Shooting Sticks...

I took a set of Primos trigger sticks to Africa last year. My son's PH bought them for his use when we left. When you squeeze the trigger each leg is independent so on uneven ground they each find the proper length. They are just a touch high for me when sitting and plenty tall when fully extended for standing. So I modified my new set and cut 2 inches off of the bottom of the legs. They are a lot faster to set up for different heights than the bog pods. Surprised no-one else mentioned them. Bruce

I received a set of Long grass sticks as a gift before my trip. I was able to practice with them out to 250 yards beforehand.

2 of my 5 trophies were taken using them. 1 standing, and 1 sitting. The other 3 I found natural rests.

I also have a set of the Primos bipod sticks and like them. I also like that they are fine for a kneeling shot for me. I have back surgery/hip replacement and 2 knees needing replaced so gettin to a one knee or prone position is about all I can do. Sitting is not good. I also like how they extend. Plan to use them Pronghorn hunting in the states as the tallest Harris bipod for my rifles is just alittle short for use on one knee.

African Sporting Creations (ASC) sells a variety of sticks. Being 6-feet 4-inches tall size 52 jacket guy I went with their premium sticks that break down to allow use sitting if you desire. Being held together with pins and screws and somewhat gimpy I wanted a set of tall sticks that doubled as a walking stick to help me navigate rocky hills. The ASC set was just the ticket. Very well made. I use them almost every weekend for practice. I recommend them.

I carried a set of Long Grass shooting sticks to my PH as a Gift and of course I was the first to shoot off of them, top of the line hand made takes 6 to 10 days for them to ship while they are being made. Worked out great for South Africa.

We took the primos tripod trigger sticks and they worked great. My only criticism is that won't quite go low enough for me to be 100% comfortable for sitting and kneeling shots. Our ph thought they were the best thing since sliced bread so we left them with him. I like gillettehunters suggestion about trimming two inches off, so I think I will do that on my next set. I would highly recommend them. Diver hunter is referring to the bipod version, and they are shorter, but that third leg offers a lot more stability.

From sitting to standing the bog-pod is hard to beat.

I realize that it wasn't on the list, but you should look at the trigger sticks. Each leg raises and lowers independently when you squeeze the trigger. So on uneven ground it automatically levels itself out. I'm only 5' 10'', but it is several inches too tall for me. Took one last year to RSA. My son's PH bought it w/ tip money. My Ph was on a video recently and he was also using one. It raises and lowers much faster than the bog pods. The yoke comes off of the top and you can put a spotting scope on it too. Handy to be able to do that. Bruce

Another vote for trigger sticks. I have been using for three years. The short bipod is a little high for me sitting so I just put the legs forward a bit and use it at an angle. These sticks sitting with an elbow on each knee are almost as good as prone - probably as good for us older dudes that don't get down on the ground as good as we used to. A couple of years ago my PH in Zim liked them so much I left him mine when I left.

I carried a set of Long Grass shooting sticks to my PH as a Gift and of course I was the first to shoot off of them, top of the line hand made takes 6 to 10 days for them to ship while they are being made. Worked out great for South Africa.

Don't give them away again, or you'll be sorry!!! Long Grass quit making them... I went to buy them and they were no longer listed. An e-mail confirmed that they aren't available any longer. I am REALLY bummed... I have two years before my safari, so I may just make some cheap ones and see if anything else pops up in the marketplace.

That is a bummer they are really nice , but I did take note to how they were made maybe I'll have to start making them. I'll let you know if I can find a set I like shooting off Bi-pods myself. Bob

They were, but what ya gonna do? I would defiiinitely buy a used set. I'd really like to get a nice set to take to Africa, but may just have to use what is there.

I've found the commercial versions offered to be a bit too short for us tall guys.
Nothing worse than having to shoot from an uncomfortable hunched over position.
Luckily, my PH Louis is even taller than me and his "custom" sticks were a perfect fit.
Definitely a good idea to check with your PH before you go.

Check out my thread : Ultimate accuracy shooting sticks
And you're 100% right....if you have sticks that are too low down for you, it's highly likely that you'll land up with 'scope eye' !! for big bores, you HAVE to have your back and neck erect to shoot effectively...so many people find out the hard way...but funnily enough not many analyse what actually happened! :huntingrifle:

I made a set out of some small hardwood trees growing on my property. I needed them to practice before going to Africa next May. Tried them out and they seem to work fine and at no cost. I also have a bipop set but the wood ones seem to be more sturdy. Just a thought.

Saw the post about tall folks shooting hunched over which increases the probability of suffering from scope eye. We can make sticks for people from 4'7" to 7' 4" and everything in between. They will have two sets of positive locking connectors so they will be nice and sturdy. Call us if you have special needs as we make everything to order.

Jim

I took a set of Primos trigger sticks to Africa last year. My son's PH bought them for his use when we left. When you squeeze the trigger each leg is independent so on uneven ground they each find the proper length. They are just a touch high for me when sitting and plenty tall when fully extended for standing. So I modified my new set and cut 2 inches off of the bottom of the legs. They are a lot faster to set up for different heights than the bog pods. Surprised no-one else mentioned them. Bruce

I also used the 3-legged Trigger-Stix and found them very handy.

Used them sitting and standing. They were very fast to deploy regardless of terrain.

They are light, and easy to carry due to their short length when compressed.

My PH liked them so much I left them in Africa.

This got me thinking….. Cutting a couple of rather straight sticks and joining them with inner tubing to the correct height for a hunter is fairly simple. How many of you would like to have a pair “Custom Made” by your PH on your day of arrival and take that same pair home with you as a souvenir from your hunt? Maybe even display it in your trophy room?
Granted, some countries would most probably have some issues with you to take them home with you. Will it be possible to treat them before boarding a return flight or shipping them?

Regards

Adding my devalued 2c - I have the Primos trigger tripod and I'm not a huge fan for the heavier recoiling guns. I find that the recoil from my 416 Rigby is enough to disturb the Primos to the point where a fast 2nd shot is not possible over the tripod. It needs 'resetting' before it's stable again.
For smaller calibres I have no issues with the Primos and as mentioned previously, it is quick to deploy yourself and self-levelling.

Whereas the the old African classic tripod of 3 straight(ish) sticks and a wrapping of inner tube works fine and is more stable IMO. The African tripod is not so quick to deploy yourself and really needs the PH or tracker's involvement. The fact that it is also a tripod makes it self-levelling too but not to the extent/range of height of the trigger sticks.

My conclusion is that the weight in the legs of the tripod makes a big difference. The lightweight Primos with its alu legs is great to carry etc but not much beef there to give it some inertia to stay put under recoil. If I'm carrying the sticks myself, then the telescoping Primos wins hands-down. Hauling 6+ft of sticks through thick bush in addition to your rifle is not fun.

Maybe my technique shooting over sticks/tripods sucks and invalidates my conclusions? But that's my experience with tripods! Ha ha

I have used Bog pods, trigger sticks and home made sticks. I like the Primos the most but have not fired my 416Rigby off them and thanks Desperatezulu I wont buy them. I have shoot the Rigby off the Bogpods and home made sticks and these work well. The bog pods being easier to carry.

Boela, not a bad idea. You can bring the stick back to Aust if there are no insect holes in them and even if there are you can pay to have them treated. They also need to be clean of any dirt or other contaminants. I do not know if there are any species of timber that is not allowed.

I have used Bog pods, trigger sticks and home made sticks. I like the Primos the most but have not fired my 416Rigby off them and thanks Desperatezulu I wont buy them. I have shoot the Rigby off the Bogpods and home made sticks and these work well. The bog pods being easier to carry.

Boela, not a bad idea. You can bring the stick back to Aust if there are no insect holes in them and even if there are you can pay to have them treated. They also need to be clean of any dirt or other contaminants. I do not know if there are any species of timber that is not allowed.

The logisitics of shipping a thin 6.5' long piece of wood back to the USA is a bit more complicated than that as we have all seen what the luggage handlers can do to a gun case. You can always cut them in half to fit in with your trophies but that defeats the purpose. Fumigation is expensive and not done very quickly. When you get done paying to ship an oversize crate to the USA and the fumigation you will be out several hundred dollars. LACEY Act enforcement is real and god forbid you pick up a piece of African Yellow Wood which is the only tree the Cape Parrot nests in! There are several other prohibited wood species. These are the reasons why I do not import Antique African Spears from Africa. The hoops I jump through to bring in known species are plenty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross