Heym 88

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
US
Upon looking for a scope for my 375 H&H, I am looking at 1-4 x 24 and 1-6x 24. In you guys opinion, do you think it's that critical to gain 2x more with the 1-6 x 24's? Iv'e found some good deals on 1-4's but not 1-6's. The scope will be used for plains game, AND also a backup rifle for buffalo. I wouldn't think the extra 2 power would make that big of difference on plains game.

The extra cost of the 1-6 will only hurt once... Wishing you had the extra power could never happen, or could happen every hunt? I have no idea of the quality, but have you looked at a Minox 1.2-6x24... pretty good pricing in some places.

Personally if I was faced with the choice your discussing, I would go with a Leupold VXR in 2-7x33. More power for PG and 2x should be fine as a backup on DG... I find I can still shoot both eyes open on 2x.

As my eyes age, both power flexibility and quality of glass become much more important.

I know you pay more, but the added flexibility of the 1-6 is worth it, in my view. The fact that you say you'll use this for plains game reinforces that view - I'd say 4x would be light for most plains game shots (unless you're young and have very good eyes!). Even 6x can be a bit light - I've taken shots up to about 350 yards (not regularly, but 200 yards can be a regular occurrence, particularly if you hunt springbok and black wildebeest, for example) and I'm glad to have a scope on my plains game rifle that goes to 9x.

Another way to look at it is that you don't often see anyone with binos that are 6x, let alone 4x.

I would go with a 2-7 or 2-8 only because you mentioned PG hunting otherwise a 1-4, or 1-6 will suffice for DG as mentioned above. Don't bother with 30mm tubes as you will probably not need the extra brightness if hunting PG plus they are heavier. Choose a reticle that your comfortable with. I don't think you need reticles that feature BDC's, hash marks, MOA dots etc. Learn to shoot a good thicker wire Duplex, Heavy Duplex, or German #4 style of reticle, etc.

I use and have 1-6x24 scopes on some of my rifles , however I would suggest the 2.5-8x36 , which I also use and prefer

I use and have 1-6x24 scopes on some of my rifles , however I would suggest the 2.5-8x36 , which I also use and prefer

I second the vote for 2.5-8x36. Leupold VX-3 is a great scope and I have one on my 338 win mag for elk hunting. I will take a shot up to 300 yards with it. Here's a review from a few years back: http://randywakeman.com/Leupold_VX-3_2.htm

Personally, I don't like 1 power on the low end. You see half of your rifle barrel and it's distracting to me. I have a 1.5-5 x 20 Leupold VX-3 on my 375 Ruger. You can see some of the barrel and it has plenty field of view. It also has plenty of eye relief at 4 inches.

I am a Leupold fan and have Leupold on all of my rifles. However, I just mounted a Minox, 1.2 X 6 on my 375. Thus far, I am well pleased with it. It has RTA, rapid target acquisition, and an illuminated reticle. Clarity is great.

Is yours a firedot model?
My newest Leupold is a VX6 1-6x24 with the Firedot 4 reticle.... Love it so far the best of any scope I have.. However I have not hunted with it yet. Also have a couple of the VX6 2-12x42 but they have the standard Firedot duplex and are very simple and work well. I was not looking for light weight on that 375 and wanted ultimate flexibility on that gun with high quality glass. This should be a great scope for leopard, croc, or hippo in water (although I hope to take on land with a 505) and I used it on lion and more PG than any other rifle/scope combo that I have.

For a dark colored animal in the shadows, like buffalo, it is nice having the illuminated reticle. And I suspect it could be handy on a leopard. And any PG at dawn or dusk.

I cannot argue with the 2.5-8 VX3 and my wife has that on her 30-06 and loves it for the great eye relief. It is fast and easy for her to find the view through it. However when you look through that scope and a VX6 beside it, there is no choice... Unless you want small and compact and then it is a top choice for the money. The 1.5 - 5 x 20 scopes are fine as well... Just depends upon what you like and want.

The 1-4 options are great on bigger bore (over .4) rifles that don't have the reach of a 375.

I hope you can find lots of these choices to look through before you buy.

I'm used to heavy crosshairs as suggested. Iv'e done plenty of hunting with them. There was a good deal on a 1-6 x 24 Schmidt and Bender, I know the brightness and quality of those scopes from sniper stuff ( had a S&B on my accuracy international, it was a PMII). Thanks for your input guys, I'll keep looking. Need to sell mine I have listed in classifieds first.

Thanks for putting this thread where it belongs, I should have done it right to start with lol.

I second the vote for 2.5-8x36. Leupold VX-3 is a great scope and I have one on my 338 win mag for elk hunting. I will take a shot up to 300 yards with it. Here's a review from a few years back: http://randywakeman.com/Leupold_VX-3_2.htm

Personally, I don't like 1 power on the low end. You see half of your rifle barrel and it's distracting to me. I have a 1.5-5 x 20 Leupold VX-3 on my 375 Ruger. You can see some of the barrel and it has plenty field of view. It also has plenty of eye relief at 4 inches.
I third the vote. I have a Nikon Monarch 3 2-8x32 Nikoplex on my .338. Clarity is crystal clear. I have Leupold VX 3's, Zeiss HD5's, and Nikon Monarch 3's and you really can't tell the difference in clarity. Zeiss will be a little brighter at dusk.

You know my opinion on this.

I put a Zeus HD5 2x10 on my 375. I really like the versatility it gives. Buffalo at 10 yards or kudu at 300 and I have a scope and rifle that can do the job.

My newest Leupold is a VX6 1-6x24 with the Firedot 4 reticle.... Love it so far the best of any scope I have.. However I have not hunted with it yet. Also have a couple of the VX6 2-12x42 but they have the standard Firedot duplex and are very simple and work well. I was not looking for light weight on that 375 and wanted ultimate flexibility on that gun with high quality glass. This should be a great scope for leopard, croc, or hippo in water (although I hope to take on land with a 505) and I used it on lion and more PG than any other rifle/scope combo that I have.

For a dark colored animal in the shadows, like buffalo, it is nice having the illuminated reticle. And I suspect it could be handy on a leopard. And any PG at dawn or dusk.

I cannot argue with the 2.5-8 VX3 and my wife has that on her 30-06 and loves it for the great eye relief. It is fast and easy for her to find the view through it. However when you look through that scope and a VX6 beside it, there is no choice... Unless you want small and compact and then it is a top choice for the money. The 1.5 - 5 x 20 scopes are fine as well... Just depends upon what you like and want.

The 1-4 options are great on bigger bore (over .4) rifles that don't have the reach of a 375.

I hope you can find lots of these choices to look through before you buy.

Bob, if I understood you right, the VX6 1-6 had better glass than the VX6 2-12x42 you mentioned right? also you've killed plains game with the V6 1-6x24 correct?

I would go for the extra zoom, no harm, but will help. 2-6 or 2.5-8.

e got it narrowed to a 1-6x24 from various mfg's to a 2-7 or 8 x 33 Luey. I don't want to remove my rear sight if I can help it, nor do I want to raise scope too high and lose a good cheek weld.

same philosophy I've had with all my scopes lol.

Bob, if I understood you right, the VX6 1-6 had better glass than the VX6 2-12x42 you mentioned right? also you've killed plains game with the V6 1-6x24 correct?
No, I have not even mounted the 1-6 yet and the glass quality should be the same within the VX6 line. It should be a step up from the VXR or VX3 lines of Leopold scopes. I've used the 2-12 version a lot and killed more with it than any other centerfire rifle and scope I have. Comparing it to my Swarovski Z6i, which I think lists at about $3200, I like the Leupold VX6 2-12 just as much and have two of them... I think they cost under $1000, in fact the one I got on a couple piggy back deals and it was downright cheap.

As for the VX6 1-6, I have only looked through it but from what I see, it is my favorite so far with the firedot 4 reticle... That could change when I get it mounted and hunt with it? It was ordered and arrived like a day before I left on my last big Africa trip... so no time to sight it in. I took it with as a spare but never needed it.

If you are on a budget, I suggest the Leupold scopes as a good high quality option and for a 375 or bigger gun that you are not looking to keep the weight down.. I really prefer their 30mm tube scopes over the 1" models. If you want lighter weight or a more compact size, go with a 1" tube. I also really like the illuminated reticles.

e got it narrowed to a 1-6x24 from various mfg's to a 2-7 or 8 x 33 Luey. I don't want to remove my rear sight if I can help it, nor do I want to raise scope too high and lose a good cheek weld.
So an option is the VXR 2-7 .... I was "scoping out" some variations to respond here and got sidetracked on Optics Planet... just ordered 3 demo scopes, basically all of the above for about 40% off. $266 for a 2-7 and $500 for a VX6 1-6. Best I've seen!

BTW, I can see my front and rear sight on 2x but it is not pronounced and I have never noticed it when shooting an animal.
Again depending upon budget, the VX6 is a lot of scope for the money and you might consider the 1-6 or 2-12 models... Either should do fine with the 1x only having an advantage for elephant, possibly lion close up in a Kalahari type hunt, or possibly buffalo. However 2 x will do ok in those situations as well. I rarely find myself dialing up much more than 6x on a 376 unless I want a close look at something, which does happen. The 1-6 is also a more compact scope. On a 416 the 1-6 is the clear choice, and it is a good choice on a 375, but so is a scope with a minimum of 2x... I would draw the line at 3x being too much for the minimum power. Unless you wanted a fixed power for reasons mostly only clear to old guys in AK;) Then perhaps a 2.5x or a 4x? But those are not for me on a 375... Now if your budget is lower than a VX6, I would suggest a Leupold VXR in 2-12.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg