Silliest thing you've seen a client bring along?

Ruark

AH member
Reaction score
I've heard many stories about some extravagant or nonsensical item some client just HAD to bring on a safari. A feather mattress. A portable putting green. A violin (had to stay in practice, you know...). 100 year old wines. Ironing board (must'nt have those nasty wrinkles on the veldt).

I wonder what kind of predators a violin would attract in the middle of the night.(n)

What is the silliest or most extreme thing you've seen a client bring on a hunt?

- Ruark

when we were in Africa last year , roy and jenny wormald , were telling us funny stories about how some clients bring there own toilet paper and bath towels sheets and blankets .

the funniest thing ive seen ,was when my daughter about just 16 she brought make up on a week end hunt , not to wear while hunting , but to put that goupe on before any photos were taken , if she was fortunate enough to bag a stag .she was most adamate that no photos would be taken of her with out the war paint on ....... we laugh about it some times ......

A guy showed up for a 7 day buff and pg hunt in Tanzania with a .375 AND a .458 Winnie!o_O

I would say bringing along 100 year old red wine would not be all that silly...:Hungry:

I heard of a hunter from a large Eastern European country bringing several "ladies of the night" along on his safari.
. Gives new meaning to spending ten days in the bush.

Full Drag Queen costume...

That was for a video, but his accompanying PH had to don one of these at the end of the hunt...! I was sworn to secrecy and to a 100 years ban on showing pictures to anyone... :LOL: :D :p

Well if 100 year old wine is silly how does bringing a 15 year old bottle of single malt Scotch rate?
We actually brought it as a gift to our host/outfitter but he graciously shared like we knew he would. :)

I forgot to mention: I also brought a small roll of duct tape in our luggage which I threw into my side pocket while we were in the field. I take a roll everywhere we travel, even camping. It is one of my quirks.

Last edited:
A client said that if something is moving and it should not be then that is what the duct tape is for and if it is not moving and it should be then that is what the WD40 is for. Never goes around without these two items.

I heard of a hunter from a large Eastern European country bringing several "ladies of the night" along on his safari.
I would say bringing along 100 year old red wine would not be all that silly...:Hungry:

So what is "silly" about these? I don't understand, but I am a newbie and have never been so someone please splain before I screw up!!!!:A Banana:

Round twenty years ago, a good friend of mine ,was sheephunting in the Kluane Lake area/Yukon Territory .
An Austrian older guest came with a "lady".
To his astonishment, she doesn't want to go in the outpostcamp with him.
You know, sheep hunting is hard work.
The "lady" was young, beautiful,charming and very,very professional.
The Austrian guy was flown out, a few days for sheep (be sure,the farest camp they had;).
Grapevine is not only working in Africa.
And the base camp never saw so many young guides as in those days.

Life goes on and sometimes you have no choice:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Last edited:
Full Drag Queen costume...

That was for a video, but his accompanying PH had to don one of these at the end of the hunt...! I was sworn to secrecy and to a 100 years ban on showing pictures to anyone... :LOL: :D :p

I think this must be more common practise than what people think :cry:

I love the videos that J.Alain Smith has done on Youtube. He has certainly given me a lot of inspiration to hunt various species around the world.

He has a great sense of humour and I would not hesitate on hosting him in England. Not sure I would want to dress in drag mind you!! I only do that on a Sunday!!

J. Alain Smith is a very nice guy. I emailed him not to long ago asking him a question. Not only did he respond but he responded the next day. He was very nice and more than happy to answer any question I had.

Well if 100 year old wine is silly how does bringing a 15 year old bottle of single malt Scotch rate?

It rates high in my book BigSteve! It's rare that I won't pack a bottle of my favorite single malt Scotch to sip around the campfire in the evening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg