Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI Life member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
Hunted
USA, Canada, Mexico, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Russia
SCIlogo.png

SCI Celebrates An Early Victory In the Fight Against Firearms Export Registration Requirements

The efforts of SCI, the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the National Rifle Association and others met with success on April 23, 2015 when Customs and Border Protection (CBP) reversed their decision to implement changes to the procedural requirements for hunters and recreational shooters wishing to travel abroad with their firearms. At a budget hearing held before the House Committee on Appropriations, R. Gil Kerlikowske, Commissioner of CBP, announced that the agency would temporarily return to the paper process used for years by international hunters and recreational shooters. In response to questions posed by members of the Committee, Mr. Kerlikowske explained that CBP would temporarily withdraw its requirement that hunters and shooters, who wish to take their firearms out of the country, register their firearms in the Automated Export System (AES). Mr. Kerlikowske informed the Appropriations Committee that CBP would be modifying its website later in the day to reflect this change in position. Please refer to this link for additional information about the hearing.

SCI will continue to pursue a long-term solution to this issue. Today’s decision provides only a temporary fix to a broader concern. The recently proposed (and just aborted) changes to the exportation of firearms comply with regulations, adopted in 2012, that require electronic registration. SCI is working with NSSF, NRA and others to propose revisions to these problematic rules.

Please continue to follow SCI communications for further developments on this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic news there. Now how do I get my new EIN number expunged?

Temporary Exportation of Firearms

Release Date:
April 23, 2015

WASHINGTON— U.S. Customs and Border Protection will continue to follow the long standing practice of issuing and certifying a Certificate of Registration (CBP Form 4457) to ensure that no traveler attempting to legally take their firearm out of the country experiences significant delays or incurs additional cost due to the implementation of a new regulation requiring an electronic filing. CBP's enforcement focus is on those engaged in illegal exportation of firearms for use by overseas organizations and individuals wishing to cause harm.

During this time, when a traveler contacts CBP to report export of a firearm, CBP will:

• Assist the traveler to complete a CBP Form 4457 to assist in an issue free return to the U.S.
  • Provide a fact sheet about the regulation and how to comply.
Additionally, CBP is working with our other government partners to modify the AES system and the reporting process to make a more user-friendly experience for individual travelers.

CBP recommends that travelers allow a few hours for the declaration of the firearms to CBP and advises travelers to become familiar with the import requirements of the foreign country(s) that they may be traveling through or visiting. The countries may have more restrictive laws and regulations regarding the use of firearms.

Current export regulations issued by the Department of State require the traveler to file electronic export information (EEI) for temporary export of personally owned firearms via the Automated Export System (AES) prior to departure from the United States. AES has a free web-based internet application known as AESDirect that permits the traveling public to electronically report the Electronic Export Information (EEI) for temporary export of their firearm(s).

http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/2015-04-23-000000/temporary-exportation-firearms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross