Snakes in April

Guster

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Just curious to what the snake presence will be when a guy goes on a hunt in April????

I have been told snakes are rare to see when hunting but it can happen that time of the year. I know tim came across a buff adder just a few days ago hunting in the east cape.

For my chicken _ss I will keeping going in july or aug. when there is even less chance to see a snake. I just hate snakes and the stuff over there is bad news.

Snake sighting will depend much on the weather conditions as well as on the region where you will be hunting. I certainly have seen lots of different snake species during the months of April as they are not yet in hibernation. They are still quite active during the fall months in Southern Africa. Most species will hibernate in the colder months however in Southern Africa some snakes do not hibernate as they keep active all year around even though it can be cold at night during the winter with the majority of the days being warm. Most snakes hibernate during the winter but the timing much vary on the weather. They do this for good reasons; the food can be scarce during the winter months and their bodies rely on the temperature of the surroundings to keep them warm. Keep in mind though that snakes may periodically emerge from hibernation to bask on warm days, they are often encountered in the morning while driving laying in the sun soaking up the rays.

I'm not sure about Africa, because of the seasons being opposite of ours, but April/May, is prime time for Rattlesnakes out here in the Southwestern desert.

Coldest months in RSA....June,July, August.

That must be one bad ass snake!!
I have been told snakes are rare to see when hunting but it can happen that time of the year. I know tim came across a buff adder just a few days ago hunting in the east cape.

That must be one bad ass snake!!

I'm not sure if Bill meant the snake had horns and a bad attitude, or if it was naked... With him you never know. :A Banana Sad:

Buff adder ???? Some new breed or ???? :)

I hear those old dagga boy buff adders can be real bad news... o_O

Last April 9-21 in Limpopo we saw both a puff adder and a black mamba... if I recall correct the mamba was actually on the road to Kruger.

why you should have a torch for walking around at night time....unless of course you are at one of those south african holiday resorts with full street lighting....;):A Stirring: :E Big Grin:

All of the fenced areas are lighted, right? Some kind of law I think? :A Stirring:

A buddy Zim, picture was taken a couple of days ago.

First day on the hunt, he was excited and I am certain he did not kill the snake, it was just a puff adder.

Attachments

• Ross_zpsm8ktvak6.jpg
    Ross_zpsm8ktvak6.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 266
Those puffers are too dangerous to handle... Can not understand why your friend even thinking of to handle one as long is alive ???

I'm not sure if Bill meant the snake had horns and a bad attitude, or if it was naked... With him you never know. :A Banana Sad:

Haha I did not even know what ever one was talking about till I read my post. LOL I which the b and p key were closer so I could just say I hit the wrong one but dam. I have no idea what I was thinking.

You think that was funny if you were near me when I see a snake in person you would see funny. I would either shoot till I had no ammo left or run like a wimp for sure. I just hate snakes period. So I don't to see any puff or buff or even tuff adders in person.

You think that was funny if you were near me when I see a snake in person you would see funny. I would either shoot till I had no ammo left or run like a wimp for sure. I just hate snakes period. So I don't to see any puff or buff or even tuff adders in person.

Yeah, I'm weird when it comes to snakes. I don't mind them at all. I've even been known to take my shovel and move a copperhead out of the road so that it doesn't get run over.

I'm the opposite Royal, I always try to ram them when they are on the road, but It's strange even if you driving over a puff adder or boomslang or cobra it's very rarely they get enough punch to die.... The only snake I do not like to drive over is the Mamba, because they have a tendency to get up under the bakkie, and can stay there for some time...

I'm the opposite Royal, I always try to ram them when they are on the road, but It's strange even if you driving over a puff adder or boomslang or cobra it's very rarely they get enough punch to die.... The only snake I do not like to drive over is the Mamba, because they have a tendency to get up under the bakkie, and can stay there for some time...

Gordon, this is one issue on which I have no doubt that the majority of the people here are in complete agreement with your position!!! :)

I have hunted in April, May, October, November, December and have seen few snakes. I have never killed one in Africa.

Gordon,

He does not fear snakes, but has a healthy dose of respect. Black Mambas, forest cobras, etc he will handle them all.

It is amazing how large some of these snakes are.

Attachments

• Spitting cobra_zpsub6s7obi.jpg
    Spitting cobra_zpsub6s7obi.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 728
Last edited by a moderator:
Gordon, this is one issue on which I have no doubt that the majority of the people here are in complete agreement with your position!!! :)

having had 3 experiences of snakes "attacking" the cruiser i am happy to avoid them even if in a vehicle!!! we were setting out in the morning and my mate was driving and the cruiser had the doors removed, and i wasnt paying much attention till he flew out of his seat and ended up in my seat on top of me. a black mamba had struck at the door opening of his side, but luckily as it was morning and cool the snake hadnt warmed up ,so its was a bit slow and hit the bodywork just behind the open door and below the feet of someone sat in the back........neither were too happy and that snake ended up on the wrong end of a 12 bore. then about a week later same thing happened with a cobra on his side as well!!! same result for the snake. funnily i didnt see the snake but as he performed the same flying routine i knew what the problem was :D the third was when i was standing on the back of the cruiser going fairly rapidly when a mamba reared up in the road ahead of the vehicle, and it was big. the driver slammed the brakes on with me nearly performing a dive over the cab , but i managed to only end up half on top of the cab and not sailing over and landing on the snake......had a :D Beer Bottle: after that :E Big Grin:

as mike says above you will rarely see a snake when you are in the bush even when its in the hot dry season, the rains are probably the worst time.

You never know with snakes. I saw a black mamba in the middle of August, and it was cool and overcast, but we were a kopje (rocky low hill), so it probably was trying to warm itself on the rocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elkreaper17

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois