skins wanted for Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Free Classifieds' started by ameliebeth, May 15, 2014.

1. ameliebeth

ameliebeth New Member

I'm not sure if I've put this in the right category, so apologies if I'm wrong.
    I've been looking to get a Striped or Brown hyena skin for a while now, but with no luck. I've been advised by an African taxidermist that my best shot (pardon the pun) is to get an English person to shoot me the animals I want on their African shooting holiday, get the skins tanned and bring them back to the UK with all the legal paperwork etc and for me to pay them the money for it all.

So I am looking for someone from the UK whose going on a shooting holiday and who will shoot me a hyena, or a genet, civet or ocelot. I just want the tanned skin, not made into a rug or mount.

Any offers?
    Like I've said, I will pay you whatever it costs you to shoot the animal, get it tanned and paperwork for import.

I did go to a Taxidermy auction the other week and there was an incredible Brown hyena mount for sale (killed in 2009) apparently it cost a lot for the owner to get it imported, I'm not sure if that's because it was a big heavy mount, or just the import fees were high. Anyway, I didn't have £1,200 in my pocket on the day so had to let him slip away.

2. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    ameliebeth, I think that you should do a lot more research before putting out there such request. I believe there are four different species of Hyena and just throwing the generic name out there is irresponsible on your part. As far as the Ocelot is concerned, not sure what you are trying to accomplish here.

IMPORTANT
    Leopardus pardalis (Ocelot)

Included on CITES Appendix I. The species is protected across most of its range, with hunting banned in Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia, Colombia, Costa Rica, French Guiana, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Suriname, Trinidad, United States, Uruguay and Venezuela, and hunting regulations in place in Peru (Nowell and Jackson 1996). Part of the species range includes protected areas, including some capable of maintaining long-term viable populations (Oliveira et al. in submission).

Range Description: The ocelot is widely distributed from Mexico through Central and South America south to NE Argentina and southern Brazil and Uruguay, found in every country except Chile. Only a small remnant population is found north of the Rio Grande in the United States, estimated at 80-120 animals (Sunquist and Sunquist 2002). In Mexico it has disappeared from much of its historic range on the west coast. There are report of the species up to 3000 m but there are likely outliers.

Countries: Native: Argentina; Belize; Bolivia, Plurinational States of; Brazil; Colombia; Costa Rica; Ecuador; El Salvador; French Guiana; Guatemala; Guyana; Honduras; Mexico; Nicaragua; Panama; Paraguay; Peru; Suriname; Trinidad and Tobago; United States; Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic of

Source: International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN Red List) (http://www.iucnredlist.org)

3. ameliebeth

ameliebeth New Member

I meant Serval, NOT Ocelot, my bad, sorry! Also I want either Brown or Striped hyena :)