SCI ALERT!! New regulations for exporting your firearms!

woods1126

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, APHA
Hunted
Eastern Cape
Hello gentlemen, I just received word from a fellow booking agent there are new regulations for bringing your firearms out of the country. I have been on the phone with three different customs officials at three different international airports this afternoon. JFK, Orlando International and Rochester NY International. The last two had absolutely no knowledge of these new regs. The customs officer at JFK was fully aware and very helpful.

The new system is called Automated Export System (AES), You need this to obtain an Internal Transaction Number (ITN). This is all in addition to the normal 4457 form.

If anyone has any knowledge or experience with this, your input would be very appreciated.

Thank you Kevin Kayn

Thank you Jerome. In my haste, I neglected to search for this here on AH. Much thanks again. Kevin

Funny how being shocked :E Eek:and pissed off:E Furious: gets people going:A Blowup: and makes them post quickly.

I here ya Brick. I have two friends leaving on Friday to SA and I'm leaving two weeks from today, also for SA. Hopefully we will get this figured out and taken care of quickly. Thanks. Kevin

No kidding. The year of the late government announcement.

As you will see from the thread you need to be an exporter to obtain the number. SSI and coppersmith will be able to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Johnnyblues. That is a good bit of info. I will call my can't act at Coppersmiths pronto. Kevin

No problem Kevin, just a shame you will have to pay coppersmith for this service whereas SSI is doing it for free for there clients. Drop in the bucket I realize it but I also think a lot will change when SCI and the NRA get involved over time. If you look at all the threads some say we are exempt some say you need it??? I personally am waiting for Bob from SSI to contact me as I don't leave for Namibia until September, hopefully we will know a lot more over the next several months.

As far as I can tell from ALL the threads no one really is sure what we need???? Or how to get it....I personally am waiting for Bob from SSI to contact me to let me know. I just feel badly for guy's leaving now. I would be a nervous wreck at the airport going/return with all the uncertainty. I think though this will eventually get simplified. EVENTUALLY .....Gun owners and hunter's are really getting pummeled lately. It's getting to the point where it may be easier to just rent a gun while out of the country. I know if I ever hunt in NZ again I will rent a gun, the hassle from NY to LA with taking a bus to the terminal and rechecking is just too much bull. Does anyone feel the hands of Obama on their necks?

Woods thank you for posting. You didn't know this was being discussed at such length and thus your intent was in the best interest if all hunters. If you would be so kind, please let us know what you do to work through this issue.

We leave for Namibia in August ; we also will watch this thread for updates.......... thanks in advance for posting your results...

We leave for Namibia in August ; we also will watch this thread for updates.......... thanks in advance for posting your results...
If your a client of SSI they have it under control and all the paper work ready.

Hello Johnny and CAustin, I apologize for the late response. Here is what I have found out today. This is calming news for now, but not for the future.

1) After speaking with the supervisor of CBP at JFK International airport, they are using an "Informed Compliance" procedure. This means they will accept 4457 form and "inform" the traveling Hunter of the new regulations. Your information will go into a database, that will prove you have been informed of the new regulations, and if you are not in "Compliance" the next time you travel, you will have problems. So for my friends leaving tomorrow, and myself w/ friends on April 8 we are ok WITHOUT AES BS (bull#@%$).

2) I personally went on the IRS website to establish a 'Sole Proprietorship" to obtain an "Employee Identification Number". There is a cost of $149 for this!! It is my understanding this is needed to use the AES system.

3) I spoke with Michael Coppersmith, son of the owner of Coppersmith Import Service. He spoke very candidly about this situation. He stated this "AES" system will not be implemented until May 1, even though the government website states April 3. He also gave me the phone number of their Los Angeles office and told me three of their offices are handling this service. He also told me their website has a section that explains how to complete the AES system's questionnaire in layman's terms.

4) As stated in the other thread on this forum, SSI and Coppersmith offer this service. BUT, you still need the EIN to have this service provided for you if you choose to have SSI or Coppersmith do so. There is a charge (nominal) from Coppersmith, free if you are an SSI client.

Good luck She Hunter on your upcoming hunt!

Thank you again everyone here on AH. Again, a wealth of info, for the international hunter here. Kevin

Last edited:
woods 1126,

I'm not sure about the fee for the EIN? I did the same thing (i.e., sole proprietorship EIN) online via the IRS' website, and it was free and took 15 minutes or so. The AESDirect thing is a little more of a pain in the butt, and requires a few more hoops to jump thorough, but overall still easy to do, and free of charge to register. You have to take a "quiz" to prove you know how to use the AESDirect system which is ridiculous! The whole time I was taking it, and answering questions about shipping to Puerto Rico, and which mode of transport required various numbers, etc., I kept telling myself this has got to be the most bone-headed decision I have ever seen. For goodness sake, when you fill out the AESDirect info for your ammo, you have to choose from categories including guided missiles, torpedoes, rocket launchers, grenades, etc. I kept waiting for the option of choosing tactical nuclear weapons.....:rolleyes:. Like I said....ridiculous!

Thanks Sandman, I'm going on the IRS website again and see if I was in the correct area. Kevin

Hi Kevin, I went thru the process with Bob from SSI today, it was fast and simple . They took out all the leg work and had the form pre filled out , all I had to do was copy the info print and sign. Got my EIN number immediately filled out the forms SSI sent, made copies of my 4457 and flight itinerary . Could not have been easier. At no charge to me! I suggest anyone who has not made a decision on an importer use these folks. Not only have they taken the worry of this problem away from us the hunter they have taken charge of all my import needs by contacting my PH and are taking care of my cities paperwork. Tomorrow I will mail them everything to them. All they asked is to re check several weeks to departure that my flight info has not changed. They have been great.

Sandman and Johnnyblues. Pm's sent

Does anyone know if I need to register on AES Direct I have my EIN as of yesterday.

Johnny, did SSI obtain your EIN for you as well? Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you