AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Slump Forecast in Zimbabwe Safari Business
by Kudzai Kuwaza

SAFARI operators have predicted a 35% drop in volume of business when the hunting season begins in May due to the cholera outbreak that has so far claimed more than 3 000 lives since August last year.

Jacob Mudenda, Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe chairman, told the Zimbabwe Independent this week that he had received numerous inquiries from potential hunting clients who were concerned about the waterborne disease outbreak.

“The greatest challenge we are facing is to get clientele from overseas to come out to Zimbabwe,” Mudenda said. “They are questioning whether their health will be assured and if they will get access to clean water. They are also questioning whether they will be treated timeously should they fall sick from the epidemic.”

Mudenda said the politicization of the epidemic as well as international media reports of a total breakdown of state institutions had worsened their anxiety.

The cholera epidemic, among other concerns by clients, Mudenda said, would result in a loss of business of between 30% to 35 %.

He said other worries by clients included the delay in the formation of a unity government five months after Zanu PF and the two MDC formations signed a power-sharing deal, and adequate access to essential foodstuffs during their stay in the country.

Mudenda said safari operators were carrying out an aggressive marketing campaign in collaboration with other stakeholders such as the government and the Zimbabwe Tourism Authority to allay fears that could result in a disastrous hunting season.

He said last year’s hunting season started late after several clients withdrew due to the inconclusive outcome of the presidential election and the fear of violence that followed after President Robert Mugabe was out-polled by MDC leader Morgan Tsvangirai on March 29.

Mudenda said he did not have figures on the number of clients received during the hunting seasons of the last two years because the Parks and Wildlife Management Authority who collate them have failed to give statistics due to the shortage of manpower.

In an effort to boost the number of hunters coming to the country this season, Mudenda said, the association had invited the vice president of the world body, the Safari Club International, Joseph Hosmer, to their annual general meeting in May.

“This will give him the opportunity to see for himself that the country is a safe place to visit,” he said.

The association, which has more than 70 hunting members, is a vital cog of the tourism sector hard hit by a dearth of tourists due to an adverse political and economic climate since 2000.

Source: Zimbabwe Independent

What a crock! Cholera comes from water or food that is contaminated with fecal matter. If your safari operator's camp crew practices such poor sanitation that clients get cholera that guy is going to be out of business very quickly. As for the safari industry in Zim taking a big hit because of cholera a lot of folks must not be to oconcerned because bookings are way up and alot of the quota is sold out through '12.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross