.

Well, I do hope the hunt goes well and very much look forward to hearing of the results!

Thank you sir, me too! The thought of ending up as cat sh$t or gewey stuff between buff toes isn't to appealing. ive waited my whole life for this hunt and I'm super excited for it!

I would stick to a 500gt soft on the 458, the 400grain rounds are as well constructed when using well constructed rounds, but not a DGX or super doper bonded bullet.
Go for the regular Hornady (interlock??) if I'm correct.

And you'll be ok, cats are about wound channel matched with Hydrostatic shock and if something goes the other way (meaning straight at you with great vengeance and furious anger ;) ) believe me then you'll be very pleased that you picked the heavier 500 gr round.

Go as soft as you can

My best always

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.