AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
Me and the kid hit the range for some practice and use up some factory ammo for some brass to have reloaded.The gun is already sighted in for the reloads and the factory ammo shoots about 2 1/2 inches higher then the reloads.I was really happy with his shooting as he was holding on bulleyes and shoots all should be higher with the ammo we used today.He did also take two 50cal muzzy shoots on the target also.Both of those were good also.So for first time off the sticks this year I am feeling good about the upcoming trip.
I had to show him a few shoots from dad to keep him in check.So I did two rounds out of 300 mag with the 200 grain aframes.Pulled the one alittle bit was still happy.

We got the new wide mount rest for the bog pod and like it alot.Holds the gun alot better then the standard one.

Attachments

• 0601141801.jpg
    0601141801.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 0601141800.jpg
    0601141800.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 124
The three shots off the target must have been yours. ;)

haha funny man.I had him shoot 3 shots fast in a row the first hit good the other two were off but still not bad for first time shooting 3 rounds in a row in about 10 seconds.The two muzzy shoots were one just off about 2 inches one low one left.Good thing because if I can do that female lion for him the muzzy is what he will be using.Both shoots would have been a very dead kitty cat.

Good to get him shooting quickly. That's one of the things I've been working on myself...

Looks like you've got Dakota doing pretty dang good!

Dakota does know what he needs to work on now.Another guy at the range picked up on the same thing I have been telling dakota about the trigger pull and how he pulls it sometimes.So now he knows its just not me busting on him for no reason.

Looks totally acceptable to me!

Thats good to hear pieter as you will be there when the gun goes off.I think he did really well for it being off the sticks for a 15 year old kid.Most shoots with the ammo we would be hunting with would be right there.His two shoots with the muzzy were within two inches of how the gun was sighted in.

For anyone with a bog pod may want to look at the new wide bodymount.Way better then the one that comes standard with the tripod.We have the xtreme rest also which is great when sitting in a blind or over looking an area for longer periods of time.The wide body will be great for the tight cover areas and faster shooting areas.

0602141451.jpg
0602141450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be watching for that brass!

Are you planning to take your own sticks to RSA?

I can see how that longer rest would eliminate some of the rocking of the rifle.

The brass will be a few weeks out as I am waiting on those 200 grain aframes bullets and some more 257 factory ammo to make some more brass .Hope to send them out in about 2 weeks to you after one more day at the range.I promise this will be the last batch before the trip lol

I take my own sticks over so dakota is comfortable on them and there set to his size to shoot from.I use sticks sometimes but shoot free hand or off what ever maybe around to rest againist.I hope to take a few animals this trip with my bow also so sticks more for the kid this trip.The bog pod with the extra rest I got just work so well not to take them with.Plus pieter said it would be a good idea for dakota to use what he knows well.

I hope that boy figures out one day what a lucky cat he is! Hunting Africa with your dad and getting to start at such a young age...one in a million.

Oh the boy knows how lucky he is for sure but I think I have the one in a million kid really.I do remind him how awesome his dad is.lol He gets done with school and will start working with me to make extra money.First job is replacing a roof and he loves it just working with me.Plus he got all kind of old toys cloth and things he did not want anymore and did a flea market with my mom to make some extra cash made 300.00 so far.I do spoil him alot but he is worth it in my eyes.

Sounds like he is getting a really good start in life!

Enjoy him while you can. You never know where life will take them. My 23 year old daughter is now a lawyer and living in Dallas and my son just finished his Fire Science degree, has his EMT and is now working on his Paramedic. Who knows where he will end up?? I may lose my hunting partner if he gets that dream job in Montana or Idaho. Oh wait...I'll just travel to his home state to meet him for hunts!! :)

I can not emphasize how important it is to learn to shoot from sticks is. I only let my 16 year old son practice from the sticks at the range and he had to shoot 50 bulls at 100 yards before I let him shoot his first animal.

Shooting off the sticks is so important and can make or break your hunt going well.He has used the sticks for many hunts but just started using again for the upcoming one.When we are done he will have well over 100 rounds of 257,300 and 50cal muzzy of the sticks for this trip.Practice on the range makes everything go better when on the hunt.

He is doing just as good with his bow out to 25 yds right now maybe start working back to 30 and max out at 30 for this trip.

Did some more shooting off the sticks today.Had the kid shoot 3 180 ttsx out of 300 win mag at 100yds to see how the hunting rounds shoot of the sticks.Think he did good all 3 in the 6 inch circle

Attachments

• 0627141429_0001.jpg
    0627141429_0001.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 106
I'd say you guys are well prepared!

You know what I will be doing this weekend....loading .257 Weatherby and .300 Win Mag!

I think we are prepared and ready to go thanks to help from some guy named tim.LOL The best part is the kid did that with the rounds that are my second choice.The 200 grain a frames even shoot better.

Your hard work you put into our reloads will be put to good use in just over a month.We will make you proud with what your reloads get used on.Hope your range time went well today.

Dakota is ready. That's for sure!

Looks like you guys were cutting meat with no problem. Congrats on getting the young man started so early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross