Semi-Custom Ruger

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by ikeda, Mar 11, 2012.

1. ikeda

ikeda AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, TSRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Namibia (3), Zimbabwe
    Being a lefty along with my son our selection of bolt rifles is limited and usually expensive. Having come into a lifetime supply of 9.3mm RWS H Mantel bullets we decided to get us what I consider to be just about the perfect all round Africa rifles. We each started with a left handed Ruger 3006 and had them re-barreled to 9.3x62. Each was fitted with a NECG banded front sight base along with the NECG quick detachable aperture rear sight, and classic 4x Lyman scopes. My son went for the 23" length and I opted for a 22". I'm a big guy so I added a 1" recoil pad for the added length of pull. Thus we ended up with extremely capable left hand rifles good for 99% of the situations we might encounter in Africa, and costing a lot less than the CZ left hand .375 H&H!
    I'm thinking about taking a .375 Ruger African and re-barreling it to .458 to take care of that last 1% of African situations.
  2. Bert the Turtle

Bert the Turtle AH Veteran

My Photos:
    I've been thinking about re-barreling an extra A-bolt in 30-06 that I have. I was hoping that 9.3x62 would be a straight re-barrel job. Thanks!