Your Hunting Vehicle

We have our share of horse and dog tracks. People do a great job of rescuing the ones disguarded by the industry.
The jeep is a 76 cj5 with an 86 engine and drive. Runs great. I have yet to use it hunting, as I only got it last Saturday on a gun trade.

My wife and I rescued a couple of very nice TB mares over the years that were ex-track horses and heading for the 'can' at horse auctions. We bred them to one of our quarter horse studs and got some dandy colts. For years we actually had a running bred quarter horse stud that was from a breeder in Ocala.

My old CJ was 1974. I have been thinking about trying to get one and fix it up to use at home................but they are few and far between where I live. Mind you everything where I live is few and far between.;)

My favourite vehicle

My favourite transport method is my Endurance Horse Shadai with whom we as a team achieved second place in the 80 km in the bigest Endurance Race Worldwide the African Championships in Walvisbay/Namibia. The race covers the following distances 35 km sea leg, 30 km over Dune 7 and and the last 15 km desert.

For Hunting and Dune Safaris we use Land Cruisers but I believe they should rather have woman drive even if they are blond.

But then again look what we blonde drivers get up to. To my defence I was only told to change the hub's before driving into the river. I also have to tell you we did have red bull but it did not give us wings!!!!!!!!

Walvisbay Endurance 15th August 2009 074.jpg
Walvisbay Endurance 15th August 2009 190.jpg
DSCN2702.jpg
DSCN2704.jpg
DSCN2705.jpg
Walvisbay Endurance 15th August 2009 136.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sylvia congratulations to you and Shadai on your placing in the endurance race. That is outstanding. Our Canadian horses, if taken to your neck of the woods, would probably just disappear in a pool of sweat.;)

Your predicament with the land cruiser in the river is pretty funny, but I can assure you..........it has happened to a lot of people. A good friend of mine tried to cross a river in British Columbia with his 4x4 and it ended up floating down river until it hit a log jamb. It took three other trucks, winches and chains to get it out...........and it was not in very good shape by the time it was on the bank.:D

Tell me about it. It happend so quick one moment we were driving straight and the next moment the river came down and dragged the car side ways.

When I phoned my dad afterwards to tell him the good news regarding his car the only thing he said as long as you put the hubs in everything would be ok.

And I did but it was to no use!!!

Man we've all been there. I once floated my truck in a stream for about 200 feet, thankfully the engine ran the whole time and it managed to get a grip on a bank in a place where I could inch it out of the streambed. That old trooper had a high water mark in it till the day I sold it. I think the worse one ever was I droppped my boat off the trailer and handed the bow line to my wife to hold while I parked the truck. By the time I got back I noticed the back of the boat was a foot lower than it should be. Sure enough my wife stood there watching the water fill in through the drain hole, no plug. My fault for not plugging the drain, but I honestly think she would have stood there and let the thing sink while she held the line.

Macs B

Your wife must have thought you loved the boat more then her. What a quick way to get competion out of the way!!

These are my two favorite modes of transportation. That would be my bride in camo next to the gelding and yes, those are beavers in the crates on the front of the ATV.

watermark.php

watermark.php

I love your gelding Kelly! Here are picures of some of my favorite hunting "vehicles":

"Giraffe driving" as opposed to cattle driving?

Chris_giraffe-1.jpg

My gelding - "Pitzi" in front with Joco the Boerperd (African Mustang) visiting the homestead on our ranch:

Pitzi_Joco.jpg

My 7 year old Toyota 4X4:

Chris_Sabina.jpg

And lastly; "Brandy" the Landy (WIP)... A project that started at the beginning of the year to convert a 28 year old Land Rover into a reliable hunting vehicle:

IMAGE_282.jpg

Attachments

• Chris_giraffe-1.jpg
    Chris_giraffe-1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 188
  • Pitzi_Joco.jpg
    Pitzi_Joco.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 189
  • Chris_Sabina.jpg
    Chris_Sabina.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 210
  • IMAGE_282.jpg
    IMAGE_282.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 206
Chris it is hard to beat hunting on horseback. Herding giraffe might be a bit of a hoot.........roping them would definitely be a challenge. ;)

The old Land Rover project will keep you busy. I imagine parts are even hard to come by over there.........around where I live they are pretty much non-existent.

You're right Kelly. Horseback hunting can be a lot of fun.

Yes, giraffe driving is fun too... it's amazing how close one can get to wild animals on horseback. Of course Giraffe are generally pretty tame and very inquisitive but we're getting close to other animals too - even Kudu and Bushbuck just stare at us when we ride past... Haven't tried to rope a Giraffe though... don't think I will;)

As for the Land Rover... well the picture I posted was taken when we started with the project and it looks a lot better now but needless to say there's a lot of work that remains to be done... getting there though...

Cheers,

Chris

c t safaris; if you do rope a giraffe be sure to get on video. and I am sure your horse won't be to proud of you.:laughing:

Guess,
Where use such means of transportation on hunting?

DSCN2388we_6119551_382849.jpg

Old Guy's Hunting Vehicle

I thought that this was a pretty neat thread a while back. I had been meaning to add to it, but didn't have time up until now...

No, it's not a Landcruiser (I know, I've owned two of them - an FJ40 and an FJ62), but my latest hunting vehicle is a heck of a lot better on gas and a smoother ride.

With the lightbar and winch, it looks like something a kid would drive, but it's really a vehicle for old guys! The extra lighting is for me - I've got a thinning retina and have poor night vision. The extra light really helps. The winch is for my fishing partner (same age as me) - he's got arthritis in both knees and I have to get him within 100 yards of the trout streams in northern Wisconsin - yes, we sometimes get stuck.

Here's the details:
2010 Toyota Tacoma - 4WD
6-speed manual transmission
261HP V6
N-Fab Light bar with Hella 500 driving and fog lights
Curt front receiver hitch
Northern Tool 9,000 Lb winch on a receiver hitch mount
300 amp DC plugs front and rear for winch power
Lakeland cap on box
Two 30-lamp waterproof LED light fixtures in cap
Thule removable rack system on cap

There's a cutoff switch under the hood that de-energizes the winch plugs so they don't short out when driving though water. I added an auxiliary fuse panel to handle the lighting circuits, relays and extra power points in the box and console.

Being able to mount the winch on the front or the rear is real handy. You can't always pull yourself out forward!

It's definitely not as tough as a 'cruiser, but it only spends about 5% of the time off road.

Inside Winch Storage.jpg
Cutoff Switch.jpg
Hitch Storage in Box.jpg
Front Receiver Hitch.jpg
Outlet on Rear Hitch.jpg
LED Lighting in Cap.jpg
6-Speed Manual.jpg
Auxillary Fuse-Relay Panel.jpg
2010 Tacoma.jpg

Our hunting vehicles at Hartzview Hunting Safaris...

Hunting Trucks.jpg
DSC_9174.jpg

It's a beautiful vehicle, tough as hell!

Thanks enysse, yes the J79 are tough, and will hopefully serve us well for some years....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!