So I just told my wife.....

15 years? Sounds like a layaway plan.... say, $100 per month for 15 years, gets you pretty close. I don't have that patience or discipline.

rinehart0050 I work on post also

Best of luck Phil! You have to have the passion for fine firearms otherwise you turn out like me and say I could have went on cape buffalo hunt for the cost of a double rifle.

My counter part had the following reply:
As long as the ring costs double of what you are spending on that toy then thats fine by me.... Still saving for that one :K Whipping:

Okay, new plan.

I schedule a surprise vacation to France, no kids. That'll soften her up in a big way just to start. After a week or so of touring the countryside and fabulous French cooking, we take a tour of one of the many vineyards/wineries. After a great lunch and a few tastings with a bottle or two purchased, we just accidentally come across the Verney-Carron factory....... she'll be helpless......she won't possibly be able to say no to me ordering a DR!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj_j4eDuNfLAhUC3mMKHcfwDTwQjRwIBw&url=http://www.memes.com/img/592884&psig=AFQjCNHVK9Wdlh0aHA2_lBL-udR8FHaGHA&ust=1458844128324305

Obvious flaw being ... that somewhere along the way, with all your dreaming, musing and showing her pictures and stories about Africa, she will have gained a very good idea of the minimum purchase price for a double rifle. We talk about buying and budgeting ... They LIVE it! :D :A Blowup::A Stretcher: :A Stirring: :D Beers:

Okay, new plan.

I schedule a surprise vacation to France, no kids. That'll soften her up in a big way just to start. After a week or so of touring the countryside and fabulous French cooking, we take a tour of one of the many vineyards/wineries. After a great lunch and a few tastings with a bottle or two purchased, we just accidentally come across the Verney-Carron factory....... she'll be helpless......she won't possibly be able to say no to me ordering a DR!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj_j4eDuNfLAhUC3mMKHcfwDTwQjRwIBw&url=http://www.memes.com/img/592884&psig=AFQjCNHVK9Wdlh0aHA2_lBL-udR8FHaGHA&ust=1458844128324305
Phil, there might not be enough wine for that. LOL

Yall make a joke about lay away, but that's exactly how I got both of my doubles. My Heym 88 took me eighteen months, and my Searcy almost two years. LOL Worked for me! Just saying. Trying to keep discipline was horrible. Especially while my daughter was still in college.

Seems to me like you've approached this all wrong. You need to think like a wife. When they buy something on special they justify it by how much they "saved". So you need to show her some pictures and prices of some Holland and Holland doubles. Once she has got back up off the floor show her a Verney Carron catalogue and show her how much you will save by buying it.

IMG_0329_zpslhyrzoq8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to me like you've approached this all wrong. You need to think like a wife. When they buy something on special they justify it by how much they "saved". So you need to show her some pictures and prices of some Holland and Holland doubles. Once she has got back up off the floor show her a Verney Carron catalogue and show her how much you will save by buying it.

Clearly Kiwi's are brilliant people! I think this idea has about the same chance as a snowball in the Arizona summer time, but it would be using the logic she used on me a few weeks ago when she bought 5 pairs of shoes.

We are all anxiously awaiting which "plan" you go with. There seems to be a few good suggestions on here, most recently Stug's

We are all anxiously awaiting which "plan" you go with. There seems to be a few good suggestions on here, most recently Stug's

No real plan of action. I bought @cal pappas book, Double Rifle Primer, a few weeks ago in an effort to have more than a cursory knowledge about doubles. The other night when I started this thread I had just put the book down after a bit of reading. Donna was sitting beside me and this is when I turned and actually did say to her that I need a double. And she actually did laugh out loud. I just thought it would be a fun thread to start.

The truth is I have a wonderful wife who outside of the Harley (she was deathly afraid of motorcycles at the time) has never told me no on the things I wanted to pursue. When I first mentioned going to Africa, she was all over it versus a reply of "I want to go to Europe" or something else. And she can't wait to go back to do her own hunting. But the fact is there are kids to get through college and that comes first. But someday I do hope to have a DR and when I do, I want to be educated on the purchase. So for now, learning will suffice and will prepare me for when I go from tire kicker to buyer.

Hopefully someday you can get one! Always good to have dreams and goals!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross