Scoped Double, Why?

Still waiting on my first one. My only excuse in the past has been not enough MO ney! But will be at DSC in two weeks, and who knows what kind of deal may be may there, between Champlin and John Rigby . And then again I may come home pouting!
Go for it!! :D Beers:

I'm safe then, was divorced 17 years ago!!!

17 years single and still no double rifle? Suffer in silence. Here on AH, we can only help those who want to be helped. :ROFLMAO:

I spent most of my money on double rifles, proper Mausers and hunting safaris, the rest I just wasted.

I have seen a couple of double vs bolt competitions before and the double always won. The guy on the double in this video knows what he is doing. The bolt guy could be faster. Especially if he kept the stock on his shoulder. Still, it is fun to watch.

I don't really have a position on which is faster for 4 shots, but this competition in no way demonstrates what a competent operator can do with a bolt gun. No disrespect intended to the operator of the bolt gun, but he needs formal education and practice. This video is like putting me on a carbon fiber race bike and Lance Armstrong on a Schwinn StingRay and concluding that the Schwinn is faster.

I don't really have a position on which is faster for 4 shots, but this competition in no way demonstrates what a competent operator can do with a bolt gun. No disrespect intended to the operator of the bolt gun, but he needs formal education and practice. This video is like putting me on a carbon fiber race bike and Lance Armstrong on a Schwinn StingRay and concluding that the Schwinn is faster.

The bike analogy fits me as well.:D

I agree that the video is a poor example. It was the best I could find however.:(

Hopefully some one else has a better competition video they could post. @DUGABOY1 do you have any? I for one would enjoy seeing it.

I spent most of my money on double rifles, proper Mausers and hunting safaris, the rest I just wasted.

Trying to catch up with you Dog, just have a long way to go!!!

I'm not an owner (Yet) of a double rifle, but I see lots of pictures of doubles with scopes and I'm wondering why?

My idea of a double is a fairly close range gun that can be quick and very deadly in an instant when needed. Putting a scope in the way of the of or replacing the open sights seems wrong. I understand no one should be making snap shots at anything, but that's where the double excels.

If one has the time to shoulder and take careful aim through an optic other than maybe a red dot, shouldn't they be using a bolt action off sticks?

I'm sure there are good reasons why and look forward to hearing them.

Jim
HI JIM IM 69 SHOOTING A SABATTI 92 500 NE I I HAD A REDFIELD EXTENDED EYE RELIEF SCOPE 1X5 AND I BET I CAN TAKE A SHOT AS QUICK AS A BOLT ACTION I HAVE WEATHERBY BOLT ACTION 460 WITH NIKON SCOPE BUT THATS A DIFFERENT ANIMAL
THEY ARE BOTH INTENDED FOR ELEPHANT AND THE FEDS,AND OBAMA MESSED THINGS BIG TIME BY PROHIBITING THE IMPORT OF TROPHY ELEPHANT TO THE USA THERE ARE ONLY 2 COUNTRIES IN Africa That CAN BE IMPORTED NAMIBIA AND SOOUTH AFRICA AND THE DEMAND HAS SKYROCKETED THE PRICES FOR 30 TO 40 LBS 38000 TO 42000$$$$ TOO MUCH ,

YOU SAID IT SPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN USING SCOPED RIFLES FOR MORE THAN 2 DECADES
BACK A FEW YEARS AGO I WOULD SWEAR BY OPEN SIGHTS FOR DEER SPECIALLY WITH DOGS AND I DID PRETTU WELL BUT LIKE EVERY THING ELSE ONE GETS OLD AND THE REFLEXES AND THE EYES ARE NOT THAT YOUNG I WOULSD APPRECIATE PEOPLE DONT KNOCK DOWN ON AGING HUNTERS THEY MAY NOT HAVE WHAT YOUTH HAVE BUT THEY DONT LACK THE EXPERIENCE I GUESS AGE IS A BONUS FOR ME

I love my doubles, and I can get off two shots very quickly. However, I wouldn't compete with four from a magazine rifle.
I CERTAINLY SAY THAT WHEN THE FIRST SHOT IS NOT A BLESSING THE SECOND WOULD PREVENT VISITING THE CREATOR BEFORE TIME

the main reason not to scope a double is for quick close quarter target acquisition.......and of course the beautiful lines that get destroyed when you fit any kind of scope! (Even my RMR, but especially then Leupold 1.5-5 scope!)
AGREED IT MAKES IT LOOKS FUNNY BUT WHAT THE HECK ITS YOUR RIFLE YOU DO WHAT EVER IS BEST FOR YOU DIREGARDING OTHER OPINIONS LIKE I HAVE SEEEN THE SILLY ONES LIKE YOUMUST BE BLIND TO USE A SCOPE THATS NOT IN ALL FAIRNESS A NICE THING TO SAY IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THE PERSONAND WHAT COLOR HE WANTS TO WEAR

I think it's ugly to scope a double. The simple fact is most people did not grow up shooting iron sights and can't do it. Ask some guides and they will tell you. As for me I grew up with an open sight BB gun or .22 in my hand. I love iron sights. I just need someone to float me a loan or loan me a big double gun!
Regards,
Philip

at 77 i can still shoot with open sights if i have my long eye relief computer glasses on,but in the field i dont think the d.g. is going to wait for me to put them on.so,on my double,srs1 red dot.

A couple reasons:

1.) for light gathering for dusk shots on leopard a scope is very beneficial

2.) if you want to hunt plains game at great distances, you can calibrate a scope to be perfect on ONE of the barrels and take much longer shots on non-dangerous game

3.) on elephant many want a reflex sight (scope mount) for instant acquisition at point blank range. I don't buy this one but many do.

old eyes,the best reason.cant hit what you cant see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg