Gerhard

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunted
South Africa
I was finally able to get back to one of my favorite stands on our hunting concession this weekend.

Its build in an big old lead wood tree about 30 feet of the ground. With a wooden platform and a camo net as walls.

On my way to the stand yesterday morning I bumped a couple of young impala rams at the mineral lick.

In the stand I got settled ASAP and then started to relax and enjoy the surroundings.

The lead wood tree stands in a thicket mixed with lead wood and tambotie trees. These trees are home to a wide variety of birds.

The morning passed slowly. At around 12:20 I saw a couple of young impala rams approaching the mineral lick.

They were mock fighting as the rut is still going this late in May. Every now and then one can hear that guttural nasal roar an dominant Impala ram makes to impress the ladies and intimidate the opposition.

During the rut Impala rams are very unpredictable and they can not be patterned at all this makes for a very difficult hunt compared to the Whitetail rut in the USA.

While watching the two young rams a nice mature ram walks straight to the mineral lick ignoring the youngsters...

He gave me a slight quartering away shot at 18 yards.

The M'Bogo (Destroyer 350) appeared in my hands almost as if by magic.

The HHA single pin settled on the middle of the vital triangle.

The next moment the white fletching disappear on the sweet spot and the Impala jumps and goes onto a death run. He went down 50 yards from where he received the shot.

Recovery was easy as there was a very good blood trail leading to the ram.

P1040748a.jpg

So how did the Slick Tricks Std perform???

Entrance wound

P1040751a.jpg

Entrance wound inside the chest cavity

IMG_0900a.jpg

Damage to the lungs...

IMG_0897a.jpg

Exit wound inside the cavity

IMG_0901a.jpg

Exit wound

P1040754a.jpg

The Slick Trick Std's performed flawless once again providing a large wound channel through both lungs and the top of the hart...

I think I can say...

The Slick Tricks whistled through this nice Impala ram... ;);)

Attachments

• IMG_0900a.jpg
    IMG_0900a.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 197
  • P1040751a.jpg
    P1040751a.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 162
  • P1040748a.jpg
    P1040748a.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0901a.jpg
    IMG_0901a.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0897a.jpg
    IMG_0897a.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 195
  • P1040754a.jpg
    P1040754a.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 420
Gerhard,

Nice to see you get something with that new bow. Congrats. Thanks for sharing.

nd

Congratulations for this wonderfull shot... Very nice trophy also...

Very good this bow (and the hunter too)...

Congrats,
Is that the first kill with your new bow?

By the way during the rut is the worst time to try and pattern a whitetail buck.

Congrats,
Is that the first kill with your new bow?

By the way during the rut is the worst time to try and pattern a whitetail buck.

Thanks,

Point taken about the white tail.

I wanted to compare the two animal species ....

Will have to do more research on white tail.

Thanks

deer have individual physical characteristics in their body shapes and facial features that you come to recognize as they mature. That might be easy to understand if you're thinking about the rack grown by the bucks, but the does are just as distinctive

this is the anwer that I was looking for, I've seen a lot of threads about Rage and stuff but I think a fixed solid head will work better everytime. When you know your POI.

thx

F

hey gerhard
I have been bow-hunting for over 40 years and have tried all kinds of broadheads. For my compound set-up , I have never seen an easier broadhead to tune and match to fieldpoints than these slick-tricks. I have little experience with expandables but notice that some are experiencing penetration problems. For me, I will stick to the slick trick heads. One hundred percent pass through on whitetails, elk and caribou. so far. At this point, I will not mess with success.
I do realize that after over 40 years, I still have alot to learn. Until I see otherwise, I'll hunt with these heads.
Cheers, Mike

Gerhard, that was clever! I agree the Slicktrick is a fearsome BH and has the structure to withstand major punishment with that steel ferule. I will be bringing these along with me to Limpopo this Summer, but wanted to ask if when you reviewed the Razortricks did you use 125gr as well? My buddy is shooting 100gr 3 blade Muzzys on short Goldtip XTHunter arrows cut to 25.5" with his Hoyt set at ~60lbs. I am telling him to beef up his arrow and BH weight and to get a good performing Cut on Contact BH. The Razortrick might be the ticket for him. What do you think? He'll be hunting for the usual PG: Kudu, Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Nyala, Warthog, etc.

p.s. What happened? you used to be on Facebook daily?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg