SHALLOM IS BACK...

As a rather uninformed and inexperienced commentator here I would venture this observation regarding Tanzania, Botswana and any other Southern African country presently wrestling with land use (hunting) issues.

It is only a matter of time and economics before the respective governments come to the same conclusion that ranchers have in South Texas. Regardless of history, the only sure path to stability and sustainability is objectively determining the highest - best use for a given parcel of land.

When you total the economic impact of but one major safari effort in a country like Tanzania it is hard to imagine another agrarian scenario, whether farming, ranching or poaching that even comes close.

While these countries may not want to consider themselves the "World's Hunting Lease" if that is the activity that a) brings in the most money b) provides a sustainable industry and finally, c) preserves and protects their natural resource then facts just have to be accepted as what they are...facts.

It is clear to see that presently, the whole of Europe is in turmoil because they spent 40 years in an attempt to be something that they were not, ignored the facts and plowed ahead in the face of overwhelming economic contradiction.
It would seem that many of the countries of Southern Africa are trying desperately to repeat the process.

I have always considered the people of this region to be smarter and wiser than that.

While the governments of many countries move with as much haste as foreign debt will allow, sacrificing much to attain technological parity with the West, considering and emphasizing that path as the true avenue to their "future" they place at risk their "hole" card. That is to say, the lifeline that would provide a prosperous and sustainable way of life for all of their people.

What I am awkwardly trying to say to all of Africa is this:

"I can take you to Silicon Valley or Austin, Texas and show you the future.....You can walk me out on the Serengeti and show me the past."

In our rapidly changing World, there is abundant and most probably equal value in both.

In a world that is slaughtering their chickens wholesale, and you find you have the last hen left, one that if you care for properly can make you more chickens, you don't trade it for a computer!

What I am awkwardly trying to say to all of Africa is this:
"I can take you to Silicon Valley or Austin, Texas and show you the future.....You can walk me out on the Serengeti and show me the past."
In our rapidly changing World, there is abundant and most probably equal value in both.
In a world that is slaughtering their chickens wholesale, and you find you have the last hen left, one that if you care for properly can make you more chickens, you don't trade it for a computer!

Very well said... what we must do now on this end is make sure we learn everything about hens and how best to raise chickens. We also need to control our chicken eating addicts and ensure our chicken story does not turn into the dodo bird story. Easier said than done when everyone could use a chicken or two. One of the challenges I am undertaking, is to promote and protect what you have just expressed - protecting resources that are in shortage elsewhere - training the practical skills we need in context of our value - benefiting from the marriage of human resource and natural resource value.

The angle that always needs to be considered in an African context is the reality factor - frustrations and meager existence do not nurture long term strategic think tanks... with majority rural population living in poverty, high illiteracy rates, low life expectancy and dirty politics in practice... there is a real challenge in getting the majority to trust hen-rearing intentions. But if the trusted, elected and trusted representatives will work hard to ensure the right strategies are applied and the benefits carry down to where it matters - then we become the success model known as AFC (African Fried Chicken). Cheers.

AFC Slogan - "Smokin Barrel Fresh"

..... The angle that always needs to be considered in an African context is the reality factor - frustrations and meager existence do not nurture long term strategic think tanks... with majority rural population living in poverty, high illiteracy rates, low life expectancy and dirty politics in practice... there is a real challenge in getting the majority to trust . . . .

Wow, sounds just like rural Texas in the 1950's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross