Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Malipati Tusker
120lbs Elephant hunted south of Gonarezhou
The Elephant that measured 120lbs on both sides that was recently harvested in the Malipati Safari Area south of Gonarezhou was a magnificent bull but, Iconic? Little is known of this elephant and the only confirmed report of his presence was from the air some three weeks ago by the Frankfurt Zoological Society who have been working in Gonarezhou for several years now; unknown to visitors, tourists and Parks staff alike images of this giant tusker were not paraded around; he was not famous, sought after and ‘followed’ by the media, photographers and wildlife enthusiasts alike. Although the Gonarezhou is/ was famed for its big tuskers – Kabakwe, otherwise known as Kambaku, poached in the mid 80’s, was the most famous of the Park‘s iconic bulls. Not a ‘resident’ of the Gonarezhou, but of Kruger, whose wanderings like others, brought him north , a giant tusker yes, well known to the south, but not an ICONIC Gonarezhou and Zimbabwe elephant.

elephant.jpg

Once again the hunting industry finds itself under scrutiny BUT let us put aside the noise and look at the facts – The bull has not been aged properly but Rowan Martin, Zimbabwe’s elephant expert, estimates that this bull would most likely not be younger than 40years of age, his sunken temples are indicative of an aging animal and in all probability passed his prime and breeding years. This would also mean in the past 15 years he would have been classified as a trophy for sure weighing 50lbs very early in his life, by 90% of hunters simply because of his genes. This is a rather liberal assumption.

The Gonarezhou National park is, by and large, surrounded by hunting areas; the Elephant survey of 2014 put the population of Gonarezhou together with the Mahenya area at 11452 which is up 123% from the 2001 count; with quota being set at 0.5% some 57 hunting permits would have been issued for the area which is certainly sustainable.

The Chiredzi Rural Council controls vast swathes of Communal land from the Limpopo north where hunting is permitted to around the Gonarezhou. The bull in question, presumably on its journey north, passed through some of the communal hunting blocks where it could have been shot by a hunter. Yes, people would have been aghast and amazed at the news of such a large tusker been taken in the Communal areas; of course there would be criticism, that is a foregone conclusion BUT, it is believed the response would have far less vehement and disapproving, than we see today – the influencing factor is the Gonarezhou and the close proximity of the Malipati Safari area.

The chances of this particular bull being in a hunting area when a hunt is being conducted have got to be very small andthe possibility of his been shot as minimal as is evident in him reaching a ripe old age and not being known, especially since he has been a Bull of interest to hunters for 15 years.

Zimbabwe has produced 4 bulls of over 100lbs in the past 6 years in the Gonarezhou and Hwange areas. To our knowledge this is an increase from the previous decade. So it appears Zimbabwe is doing something right in these areas as far as quotas are concerned. Hunting methods certainly have not changed.

Zimbabwe has a reputation for big tuskers among the hunting fraternity but unfortunately, the photographic sector seems not to be able to convey this message. This needs to change. What other country has and continues to produce as many big tuskers as Zimbabwe today?

The Gonarezhou is clearly a hidden gem and, with the involvement of Frankfurt Zoological Society, it will only prosper further. The world needs to be made aware of this and that there are tuskers other than this migratory bull.

In this discussion it is of importance to note that at the Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association 2014 AGM a proposal was put forward to our members that the photographic sector wanted to propose a maximum tusk limit of 80 pounds-a-side. The vote on this proposal was a resounding 79% NO. Please bear in mind we also have Professional Photographic Guides as members. Our members sent a counter proposal to the non consumptive sector of the Safari Operators Association Zimbabwe (SOAZ) suggesting we follow and implement the Kruger Magnificent 7 model.

This is a quote from the minutes of the SOAZ committee meeting in February 2015:

” The counter-proposal was for each Park to identify 6 or 7 good bulls; name and collar them and give the tuskers status for publicity purposes. They should be designated as a National Treasure and should be protected by Parks Rangers. Members of SOAZ and ZPHGA would be instructed not to shoot these animals. This system had been implemented in South Africa. It was agreed this exercise should start in Hwange.”

Unfortunately this proposal has not moved forward much and it would need legislation to implement, it can be done.

We the “Zimbabwean Hunters” are willing to work for the greater good of our wildlife, country and its people and we insist on having Zimbabwean solutions. This is evident in the above quote and the fact that we had the “Hunting turnaround Workshop” PRIOR to the Cecil saga. There is however only so much we can do. We do need to push this proposal, but we need the non consumptive operators to get more involved in implementation.

Chairman

ZPHGA

Last edited by a moderator:
the photo operators need to get their heads out of their a--holes, and realise that the hunting and photo sides need to work together instead of a lot of them being totally anti-hunting!!!

+1

I thought Zim was over populated with elephants in the parks, now they want more?

Yes a good read.

The Gonarezhou is clearly a hidden gem and, with the involvement of Frankfurt Zoological Society, it will only prosper further. The world needs to be made aware of this and that there are tuskers other than this migratory bull.
Hmm the jury is certainly out on the FZS' contribution... They use a number of questionable tactics to 'manage' the movement of game in and out of the park, most of which are extremely debateable with regard to what their mandate may be.
Using light aircraft and bicycle-mounted scouts to 'herd' elephant back into the park doesn't sound entirely within the philosophy of open boundaries and allowing game to wander/migrate where it will.

They also appear to be fixated with elephant (which, as has been shown, are thriving in the area) and not too fussed by other species. Maybe that is their stated focus/mandate - but I struggle to see how the GRZ 'prosper's further' if a wealthy benefactor focuses on one species...

My idle musings anyway...

a good read,wonder what the outcome will be.

Hmm the jury is certainly out on the FZS' contribution... They use a number of questionable tactics to 'manage' the movement of game in and out of the park, most of which are extremely debateable with regard to what their mandate may be.
Using light aircraft and bicycle-mounted scouts to 'herd' elephant back into the park doesn't sound entirely within the philosophy of open boundaries and allowing game to wander/migrate where it will.

They also appear to be fixated with elephant (which, as has been shown, are thriving in the area) and not too fussed by other species. Maybe that is their stated focus/mandate - but I struggle to see how the GRZ 'prosper's further' if a wealthy benefactor focuses on one species...

I appreciate the musings.

This post makes some pretty powerful allegations about FZS, can you substantiate any of your statements? I struggle to believe that anyone would think of herding elephants on bicycles. i would pay good money to watch that tried, especially with those cheeky Gonarezhou elephants. Furthermore, light aircraft would be a pretty expensive undertaking to herd 11 000 odd elephants, if it were even possible.When I went in April, was noticeably more game and it was less skittish of ALL SPECIES. The Frankfurt Zoological Society's mandate is clearly stated on their website and does not mention elephants- https://fzs.org/en/projects-2/current-projects/gonarezhou-conservation-project/

Last edited by a moderator:
This post makes some pretty powerful allegations about FZS, can you substantiate any of your statements?
I can - but I'm not going to get into a pointless pi$$ing match over the internet with someone looking to pick an argument.

Kinda like me asking if you can substantiate
noticeably more game and it was less skittish of ALL SPECIES
;)

As I said in my above post - these are my idle musings. YMMV

An EXCELLENT article and well written.
I hunted nearby to this area with the same outfitter and PH's in June this year and am returning again early 2016.
Of MAJOR concern to me, and what the GREENIES should also be focusing on ( besides just attacking the bone fide hunting organizations) is the MASSIVE amount of poaching going on in this area.
During my recent hunt, we were charged by four cows simultaneously ( the bull that we were tracking having taken off in the opposite direction!) and had to unfortunately shoot the leading cow at 10m from us, in pure self defence, as she had NO intention of stopping or turning. During the affidavit and form filling process at the nearby Parks Board offices, the Warden informed me of the massive killing of ENTIRE herds of elephants by poisoning them at waterholes... use of poisons placed in melons etc and left at waterholes. This results in total slaughter of the entire herd, from young babies to mature adults.
I was informed by close contacts that this particular 120lb elephant was on his last molars and would not have survived for any great length of time.

The "proposal" for naming and collaring such massive beasts would obviously prolong the lives of these ICONS and help to attract visitors to the Reserves... though in Gonarezhou's case, not sure how this would really benefit the Park itself as visitors are not plenty, in comparison to Kruger etc, and it would take MANY years of park fees to even get close to the benefits they would receive from ONE such elephant hunted legally by avid hunters, such as myself. I, for sure, would respect such a proposal and would NOT hunt any collared animal. The converse, though, is also applicable and I would hunt any shootable sized elephant, should the opportunity arise.

I think that if you put things out in the public domain, you will be called to substantiate claims especially if they smell fishy. Herding elephants on bicycles.....really ?

Good article. I recently saw the magnificent 7 for myself while on Kruger, and wow they are impressive!

the photo operators need to get their heads out of their a--holes, and realise that the hunting and photo sides need to work together instead of a lot of them being totally anti-hunting!!!

Makes way too much sense Mike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross