Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, IDPA, RTBA
Hunted
US and now RSA
Hi,
Planning my first Safari to SA or Namibia.
I'm thinking maybe I should remove my scope and pack it in my carry-on to avoid damage from the baggage handling gremlins.
If I'm sighted in and using Redfield base and rings, how much off would I be.
And I could pack my bore-sight and the PH always has you check your sight/scope with a live fire test.
Thought and opinions. (I can't be the first person to have thought about this.)
thanks

Hi,
Planning my first Safari to SA or Namibia.
I'm thinking maybe I should remove my scope and pack it in my carry-on to avoid damage from the baggage handling gremlins.
If I'm sighted in and using Redfield base and rings, how much off would I be.
And I could pack my bore-sight and the PH always has you check your sight/scope with a live fire test.
Thought and opinions. (I can't be the first person to have thought about this.)
thanks

Charles

I would leave the scope on your rifle and just ensure you have a good quality guncase for the ride over. IF you go with the plan of removing the scope for the ride then I would suggest a QD (Quick Detach) system from say Talley ect ect. I have 2 QD's from Talley and every time at the range I pull the scope and remount to check proper zero and have not had an issue yet.

Charles

I would leave the scope on your rifle and just ensure you have a good quality guncase for the ride over. .......

You are certainly not the first person to have thought about detaching a scope.

As stated get a good gun case.
Hands down easier than wasting your time at the range.

To date, with all the bumping banging and riding in the back of trucks and planes the only thing to loosen on my rifle set up has been the bipod mounting screw. Which is easily hand tightened.

One shot and we're off hunting.
Lucky me.

Another vote for a good gun case, surrounded by foam in your gun case will be, by far, the most secure place a scope could be. I haven't had my sights knocked off yet. the only time I had to make a change was a slight adjustment for elevation and that will not be a factor in Africa.

Another one to say leave it on & get a real good gun case. I had to make some adjustments when I was there (took 3 shots) as my gun was sighted in at a much lower temp & different elevation. had to tweak it a bit once I got home too..

I saw a test for a popular brand of quick release mount after deciding I wanted to install a set on my CZ,,The test were dismal then a Member turned me on to Alaska Arms a little pricey but nicely made,,

Ditto with the other comments... If I may add, if your rifle has iron sights on it already the QD scope rings are a good idea anyway. Regardless of whether you take it off for travel or not, it's a nice option to have if your scope get's screwed up during the hunt. With the Redfield/Burris,Leupold style rings i.e.beavertail front ring, it is not recommended to twist the scope off with the front ring anyway. Take a look ate the Warne and Leupold QD rings and bases, a little pricey, but hey, it's a pricey hunt.

I use Warne or claw mounts on almost everything. They absolutely work as advertised.

I keep my scope on, and use a good gun case.

So far, no problems.

We left the scopes on our rifles and used a very good gun case. The cases were ICC alum cases. Bought them direct from the manufacture. I also have them for my two 50bmg rifles. Excellent cases and can take the abuse handed out by the airlines etc.
Rifles shot perfectly both when we got to Africa and when we got back home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maximo5631

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,