scopes for 375 and 243

bassasdaindia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
hello,and firstly apologies to all if I am repeating a thread that has been addressed.

I have seen replies regarding scopes for 375 however they date back to 2010 and my thoughts are that new products are available.

I need to scope my 375 and 243,I have a leeupold 3x9 which I want to fit to the 243,however I am considering fitting the 3x9 onto the 375 and getting a larger scope 4.5-14x50 for the 243.

my question is the following : will the 3x9 work correctly on the 375 or will it be better suited for the 243 ?

all my current rifles are scoped with leeupold and I will definitely remain with the brand.
your experienced replies will be greatly appreciated.

What are you planning to hunt with these rifles and where?
Open country or Thick bush?

Plains Game or Dangerous Game (375)

Varmint with the 243 or ie. only reason I can see for having a 14X power on this rifle.
Maybe tough to sneak up on Springbok in the Karoo.

the 375 would be used for plains game initially and in open country whilst the option of using the 243 in the Karoo was part of the reason.

X2

Either the 3-9x, 4-12x or 4.5-14x would be good on the .243, and Leupold makes a nice 4.5-14 with the Varmint hunters reticle that I like if that suits your purpose for the gun.

The popular opinion in most cases seems to be 1.5-6x for the .375 but 3-9x would work in most cases as well.

X2

Either the 3-9x, 4-12x or 4.5-14x would be good on the .243, and Leupold makes a nice 4.5-14 with the Varmint hunters reticle that I like if that suits your purpose for the gun.

The popular opinion in most cases seems to be 1.5-6x for the .375 but 3-9x would work in most cases as well.

I think people drop the power down on the 375 for Dangerous Game.
If you ever decide to start after the big stuff in the thick stuff I would open the scope up for sure, or get rid of it all together.

Sounds like you have the right set up then. Good luck.

My take is a little different. I would absolutely fit a 3 - 9 on the 375 in all cases except if you were to hunt elephant. I used a 1.5 - 6 on my 375 in Africa and found that it was not enough scope for the smaller species like impala. Even on the large PG animals when trying to aim through scrub is difficuilt with a low magnification scope. Here in Australia I hunt nearly every day with my 375 and the average shot is under a 100 meters on a large deer size animal and even in our bush the 3-9 is about right. On 3 power you can shoot under 20 meters and on 9 power you have the magnification to place an accurate shot at 100 meter and beyond.

I do not use a 243 and thus do not really have the experience with this caliber, however I would think that 4-12 or similar makes sence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!