Shooter's Point of View Firing .505 Gibbs, .470 Nitro, .450 Rigby, and .375 H&H (Video)

Hi PHOENIX PHIL,

I have fired an English made Pre-War .500 NE double that weighed something over 11 pound and a custom one built by Evo-Rifle in Idaho, on a Chapui or Verney-Carron action, 20" barrels and too light.
The properly made one felt very similar a .470 in recoil.

The custom lightweight .500 was in a word - painful.
Not sure what it weighed any more but I think it was around 8.5 pound.
Seems like I mentioned the weight of it in a prior post some time back, closer to when I had fired these rifles.
At any rate, it was too light.

Likewise, I have a double rifle in caliber .458 Winchester that only weighs 9.9 lb and it is a bit too light as well.
It has a snappier recoil than I would like.
Another full pound of weight would be to my liking for this one.

Last but not least, I have a custom .458 Lott built on a CZ 550 Magnum action that weighs 11 lb.
With full pressure loads (500 gr bullet @ 2300 fps from the 23" barrel) it also is not as comfortable for me to shoot as that proper weight .500 NE was.

(I load my Lott down to .450 NE ballistics - 480 gr @ a little over 2100 fps - and as such it is much easier on my sissy shoulder, not to mention shockingly accurate).

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

That's interesting, I would have thought the 11lb Lott would have tamed it a bit better than that. Thanks for the input. Now do you have any incites as to how to put two kids through college and afford a double rifle at the same time? :unsure:

I'd love to see a pic of your .500 Jeffery, colorado, another fascinating chambering.

Thank you CAustin, indeed it's the last place to my knowledge it is possible.

Indeed, and we have that in common Velo, I fished the Amazon solo as well, two trips but principally up the Rio Negro from Manaus and then outside Leticia, Colombia. Heck of an adventure, spent a long time in the jungle.

I don't want to overestimate my odds, but I have the language, very familiar with travel in rough conditions and the human challenges encountered, and we do hunts here in the subarctic that are considered borderline inhuman. I'd like to think I'm young enough to tolerate and cope with it all, as well. Suppose the proof will be in the pudding, I'm sure I'll wonder what I'm up to on a couple occasions. Following the Cameroun excursion I'm returning the RSA, and will hunt Rhinoceros, should prove a bit of a wind down!

I have yet to decide on a rifle, but thinking .470. I have always hunted with a .375, but I'm really enjoying this .470 right now.

I'm thinking I can't wait for this hunt report....

Ardent here's a picture of my 500 Jeffery. It weighs 11.25 lbs without ammo, sling or scope. 12 lbs even with scope, which is just about perfect for me. I shoot 570g TSX's and Barnes Banded Solids out of it at 2300 fps. It's nice to shoot offhand, no so nice off the bench.

Attachments

• IMG_0005-1.jpg
    IMG_0005-1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 368
Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely rifle! Bet you have three in the mag too…? The RSM, even with custom floorplate, cannot quite hold three .505s, it's so close it's maddening but the bolt won't close on top.

That's interesting, I would have thought the 11lb Lott would have tamed it a bit better than that. Thanks for the input. Now do you have any incites as to how to put two kids through college and afford a double rifle at the same time? :unsure:

Hi PHIL,

At least one of my acquaintances here and several PHs I have met in Africa can handle the Lott's recoil with factory equivalent ammunition.
So, the recoil problem is me, not the rifle/cartridge.
The Lott is a bit much for me with factory equivalent ballistics, even in my 11 lb rifle.

On good days, I can hit things well with it for only about 3 to 5 rounds.
(On not so good days, it's more like 1 or 2 rounds).
Then admittedly, the involuntary tremors and flinching always begin to creep in, and accordingly my ability to get the hits deteriorates fast.

Such is why I shoot it almost 200 fps below the factory ballistics.
I can handle that level of recoil from the sticks and standing offhand as well for about 10 shots (two fully charged magazines), before I revert back to being a sissy and flinching/missing my targets.
Sorry, my above rant is not really about Ardent's original thread.
Blah, blah, blah.

As for the kids through college vs a double rifle, only one of my offspring expressed an interest in college.
So, I shamed him into joining the Army and Uncle Sam happily paid for his degree.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

No no I think you're fully on topic Velo, no worries and important points you share.

On recoil, it does take some getting used to, this .505 weighs in around 9 1/4lbs due to it being a conversion of a stock RSM, with original barrel. Once bored out to .505 she becomes pretty light and lively, and churns out over 100ft-lbs of recoil, but it also points like a wand as hopefully the video shows. Recoil would essentially be spot on double a 2100fps 11lb .458, and it takes a bit of practice to shoot well. The good news is, it is completely manageable and doable. Before you know it you're churning out piles of big brass and forgetting the rifles are anything special in the recoil department, it just becomes shooting. I find active shooting, such as this knocking over blocks and trying to do it quickly, the best remedy, you focus solely on the task. At that point when you're having fun, the only hold up and ending to the day is the cost of the ammunition and the heat of the fore end in your hands.

The .458 Lott is full house trim is middle of the road amongst this bunch.

Image_zpsbe9d5e88.jpg

Attachments

• Image_zpsbe9d5e88.jpg
    Image_zpsbe9d5e88.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 281
Ruger RSM was one of the finest bolt actions ever made, I should have bought one when they were new. I honestly feel they are better gun than the CZ. The CZ needs a good gunsmith to become smooth and really fast to cycle. I know my 375 H&H needs to be hand cycled a lot more before I ever take it DG hunting.

No no I think you're fully on topic Velo, no worries and important points you share.

On recoil, it does take some getting used to, this .505 weighs in around 9 1/4lbs due to it being a conversion of a stock RSM, with original barrel. Once bored out to .505 she becomes pretty light and lively, and churns out over 100ft-lbs of recoil, but it also points like a wand as hopefully the video shows. Recoil would essentially be spot on double a 2100fps 11lb .458, and it takes a bit of practice to shoot well. The good news is, it is completely manageable and doable. Before you know it you're churning out piles of big brass and forgetting the rifles are anything special in the recoil department, it just becomes shooting. I find active shooting, such as this knocking over blocks and trying to do it quickly, the best remedy, you focus solely on the task. At that point when you're having fun, the only hold up and ending to the day is the cost of the ammunition and the heat of the fore end in your hands.

The .458 Lott is full house trim is middle of the road amongst this bunch.

Image_zpsbe9d5e88.jpg

Hello Ardent,

Thanks for that, also thanks for posting the above photo of your 4 rifles.
They are each and every one quite right for Africa and none too much for our large, sometimes grumpy N. Am. bears (I, just like yourself, live where Grizzly occur commonly and I sometimes work where Polar Bear commonly occur).

In terms of recoil, when I arrived in Alaska 32 years ago, I was of the opinion that a .30-06 / 220 grain bullet kicked pretty hard.
Even with that opinion, I had bought a used Ruger M77 in .338 Winchester with which to begin the rest of my life here, and I had a Gunsmith install a receiver sight on it.
The recoil was too much for me but I stuck with it and learned to handle it well enough to shoot the head off an occasional grouse, in connection with my low budget moose hunting adventures.
I was in my 20s and still suffering from "Velocity Madness" so, loading it down a bit was not on my young mind.

When it broke its stock from recoil, I epoxied it back together (looked like a 3 year old did the epoxy work- lol) and sold it "as is" during a gun show, for less than what I had paid for it a few years earlier.
Then I bought a used Remington Model 700 in .375 H&H and began to load it down a bit (300 gr bullet at 2400 fps).
And although I learned to handle the recoil of full factory ballistics very well for a few shots, with the 2400 fps load it was/is not a problem to fire a few shots from the shooting table/bench when checking my zero on paper targets and many shots from standing.
My fascination with large rifles for large game had begun.
Now I have two Mausers (Model 98 Whitworth and a Model 602 Brno) that are superior to my old Remington.

Regarding your using wood blocks as targets and shooting them rapidly from field positions, I am in total agreement.
Some time back awhile in this forum, I suggested to a fellow preparing to go to Africa for his first PG safari that he practice similar tactics from the sticks until proficient.
I suggested he use paper coffee cups full of dirt or water since he was planning to use a 7mm or .30, I think it was, and he had a scope on it.
Had he been planning to use a truly large bore for DG and open sights, your method would have been the perfect suggestion for him.
(Great minds think alike).

Regarding the Lott loaded to .450 NE ballistics, I have on occasion fired 20 or a few more shots from mine without my eyeballs falling out but usually my ability to hit very small targets with it only lasts for about 10 shots.
I had a .450 No2 NE, an Army & Navy hammer-gun/Jones underlever, etc. (you can see it in one or two of my photos).
And, I once fire 60 rounds from it in one session, several of which were from the bench.
However, that's deceiving because I'm ambidextrous and so, it was actually 30 shots per shoulder.
Furthermore, that particular rifle regulated exceedingly well @ 2050 fps (fired through a chronograph), instead of the original Kynoch Pre-War specs of 2175 fps from 28" barrels (mine were also 28").
Likewise, I have a CZ in .500 Jeffery (11 pound, empty) but have not even tried it at the original ballistics.
Loaded to .500 NE ballistics (570 gr round nose softs and solids @ just a bit over 2100 fps), I can shoot it well and not have to run away crying from a bruised shoulder (I only shoot this one right handed since it is a right handed bolt).
Even the old 535 gr loaded down to that speed should be plenty for any buffalo or hippo on land (for elephant I would think the 570 gr is called for).

Be all of that as it may, I train with my large bore rifles quite a bit (only live a little under 3 km from a rifle range) and have come a long way since the days that I thought a .30-06 and 220 gr bullets kicked hard.
I have fired a .600 NE double with full pressure loads (900 gr bullet @ 1950 fps I think the owner said it was) and although the recoil was very stout indeed, I actually got the hits with it (a right and a left was enough for me though).
So if old age does not knock me down before I get there, it is likely I will reach a tolerance level up to the full pressure Lott (500 gr @ 2300 fps / 23" barrel) and the .500 Jeffery (535 gr @ 2300 or more fps / 24" barrel).

Stay on that front sight,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
From my limited experience and observations first hand the vid confirms a number of things.

.375 = .375 No surprises.
.470. Never heard a bad thing about a .470 and it comes highly praised from people I respect in Africa.
GMA Money won't buy you happiness.
.505 Vicious sharp recoiling B*#@'d of a thing way beyond my limits.

From my limited experience and observations first hand the vid confirms a number of things.

.375 = .375 No surprises.
.470. Never heard a bad thing about a .470 and it comes highly praised from people I respect in Africa.
GMA Money won't buy you happiness.
.505 Vicious sharp recoiling B*#@'d of a thing way beyond my limits.

LOL, I'm with you there mostly. Shot a .505 Gibbs once, never intend to again. I've seen and operated other custom rifles based on the GMA action, and they were silky smooth with no issues. If that's what the Empire was built on, it makes it that that much more suprising.

Good stuff Velo, we share similar latitudes, I fly helicopters up here so get to see plenty of the amazing wildlife we share- sometimes closer than desired! The angry sow below is an example, that was the instant a bluff charge started, fortunately I got a photo and she had her ears up and wasn't serious. Indeed real rifles are a comfort in some areas up here, totally understand.

You are fortunate to be close to a range, here we are as well and just step outside so to speak, it's good being in the north. I also very much like and appreciate your taste in firearms! By the sounds of it you have a lot of "big bore" mileage ahead yet. Not sure if it was the same as for you, with regards to recoil for me one day it just seemed like a switch flipped. I too had the same progression, and when I bought my first .375, it was OK at first, though I certainly thought it kicked. Then I over did it shooting heavy 300 grain at length winding up for my Zimbabwe Buffalo. I developed a flinch and after shaking it, thought .375 was my maximum until quite recently, shooting only up to .375 for years. Then some "bigger" opportunities arrived, and with a certain degree of trepidation, I shouldered and fire guns on up to the light .505. All were a relief, as I was expecting a terrible experience, and finding all were manageable I started shooting them just like I do my .375. I can honestly say it doesn't matter now whether I'm shooting the .505 RSM or the .375 RSM, it was the relief more than anything of knowing the pain isn't too bad. I'm practicing to ensure I can maintain that, and shoot the big stuff the same as the small stuff, it's proving a lot of fun.

Like you say, number one, focus on your targets and what you have to do- the rest takes care of itself, no matter the rifle size.

Attachments

• IMG_6528_zps70a6b582.png
    IMG_6528_zps70a6b582.png
    468 KB · Views: 278
Ruger RSM was one of the finest bolt actions ever made, I should have bought one when they were new. I honestly feel they are better gun than the CZ. The CZ needs a good gunsmith to become smooth and really fast to cycle. I know my 375 H&H needs to be hand cycled a lot more before I ever take it DG hunting.

I am +1 with you Enyesse, regarding the excellent Ruger RSM being a bit better (more robust) than the CZ 550 Magnum.
The Ruger was a very good version of the Magnum Mauser concept - and I'm still crying myself to sleep each night because Ruger has quit making them.
Foolishly, I passed on a used one, in like new condition, caliber .458 Lott at a gun show for only a little over a thousand bucks, not many years ago.
Great Northern Guns here in Anchorage did a limited run of I think 10 of those, in .505 Gibbs but I do not recall if Ruger barreled them at the factory and did the modification on the rails, etc or if GNG had them done on the Ruger action and factory stock, by some custom Gunsmith.
Had Ruger made a .300 H&H version of it back in the day, I surely would've bought one as soon as they hit the market.
Out,
El Doggo.

If it's of assistance to anyone, I'd be happy to make a paper template of the mag rails of this .505, it feeds like greased lighting and was clearly set up right.

Enjoyed the video. Nice shooting.

Looking forward to the hunting report and video!

All the best.

Thanks for the kind words Wheels, hope to have a .577 video down the road as well.

Good stuff Velo, we share similar latitudes, I fly helicopters up here so get to see plenty of the amazing wildlife we share- sometimes closer than desired! The angry sow below is an example, that was the instant a bluff charge started, fortunately I got a photo and she had her ears up and wasn't serious. Indeed real rifles are a comfort in some areas up here, totally understand.

You are fortunate to be close to a range, here we are as well and just step outside so to speak, it's good being in the north. I also very much like and appreciate your taste in firearms! By the sounds of it you have a lot of "big bore" mileage ahead yet. Not sure if it was the same as for you, with regards to recoil for me one day it just seemed like a switch flipped. I too had the same progression, and when I bought my first .375, it was OK at first, though I certainly thought it kicked. Then I over did it shooting heavy 300 grain at length winding up for my Zimbabwe Buffalo. I developed a flinch and after shaking it, thought .375 was my maximum until quite recently, shooting only up to .375 for years. Then some "bigger" opportunities arrived, and with a certain degree of trepidation, I shouldered and fire guns on up to the light .505. All were a relief, as I was expecting a terrible experience, and finding all were manageable I started shooting them just like I do my .375. I can honestly say it doesn't matter now whether I'm shooting the .505 RSM or the .375 RSM, it was the relief more than anything of knowing the pain isn't too bad. I'm practicing to ensure I can maintain that, and shoot the big stuff the same as the small stuff, it's proving a lot of fun.

Like you say, number one, focus on your targets and what you have to do- the rest takes care of itself, no matter the rifle size.

Hi again Ardent,

The above sow looks like a real grump.
I've never been charged by a bear or any other DG (except the two legged variety).
Primarily in connection with my "fly fishing problem", and a few times in connection to hunting (carrying fresh meat on a pack frame) I have encountered many grizzly and a few black bear.
As part of my job in oil field security, I have also encountered polar bear a very few times.
Also, grizzly are quite common on the field when geese and other ground-nesting birds are present.
(If I were to bait for bears, eggs would be a large part of my recipe.)

Regarding recoil, I have been learning to deal with it a little at a time.
One of my friends here also enjoys large bore rifles and receives nothing more than a little redness on the shoulder from same but mine turns black and blue if I shoot a few too many rounds in one session.
I think the scientific word for this is called being a "sissy".

As far as taste in rifles - great minds think alike.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

im late on this thread, but I love the video! I actually found your video on youtube before seeing this post.

velo dog, I never did understand how bruising on the shoulder from big guns works. I can fire an unlimited number of shots from a 375 H&H without so much as a red spot on my shoulder but after just 6 shots my dads shoulder was black and blue for a week. I proceeded to fire 25 shots in a row from my 416 with full house loads with no side effects at all... strangely my dad refused to shoot the 416. I bought my 505 Gibbs to find my limit for recoil. ;)

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross