Shady deals in Zimbabwe - Hunters need to wise up!

Question:
What can PHASA do ??
Can they have there PH license pulled ?
Why I ask, we have a similar situation.
Robert if the mentioned company/individual is a member of PHASA he is open to diciplinary measures.
We need to remember that PHASA,NAPHA,ZPHGA are not regulatory bodies they do not issue professional Hunter's licenses, so strictly speaking these professional bodies can not revoke a license.

The could however file a report to relevant nature conservation Authorities which could lead to a licsense being revoked on discretion and sole decision of the relevant nature conservation authorities (govt.)

I would lodge a official complaint at the relevant professional body and follow up on it.

I hope this helps.

My best always

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot copy the text. It is about our USF&W proposing sanctions against Mozambique. They claim that most of the rhino poaching in Krueger is done from Mozambique. So the world police (US government) must step in and rectify the situation.

Again nothing specific in the article other than USF&W is now actively investigating a request to impose sanctions, but if it affects US citizen's ability to hunt in Mozambique it could harm the operators.

Jaco,

Do you not sleep at night?

Very Interesting.

My Taxidermist as asked his client to ask more questions and ask for the past 2 years of clientele for the outfitter / PH for contact information and references. Do not book a hunt until the hunter has done some research before booking the hunt. He is hearing of more shady dealings by outfitters and PH, where the international client is being hung out to dry so to say. Plus hunters returning with below average trophy's. And sometimes the trophy are taking years to be exported. There fore he is asking clients to make sure that the trophy(s) are being treated very well in the field and skinning shed for quality work in their trophy mounts.

He also is suggest that hunters stick with well know outfitters and PH to avoid some of it issues he is hearing and seeing. Sometimes paying more and booking with a quality PH & outfitter is a good piece of mind.

Jaco,

Not often Mike :) it is a massive problem that's very true, pretty much all the Rhino was poached out of the trans frontier portion out of Moz and spill over effect into Kruger is badly felt.

Moz has an incredibly strong Chinese presence and I believe it's got something to do with it add the fact that you have an easy export route with big Harbours (ocean ports)in Maputo (relatively close to SA) and you have a great smuggling route.

A major concern indeed.

My best

Jaco, thank you. For your answer.....
We had a phone call from a person asking if we can help get his trophies back to the states from a hunt in Zim with a South African outfitter.
He book the hunt through a well known booking agency.
The hunt took place in 2012 and he does not know where his trophies are.
We fond his trophies and are in the possession of the Zim outfitter who did not get paid !!!!!!
I told him to get in tough with the booking agency and PHASA......

Let me know if you need help with contacts or a referal person at PHASA. These guys are hurting all of the reputable outfitters in Africa.

My best always

Thank you, the person has to file a complaint with PHASA....
Then we can help..

Best
Be safe and Happy hunting.....

Basically the article in the thread is discussing potential upcoming US trade bans on trade with Moz. to put pressure on them to address poaching.

So, potentially another political mess.

As Jaco says there are crooks everywhere. This is a really sad story. The mad wife on the flight home would not be my idea of fun.

Basically the article in the thread is discussing potential upcoming US trade bans on trade with Moz. to put pressure on them to address poaching.

So, potentially another political mess.
I must be honest implementing trade restrictions and or bans to one of the...if not the poorest countries in Africa makes zero sense in reality, in theory yes.
It is a window dressing move to say the least, with countries like China (termites of Africa) running rampant I see very little to no good coming from it....

Don't get me wrong I understand why I am just seriously doubting the effectiveness of it.

My best always

Jaco,

The answer to your question Mike is no he doesn't. Spends half the night chatting on Facebook then is up early posting on AH. Wouldn't you say @Jaco Strauss? :sneaky:

The answer to your question Mike is no he doesn't. Spends half the night chatting on Facebook then is up early posting on AH. Wouldn't you say @Jaco Strauss? :sneaky:
Hey hey! On Friday you'll be rid of me again I'll be hunting!:A Way To Go::E Oh Yeah::K Booby:

You mean elephant hunts cost more than $6,000?:E Horrified:

Do you mind sharing the names and companies of the South African PH and the Zim learner PH that were involved so we can file it to memory?

All the best.

African Hunter published a bit on it! You can see more there!

Robert if the mentioned company/individual is a member of PHASA he is open to diciplinary measures.
We need to remember that PHASA,NAPHA,ZPHGA are not regulatory bodies they do not issue professional Hunter's licenses, so strictly speaking these professional bodies can not revoke a license.

The could however file a report to relevant nature conservation Authorities which could lead to a licsense being revoked on discretion and sole decision of the relevant nature conservation authorities (govt.)

I would lodge a official complaint at the relevant professional body and follow up on it.

I hope this helps.

My best always

Hello Jaco...long time!
These Associations have no real teeth! The individual may be expelled from them, but that doesn't stop them from operating unfortunately!
Now if we could get the Assn's legislated like the 'Law Society' where membership is compulsory then disciplining would be a breeze.
As one says there's always gonna be people flying under the radar to get what they want. Money speaks louder than words they say....and it does!
Zim just isn't capable of 'cleaning house' any more than any other country. Zim is just that small that these issues loom larger here because those of us that care will speak up!
The clients in this issue were not even pissed off at the outfitter when he pitched up at the court dressed in rugby shorts and psuedo crocs! He clearly paid their way clear.
Kind regards
E

As Jaco says there are crooks everywhere. This is a really sad story. The mad wife on the flight home would not be my idea of fun.
hahaha! By the time she got on that plane, she was just sooo grateful to be going home! But back home when she was on her own territory would have been another thing!
Whats sad is that they were not arrogant youngsters...they were in their late 60's! She needed daily meds etc! How she didn't have heart attack I don't know!

Jaco, thank you. For your answer.....
We had a phone call from a person asking if we can help get his trophies back to the states from a hunt in Zim with a South African outfitter.
He book the hunt through a well known booking agency.
The hunt took place in 2012 and he does not know where his trophies are.
We fond his trophies and are in the possession of the Zim outfitter who did not get paid !!!!!!
I told him to get in tough with the booking agency and PHASA......

Zim Customs will not release the goods without having all the banking docs in place so until the CD1 form is there to show it's all paid for, nothing can leave! Unless it's smuggled!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Jaco...long time!
These Associations have no real teeth! The individual may be expelled from them, but that doesn't stop them from operating unfortunately!
Now if we could get the Assn's legislated like the 'Law Society' where membership is compulsory then disciplining would be a breeze.
As one says there's always gonna be people flying under the radar to get what they want. Money speaks louder than words they say....and it does!
Zim just isn't capable of 'cleaning house' any more than any other country. Zim is just that small that these issues loom larger here because those of us that care will speak up!
The clients in this issue were not even pissed off at the outfitter when he pitched up at the court dressed in rugby shorts and psuedo crocs! He clearly paid their way clear.
Kind regards
E

Very true as mentioned earlier these bodies are not regulatory bodies, which in itself is a good thing, what I do believe though is that hunters should book with members of these professional bodies, as we as PHASA members and you as ZPHGA members encourage on a continual basis..... If not at least potential clients can contact these bodies and enquire about any disciplinary measures that could or have been taken in the past.

I believe that membership should be compulsory as mentioned this will provide a track able record of an outfitter so to speak.

Good to have you back! ;)

My best always

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.