Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
north shore steelhead association
Hunted
rsa
i have read recently that you do not need a clearing agent for finished taxidermy entering canada. can it be shipped directly to my house? if i do need a clearing agent, will the taxidermist or shipper set one up for me or do i take care of this myself?

Kuduman,
Did you ever find anything out about this?

the info that i am getting from my taxidermist is they dont think it is possible. they believe that you still need a clearing agent.

I recently went through the process of getting my trophies back to Canada. You can deal with clearing your trophies (mounted or not) on your own at the airport but it might mean several visits to get it all done. You will need to deal with Customs and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. The CFIA insures there are no possible diseases or contamination entering Canada. Customs is to pay duty/taxes on your package.

I didn't want to deal with the multiple visits and stress to get this done so I got myself an Agent. (Dale Warren/ Talon Distribution, Edmonton, AB (780) 461 8750. Contrary to the information I was provided from CFIA, Dale was able to clear a dip and pack order at the Vancouver airport and the trophies were shipped at my home. CFIA in Ottawa informed me I had to ship trophies to Canada and once cleared, the hides and skulls had to be shipped and processed only by Approved taxidermist which in this case ended up being two different taxidermist for the hides and skulls. A pain in the butt process.

Anyhow, I'm glad I dealt with Dale and I look forward on getting my next Dip and pack order shipped via his services.

The AIRS web site: Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Automated Import Reference System (Airs)

Here is the quote for SOUTH AFRICA
Import Details for Requirement : 24284 Version: 4
HS Description: 970500
97 Works of art, collector's pieces and antiques
05 Collections and collectors' pieces of zoological, botanical, mineralogical, anatomical, historical, archaeological, palaeontological, ethnographic or numismatic interest.
00 Collections and collectors' pieces of zoological, botanical, mineralogical, anatomical, historical, archaeological, palaeontological, ethnographic or numismatic interest.
OGD Extension: 199099
1990 Whole carcass or body parts, taxidermy preserved
99 Other
Origin: ZA
AF Africa
ZA South Africa

Recommendations to CBSA/Documentation and Registration Requirements

Refer to CFIA - veterinary inspection (must be accompanied by the following documents\registrations):
Canada Customs Invoice or Commercial Invoice
Importer / Broker Instructions

DOCUMENTATION INSTRUCTIONS

CANADA CUSTOMS INVOICE
The Canada Customs Invoice or related EDI data elements must clearly indicate the product being imported and the country of origin.

CONDITIONS OF IMPORT

TROPHIES AND OTHER PREPARED ANIMAL PIECES
The following items may be released following visual inspection by a CFIA inspector. They must be free from all feces, blood, dirt and ectoparasites to qualify for exemption from further restrictions. Items that are found to be soiled as above are to be refused entry and either destroyed or returned to the country of origin. Alternatively, they may be directed to an approved premises for disinfection.

Fully tanned hides and skins
Professionally prepared stuffed animals, birds, trophies, and museum specimens in display form.
Professionally prepared horns and hooves in display form.
Bongo drums with skins included, processed hard-dried skins ready to be used as drums and similar other uses.
Wool, feathers, decorative egg shells and down that have been washed and are scrupulously clean on inspection.

ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS
*** Please note that border lookouts and targets take precedence over import requirements indicated in AIRS.
• Any import inspection services provided by CFIA staff are subject to a CFIA user fee.
• May be subject to requirements of Other Government Departments (federal, provincial or territorial).
• Contact an Import Service Centre for further information.

WOOD PACKAGING MATERIAL (for all origins except Continental United States)
Brokers/ Importers should attest to one of the following with respect to the packaging material being used to ship the product:
• "Wood packaging contained with shipment displays the ISPM No. 15 compliant stamp."
OR
• " Wood packaging material is accompanied by a Phytosanitary Certificate, ie. approved treatment per ISPM No. 15. " (Please note that phytosanitary certificates are not accepted for wood packaging materials originating from China)
OR
• "Wood packaging material is made out of manufactured wood which is exempted from ISPM No. 15."
OR (when it applies)
• "No wood packaging contained with shipment."

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CBSA
D-19 - Products of Animal Origin (includes honey):
Included in This Section:
• Animal products made from the flesh, blood, bones, hoofs, horns, offal, skin, wool, hide, hair, feathers or plumes of an animal, and any other product of animal origin not specified elsewhere, such as inedible meat and poultry products, highly processed animal products, honey, and bee products imported for pharmaceutical, industrial use, animal food and human consumption.
• Any products of animal origin in-bond, in-transit and Canadian products of animal origin exported and returned back to Canada.
Applicable Legislation
• Health of Animals Act and Regulations
• Meat Inspection Act and Regulations
• Plant Protection Act and Regulations
• Honey Regulations
Note
• Samples ■ Importations of products of animal origin as samples that are destined for analysis, evaluation, testing, research, or food exhibition may be imported under the same Animal Health and Production Division (AHPD) requirements as a commercial shipment or with an animal health import permit. These items must be detained at the first point of arrival and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) must be contacted for authority to release. Other government department requirements may also apply.

Exemptions:
1) Importations are consigned for use and human consumption of the importer and not for resale or distribution when ;
• The weight of the importations does not exceed 20kg.
• They are part of an immigrant's effect.
• Is carried on a vessel, train, motor vehicle, aircraft or other means of transportation for use as food for the crew or passengers thereof.
• Is consigned to a national or an international exhibition, weighs 100 kg or less.
• They are imported from the United States onto the Akwesasne Reserve for use by an Akwesasne resident. This does not apply to a food product that is shipped to Canada from another country through the United States.

Additional References
AHPD-DSAE-IE-2001-5 - EGG PRODUCTS
Health of Animals Act and Regulations

any clearing agents in toronto? i am going to Namibia in september doing my home work now.

I tried to find an agent in Eastern Canada because I live near Ottawa but I wasn't able to locate one. I figured it would end up less costly to deal with someone closer to home. Dealing with an agent in Western Canada didn't cost any more money. Air freight estimates from South Africa to Eastern or Western Canada was the same and shipping through a trucking company was the same wether it be from 200 miles away or 2000 miles away. I'm leaving for Zimbabwe in 2 weeks and I will use the same agent as mentioned above. All went smoothly and for me, that is more important than finding an agent closer to home. If you do find an agent in Eastern Canada, please do post his information to help us all Canadian Hunters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois