Scope removal for travel

Discussion in 'Hunting Equipment, Gear & Optics' started by charleslabounty, Jan 23, 2014.

1. charleslabounty

charleslabounty AH Member

Member of:
    NRA, IDPA, RTBA
    Hi,
    Planning my first Safari to SA or Namibia.
    I'm thinking maybe I should remove my scope and pack it in my carry-on to avoid damage from the baggage handling gremlins.
    If I'm sighted in and using Redfield base and rings, how much off would I be.
    And I could pack my bore-sight and the PH always has you check your sight/scope with a live fire test.
    Thought and opinions. (I can't be the first person to have thought about this.)
    thanks
  2. BnC 04

BnC 04 TITANIUM SUPPORTER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, RMEF, DU, NWTF, NRA
    Hunted:
    USA/Canada/Europe/ Africa
    Charles

I would leave the scope on your rifle and just ensure you have a good quality guncase for the ride over. IF you go with the plan of removing the scope for the ride then I would suggest a QD (Quick Detach) system from say Talley ect ect. I have 2 QD's from Talley and every time at the range I pull the scope and remount to check proper zero and have not had an issue yet.
  3. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    You are certainly not the first person to have thought about detaching a scope.

As stated get a good gun case.
    Hands down easier than wasting your time at the range.

To date, with all the bumping banging and riding in the back of trucks and planes the only thing to loosen on my rifle set up has been the bipod mounting screw. Which is easily hand tightened.

One shot and we're off hunting.
    Lucky me.
  4. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan
    Another vote for a good gun case, surrounded by foam in your gun case will be, by far, the most secure place a scope could be. I haven't had my sights knocked off yet. the only time I had to make a change was a slight adjustment for elevation and that will not be a factor in Africa.
  5. toxic111

toxic111 AH Veteran

Hunted:
    Canada (BC, AB, & SK), Eastern Cape SA
    Another one to say leave it on & get a real good gun case. I had to make some adjustments when I was there (took 3 shots) as my gun was sighted in at a much lower temp & different elevation. had to tweak it a bit once I got home too..
  6. Rob44

Rob44 BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Member of:
    NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
    I saw a test for a popular brand of quick release mount after deciding I wanted to install a set on my CZ,,The test were dismal then a Member turned me on to Alaska Arms a little pricey but nicely made,,
  7. 35bore

35bore AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, France
    Ditto with the other comments... If I may add, if your rifle has iron sights on it already the QD scope rings are a good idea anyway. Regardless of whether you take it off for travel or not, it's a nice option to have if your scope get's screwed up during the hunt. With the Redfield/Burris,Leupold style rings i.e.beavertail front ring, it is not recommended to twist the scope off with the front ring anyway. Take a look ate the Warne and Leupold QD rings and bases, a little pricey, but hey, it's a pricey hunt.
  8. Red Leg

Red Leg GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI NRA DSC life memberships
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada
    I use Warne or claw mounts on almost everything. They absolutely work as advertised.
  9. Nyati

Nyati AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
    I keep my scope on, and use a good gun case.

So far, no problems.
  10. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Veteran

Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    We left the scopes on our rifles and used a very good gun case. The cases were ICC alum cases. Bought them direct from the manufacture. I also have them for my two 50bmg rifles. Excellent cases and can take the abuse handed out by the airlines etc.
    Rifles shot perfectly both when we got to Africa and when we got back home.