Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
SC School Principal Removes Mounts from Office After Complaints

An extensive collection of African animals that a school principal shot has been removed from his office.

Summerville High School Principal Buddy Chapel confirmed Monday that he had moved the hunting trophies -- a stuffed lioness, antelopes, wildebeests and other creatures -- that filled every wall.

The collection generated controversy after it was featured in a Jan. 19 story in The Post and Courier's Your Lowcountry section. And two people wrote letters to the editor urging Dorchester District 2 leaders to demand the animals be removed.

Pat Raynor, the district's spokes- woman, said district leaders were aware that some parents didn't like the display but didn't want to take sides in the debate.

"I'm sure they talked about it, but I'm not aware that there was any directive for him to remove them," she said.

Raynor said she had heard Chapel decided to move them because the controversy was becoming a distraction.

watermark.php

Photo by Dave Munday
An extensive collection of animals that were shot in Africa has been removed from Summerville High School Buddy Chapel's office.

Do you think Dorchester District 2 should have allowed Summerville Principal Buddy Chapel to display his hunting trophies?

Chapel said Monday afternoon that he was in the middle of meeting with parents all day but would try to find time to talk more about the animals later. He could not be reached in the evening.

In a previous interview, Chapel said he told students when he first came to the school last fall that if the animals offended them, he would meet with them elsewhere. He said students generally thought the collection was cool.

"They have a great time," he said. "It's like a big zoo for them. It hasn't freaked any kids out that I know about."

Several people said the animals were taken out of the office over the weekend.

Alison Harvey of Summerville, one of the people who wrote a letter protesting the animals in Chapel's office, said she was glad they were gone.

"When there are so many controversial issues that students and teachers aren't allowed to discuss in a public school setting, why would something as controversial as this be permitted?" she said.

Marian Martin, a Charleston County teacher, wrote the other letter against the display.

"What message is he sending those kids?" she said Monday. "I just thought it was outrageous that he had all of that in his office. It's just in your face. I just don't think it has a place in the public school setting."

Another woman who wrote a letter defending Chapel's display could not be reached. In her letter, she praised Chapel's performance since he arrived at the school last fall.

"My impression is that he is a no-nonsense, make-things-happen man who cares about our children -- exactly what he must be to run a school of almost 3,000 teenagers," Tracy Searson of Summerville wrote.

Chapel moved to Summerville from Allentown, Pa., where he was a math teacher, middle-school principal and the district administrator for Middle School Strategic Initiatives.

A former Marine drill sergeant, he quickly made the news for enforcing the school's dress code, including suspending students with baggy pants worn too low. Public reaction to his tough discipline was generally favorable.

Source: postandcourier.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Raynor said she had heard Chapel decided to move them because the controversy was becoming a distraction.

Alison Harvey of Summerville, one of the people who wrote a letter protesting the animals in Chapel's office, said she was glad they were gone.

"When there are so many controversial issues that students and teachers aren't allowed to discuss in a public school setting, why would something as controversial as this be permitted?" she said.

Marian Martin, a Charleston County teacher, wrote the other letter against the display.

"What message is he sending those kids?" she said Monday. "I just thought it was outrageous that he had all of that in his office. It's just in your face. I just don't think it has a place in the public school setting."

Source: postandcourier.com

No opinions or individuality allowed in that school. I hope he puts his trophies right back when this settles down and Martin and Harvey have found more interesting targets for their prejudice.

One or two persons who never saw the room were able to write letters that became the big spoon in the pot.

When it became a driving wedge, the mounts would have to go.

I am sure it was a talking tool when students were in the room.

I feel for him and can understand how this misguided pressures of the uneducated can make his job difficult by diverting the attention away from his his excellent achievements with the school discipline for one.
I also had some trophies in my office at a previous school ,and it was regarded as Educational by multicultural parents and students alike.[Fortunitely a different country and culture?]
It also served to me as an excellent opportunity to discuss and educate interested ipad slaves during recess etc, to the merits of ethical hunting vs the rubbish anti-hunting propaganda they were subjected to.
The hidden Educational life skills curricula of dialogue,respect for nature and also the school discipline as a whole benefit
a lot by this satisfying of their curiosity.[to name but a few]
The feed back years later of the character building, awakened sense of adventure and deep love for nature influence that those trophies instilled in most of their young minds, and how it changed their view and outlook for the outdoors for the better, is testemony that it did more good than only being 'that stuffed animals against the Principals wall'
Hope you put it back Buddy!

Geese.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he has a few too many in that little office. At home it would have been better, but at a school with so many people who don't understand hunters and the pride of hanging a trophy on the wall...maybe so many trophies in a small room is a bit overwhelming for some people.

I will say the principal, made a poor decision. Unless you own the school and have total say in everything you are just opening yourself to arguements. If it was a public school, it's public tax dollars and that means everyone has a poker in the fire. Anyone who works in the schools or public works field knows you are suppose to have a neutral point of view OR what is in the best interest of the school or municipality you work for at the end of the day.

I will say the principal, made a poor decision. Unless you own the school and have total say in everything you are just opening yourself to arguements. If it was a public school, it's public tax dollars and that means everyone has a poker in the fire. Anyone who works in the schools or public works field knows you are suppose to have a neutral point of view OR what is in the best interest of the school or municipality you work for at the end of the day.

I agree I think Photos of the Trophies on the wall would have been more appropriate for an ice breaking tool for the students rather then the trophies their self. btw I see he needs to go back and get a Bushbuck to finish his Spiral Horn Slam.;)

Bob, you are right he's missing a bushbuck, that alone is a crime!

I tends to disagree. It is his office and he has done nothing wrong. He basically is displaying nature & conservation. It's no different then the guy who has pictures of his family or a picture of Jesus or a symbol of the cross. a person does have the right to free speach. Hunting is how animals survive in nature. If there is no value on them they will be wiped out. Bottom line. These people need to get a life & look at some of their own skeletons that are hiding in their own closets!!

a picture of Jesus or a symbol of the cross. a person does have the right to free speach.

Check your local schools this has also been removed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross