SCI ACTION ALERT Contact your Congressman Elephant Import Ban

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by BRICKBURN, Apr 7, 2014.

1. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    ACTION ALERT

FWS Announces Ban on Sport-Hunted Elephant Imports From Zimbabwe and Tanzania

On Friday, April 4, 2014 the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service unilaterally announced a ban on all sport-hunted elephant imports from Zimbabwe and Tanzania from 2014 and going forward. The U.S. FWS decision was not made with consultation of the impacted countries, or with consideration of how conservation funding in Zimbabwe and Tanzania would be gutted. Help Safari Club reverse this ill-advised ban that guts the funding for anti-poaching efforts in Africa.

SCI link to help you contact your rep on this subject

Safari Club International

Body of the form letter for your use:

"Required text to House (Steve Daines):
    (this text will appear at the beginning of your message)
    As a hunter and international conservationist, I was shocked to learn that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service unilaterally decided on Friday, April 4, 2014 to ban the importation of sport-hunted elephants from Zimbabwe and Tanzania. The FWS's decision in and of itself shows a fundamental abandonment of the FWS mission of 都cientific excellence by relying on anecdotal evidence to make a rash decision with no basis in law, science, or conservation policy. I am respectfully requesting that as my elected official you demand that the FWS rescind its decision banning 2014 sport-hunted elephant imports from Zimbabwe and Tanzania.

In 2003, hunting accounted for approximately 60-90% of all revenues for Zimbabwe's Department of National Parks and Wildlife Management. SCI's members have purchased bull elephant tags to benefit the CAMPFIRE Foundation in Zimbabwe, which conducts anti-poaching work throughout the communal lands of their country. SCI's members have paid more than $100,000 to support elephant conservation through these tags from 2012-2014, whereas the FWS has spent only $56,000 to protect Zimbabwe's elephants from 2011-2013 through the Multinational Species Conservation Grants.

The role of international hunters has an incredible impact on the ability for Tanzania to manage its wildlife and conduct anti-poaching activities. For example, Tanzania has 157 hunting blocks that cover 30% of Tanzania's total land area, representing 70 million acres that are managed by private hunting operations. Furthermore, sport hunting employs approximately 3,700 people and supports over 88,000 families in Tanzania. A U.S. policy decision that disproportionally impacts Tanzania's population and its rural economies should not be taken without even consulting their affected governments.
    "

2. Royal27

Royal27 BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA Zim, SA (Next!)
    Thanks Brick.

I figured something like this existed, just hadn't looked yet. It doesn't take the place of calling in, but every little bit helps.

3. 35bore

35bore AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, France
    Thanks Wayne, done...

4. safari gal

safari gal SPONSOR AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Wild Sheep Foundation, Boone & Crockett Club, PHASA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia, Tanzania, New Zealand, Argentina and throughout North America
    Thanks Brickburn for posting the SCI link - I just got this from a client and did my part - please pass this on everyone!

5. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan South Africa
    Thanks for the link. I also have contacted my representatives. I may even get a personal answer as we have a lot less people in our districts. My senator is from my town. We'll see. Bruce

6. ThomasBeaham

ThomasBeaham BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
    Hunted:
    Republic South Africa (Limpopo)
    Done.

Thank you Brickburn for the heads up.

Folks, it took me literally just a few moments to complete. Please do participate in this effort.

Also, after you hit send to your Congressmen/women, the system will ask you to consider e-mailing
    six (6) of your friends and provides an automated form to do so. I encourage you to use this option to help spread the word.

7. WALKINGPREY2

WALKINGPREY2 AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Argentina, Virginia and North Carolina (USA)
    Thank you for posting, Wayne. Stealing to post on my social media sites.

8. RogerHeintzman

RogerHeintzman AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI (Sioux Falls, SD) RMEF, NWTF, NRA, NTA, BCSC, SDTA, NDTA, P&Y,
    Hunted:
    Canada (Ontario,British Columbia,Manitoba), USA (Colorado,Montana,Wyoming,Texas,South Dakota), Africa(Limpopo,NW Province, East Cape, Kwazulu Natal,) Namibia
    Done as well, and sent to many of my clients.

"A Dream can be relived, again and again in Africa."

9. tim416

tim416 AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, DSC
    Did it today. Forward the link via social media or any other means you can

10. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc