Shipping to South Africa vs extra baggage fees

brushmore

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
I'll be heading to the East Cape to visit with Tootabi Hunting Safari's in April. My two teenaged daughters wanted to do something to help some of the locals. I mentioned this to Loodt and he told us about an orphanage near him that will be in need of warm clothing for the children. So my daughters have already started collecting some winter clothes for the kids.

We should have no troubles filling a large duffel bag. So I am wondering what's the best way to get those clothes over there. I am traveling on South African Airlines and the extra bag fees are pretty steep so I am just wondering if there's an alternative. Anyone know if there are any options for shipping that might be cheaper than the baggage fees? I know it's a stretch, but has anyone ever tried to get the airline to give you a break on the extra baggage fee since it's for a good cause?

What you are trying to do is great for the orphans and good publicity for hunters. Even if you can get the airline to wave the fee, do you have the ability to schlep another bag through the airports en route? I know with a rifle case, a carry-on, and a duffle, I'm pretty well tapped out and it falls to dad to pick up the slack if wife and/or kids get tired. Giving a tangible item like an unused coat has more emotional appeal, but cash can be turned into warm clothes upon arrival and is one hell of a lot easier to transport.

Or you could make life easier on the return trip and leave most of your clothes for the orphans when you depart.

Or just instead of another bag, just spread some out among the main bags.

Or just instead of another bag, just spread some out among the main bags.

I might have not been clear with my post but for this trip it's just me so it's only one bag. I figure I'll stuff my bag up until the weight limit but I can easily bring more if it's practical.

DHL may be the cheapest. Tell them you want it sent the slowest way. Watch out on import duties, however. Give it a very low value and id it for what it is - used clothing

You are doing good work and donating something - compared to the rest of your safari, an extra bag isn't all that steep.

I was giving this some thought.
If you are going to take a large amount of cloths.
If you sent it by cargo you might be able to reduce the volumetric weight by having the cloths bailed (compressed into a block and placed in a box.) i.e. weight and size commensurate to avoid a surcharge for volume on any air shipment.
I wish you and your daughters well in this venture.

i know BA waive charges if you contact them and tell them its for an orphanage/kids etc and they give it the ok. not sure about other airlines though.

That is great news. I'll have to check into that.

Hi Brushmore,

This is what i do. All bags and carry on are weighed for no surprises at the airport counter.

For checked Baggage you are allowed up to 50 pounds per bag. Your rifle and one other bag, remember to have wheels on all your bags for ease of moving. Have a system set up to attached the bags to each other for pulling to and through the airport. i do not carry bags any longer. If your family members cannot pull their own bags, it stays home. You will have your hands full with your rifle case, your carry on and checked bag.

My checked bag is usually packed above 40 pounds (shells case inside) with my rifle case at 48.5 pounds, and my carry on bag at 9 kilo's (20 pounds). That is all i can easily move around the parking garage, airport and i have a little difficulty on escalators.

Wear your jacket, and heaviest shoes while traveling, this allows for more room in your bags.

Take a look at what, clothing you really need to bring along and stay on the lite side. Your laundry is done daily or ever other day. I stay with 3 set of clothing. Remember you can give away your clothing at the end of your trip. I usually give a shirt, socks and 1 pair of shoes away. this makes room for gifts that you may purchase.

Look at your carry on bag: if you fly south african air your carry on bag will need to stay at 8 kilo's, they have been weighing the bags prior to boarding and if your bag exceed this you will have to check the bag.

i pack, 1 set of clothing in the carry on bag with my camera and binoculars. snacks and medications if any. right at 8 - 9 kilo's

Set up your check bags and pack your clothing and shoes first and see what room is available per bag. Now you are ready to pack other items and then, look at what you can add to each bag and stay under 50 pounds. You need to pack your bags at least 1 month prior to departure. i have to pack, weigh and repack many times to make sure i have what i need. Give way's are last and many get taken out to make bag weight.

I have also done the following: If your family members have the ability to take a second bag, go to a second hand store and purchase a wheeled bag, and load it up with what ever you want to give away and give the bag away also. The thrift and second hand store is a good place to shop for clothing and shoes.

I see your girls are collecting clothing, remember that our winters are colder than theirs and bulky winder clothing will take up a lot of space. You probably have too many items already.

Men:
long sleeve Shirts - Small & Mediums are the norm -
tennis Shoes - size 6 to 10 is what i have taken. every thing goes.
Socks - mediums & Large
Jackets: lite & medium weight

Women:
Shirts & T-shirts - Small & Mediums - they like color
Tennis Shoes & crocks were a hit
skirts - ask - look at pictures of what the women are wearing
Socks - the ones i have seen in the villages like the socks that come up to their knees
Shawl -
sweaters -

Thanks James for the advice. I'll be checking my gun case and flight bag from my military days. I do plan on traveling light so I'll have plenty of extra space in the flight bag. I figure for the most part all I'll need in it will be extra boots, three sets of clothes, my camelback, and ammo. So I should have plenty of space in there for some clothes. The issue is that if I am reading SAA's website correctly a 3rd bag is $350. For that amount, it might make more sense to just give the orphanage that money instead. I'll check out DHL and SAA Cargo link PeteG mentioned.

The issue is that if I am reading SAA's website correctly a 3rd bag is $350. .

If i understand you correctly you have:
1. Self = 2 check bags - rifle and ammo bags.
2. Wife = 2 checked bags.
3. 1st daughter = 2 checked bags.
4. 2nd daughter = 2 checked bags.

From what i am seeing you have 3 bags now that your wife and children can pack at 50 pounds each for 150 pounds.
Plus, you have 3 bags that there should be room for 20 pounds in each for another 60 pounds.

That is 3 bags and roughly 210 pounds of items for give away. What more do you think you want to do.

What is more important than sheer volume that you are planning on taking, is taking items that the orphanage really wants and needs.
example:
tooth brushes and tooth paste
hair brushes - women like this
bar soap -
shirts
socks.
jackets
sweaters
shoes
Paper & pencils with sharpener.

Save your $350 as mentioned, take your money to the store in Africa and purchase items your PH knows that the orphanage will need.

It will just be myself for this trip. We are planning a bigger family trip later on once I get a feel for traveling to Africa. (Funny how I haven't even made the first trip and I am already thinking about the next!) If the family was coming it would have made things much easier as you mentioned.

i mistakenly read your posting as your family going along.

I suggest that you take your money and purchase items in Africa, rather than paying the $350 to ship a bag.

The items your daughters are collecting, maybe they can be taken on a future trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross