AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC
Hunted
US, Zimbabwe, RSA
I just picked up a .404 Jeffery for my 2015 tuskless hunt and am having a hard time finding snap caps.

In preparation for my previous hunt last year (buffalo/leopard/hippo) I used A-Zoom snap caps in my 375 H&H to practice rapid cycling/reloading. I wanted to use snap caps to make sure that I wasn't short-stroking. I also practiced reloading the magazine from my ammo belt. Unfortunately, it seems as though A-Zoom snap caps in .404 have been discontinued.

I came across these folks: SNAP CAPS but they don't make 404.

Also these Rifle Snap Caps at $55 a pair and they seem to be only the case - not the full round.

And this .pdf from Kynoch but I can't find anything else off of their websites (I'll call them today): http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/pdfs/snap caps.pdf

Any idea of who else makes good quality snap caps?

Also, any advice on making them? I've read that reloading a "dummy round" with a spent primer isn't a good idea but am not sure if that applies to all rifles (doubles, bolt actions, etc.).

Any other options?

Thanks

making them is pretty easy, an FMJ bullet pressed into a empty case with a heavy crimp would work fine. as far as ive seen you don't really need something for the firing pin to hit since its not a rim fire cartridge. BUT, if you must have something in the primer pocket you could put some durable epoxy in there or even a small piece of rubber from an old tire.

while rapid reloading practice is fine with dummy. im not fond of using dummy cartridges to practice cycling because a rifle will eject a case with a bullet different then it will with an empty. in the end nothing beats burning a lot of powder at the range!

best of luck on your tuskless hunt, make sure you post a lot of pics with plenty of story behind them!

-matt

Sarge, perhaps i'm not reading it correctly but am in contradiction with the first response you received to your question regarding snap caps. The purpose of which is that your firing pin/s meet some resistance on being fired. It has been taught to me that it is imperative when dry firing a firearm that the hammer NOT be dropped on an empty chamber where the firing pin is allowed to "free-fall", perhaps i'm wrong, or perhaps this is simply one of those unproven "wives-tales" of the firearms industry, but personally I stick to this rule religiously in my bolts and my double and have never had any issues with firing pins. Try Trader Keith, otherwise dummy up a cartridge with silicon in place of a primer and make sure you highlight your "dry-firing" loads for safety sake.

Dry firing a center fire gun is usually not considered a problem. Rimfires yes. What I did some time back was put some hard rubber in the primer pocket of a few old cases for one of my rifles, so the firing pin had something to hit. It was a Remington SXS .45-70, the instructions specifically stated no dry firing. I, like many have been dry firing all manner of guns for years and never broken anything by doing so. Doesn't mean it wont ever happen though.

I appreciate your input. I especially like the idea of rubber from a tire. I think that'll do the trick.

I'm still aways from my tuskless hunt which is in 2015. But in the meantime, you can check out the post from my previous hunt: http://www.africahunting.com/zimbab...ippo-hunt-chifuti-safaris-zambezi-valley.html

Thanks again!

thanks for the link, it was an enjoyable read. your leopard and buffalo stories were outstanding!

im going on my first safari in 2015 which seems like ages away but waiting only makes it more exciting. i will be hunting cape buffalo, blue wildebeest, warthog, and probably baboon.

elephant, hippo, and sable are high on the list of future hunts if/when i get a chance to go back.

thanks
-matt

That's great. We're on the same timetable. I do agree 100% that the preparation and anticipation are MOST of the fun!

Where will you be hunting? Zim? That's a very nice list. However, don't be surprised if you end up taking more plains game. You'll undoubtedly come across various species and be presented with opportunities to take other nice trophies that aren't on your list. It never fails that when you're looking for animal "A", you'll see every other animal first! I shot two baboon on my last hunt but the decision to take a few was made during the last few days of my hunt. Until then, we had see HUNDREDS of baboon! But alas, when I wanted to take one, I guess word got out and they went "underground" and were a lot harder to find.

will be hunting in South Africa. i would love more animals but my income restricts the number i can take. as it sits the trip is already going to cost roughly half of my yearly income! im making sacrifices to pay for the trip, one of which is putting off buying a house till later.

-matt

I just picked up a .404 Jeffery for my 2015 tuskless hunt and am having a hard time finding snap caps.

In preparation for my previous hunt last year (buffalo/leopard/hippo) I used A-Zoom snap caps in my 375 H&H to practice rapid cycling/reloading. I wanted to use snap caps to make sure that I wasn't short-stroking. I also practiced reloading the magazine from my ammo belt. Unfortunately, it seems as though A-Zoom snap caps in .404 have been discontinued.

Also these Rifle Snap Caps at $55 a pair and they seem to be only the case - not the full round.

And this .pdf from Kynoch but I can't find anything else off of their websites (I'll call them today): http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/pdfs/snap caps.pdf

Also, any advice on making them? I've read that reloading a "dummy round" with a spent primer isn't a good idea but am not sure if that applies to all rifles (doubles, bolt actions, etc.).

Any other options?

Thanks
Had the same problem and found this old thread. Here is my answer:

Either de-cap or drill out the fired primer with about a 1/8" drill and then with a 1/4" drill. Tilt the drill off 90 degrees and walk around the hole to make a slightly beveled hole. Rubber cement in a 1/4" piece of silicone cord, allow to dry and trim with a razor blade.

Hope this is helpful

Rick

AH1.jpg
AH2.jpg

For our use in hunter education classes we have the students practice loading and unloading various rifles using dummy ammunition. For years we just took a fired case, sized it, seated a bullet and spent primer. then some lawyer claimed that it was possible that we were using ammunition that was fully loaded and had misfired, but was still dangerous. First we tried replacing the spent primer with epoxy, but the shape of the primer pocket gave for little adhesion unless we dropped epoxy on the inside of the case so that the epoxy connected to both sides of the pocket.
Then we cam across a better solution. Some of the shotshell snap caps we were using were plastic and after a few classes started breaking, generally at the rim. the working part of the snapcap was a metallic shaped "primer" in a spring housing. The hit of the firing pin was absorbed by the spring.

We removed the primer/spring part from the plastic shell, then drilled out the primer pocket of the selected cartridge case and threaded the hole. We used an RCBS stuck case remover kit, We then put a layer of epoxy on the threads and slid the primer/spring part that was salvaged from the broken snap cap into position, resembling a primed case. Even the risk management attorney agreed that it would not be confused with a loaded round. A bullet could be seated for action operation, or left unloaded to practice how the action ejects empties.

Any other options?

Thanks
Actually, I posted a complex answer but Ron Reed of Reed's Ammunition gave me this solution which I would like to share. "Actually, what we do is just smear a glop of silicone caulking into it primer pocket. It generally will push into the flash hole and cause a rivet like effect so it never falls out, no drilling required. Lots less expensive that buying snap caps in any caliber." He does a great job on hard to find ammo.

Rick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!