Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA,Military Pistol Club
Hunted
Australia,Zimbabwe
Those who have a keen interest in Africa and some of the great hunting opportunities this great continent has to offer will be greatly sadened by the latest developments in the Save Valley Conservancy.

September 2, 2012 in Business
ZIMBABWE risks a ban from the US Fish and Wildlife Service, emanating from
the chaos in the Save Valley Conservancy, where owners were denied hunting
permits.

Report by Our Staff
The permits were issued to 25 individuals, the majority of them Zanu PF
sympathisers, in a move analysts said would put a dent on the countrys
image ahead of the co-hosting of the UN World Tourism Organisation General
Assembly next year.
Industry players told Standardbusiness on Friday the impasse may prompt the
US Fish and Wildlife Service to impose a ban on trophy exports to the US.
This paper was told on Friday, such a move would kill the US$30 million
safari business.
"The organisation is not likely to accept the importation of trophies into
the US if Zimbabwe is seen to have violated best practices. Importation into
the US will be terminated because it threatens the integrity of hunting, an
industry player said on Friday.
Trophy exports to the US constitute 80% of the industry's total exports.
The fresh setback to hit the industry comes months after Parks and Wildlife
Management Authority did not renew leases for operators at a time they had
already secured clients.
Vitalis Chadenga, the authority's director-general, was not answering his
phone on Friday.
Emmanuel Fundira, Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe president, said
the denial of permits to hunters destroyed the image of the industry and led
to negative perceptions.
Empowerment needs to be managed in a transparent manner with a high degree
of accountability so that it does not become self-serving. That way it can
deliver value for the business and community concerned, he said, adding
that expropriation would only deter investment.
Another operator bemoaned failure by authorities to give hunting licences to
the conservancy owners.
"Clients paid last year to hunt in the concession but the owners cannot
fulfil their obligations as a result. It puts a big dent on the country's
image," the operator said.
The operator said the new permit holders had neither the knowledge nor the
clients related to the industry and wondered how they were given permits in
the middle of the hunting season.
The hunting season runs from April to November each year.
Following the invasion of the Save Valley Conservancy by Zanu PF-aligned
officials, led by Chiredzi South MP, Ailess Baloyi, Tourism and Hospitality
Industry minister, Walter Mzembi, instructed the Zimbabwe Tourism Authority
(ZTA) board to recommend solutions to the impasse.
The board also recommended that permits issued to partners should be revoked
until the matter had been resolved.
The board noted that one of the policy implementation challenges was that
while the lease holder applied for hunting quotas to the Parks and Wildlife
Management Authority, the farmer also applied for the same hunting quotas
for the same area.
This has also brought confusion, leading to Parks and Wildlife Management
Authority to stop issuing hunting permits. This has resulted in illegal
hunting taking place, communities encroaching into conservancies, the
product being destroyed and there is now negative publicity on the
destination, said the ZTA board.
Zimbabwe presently has a wildlife-based land reform policy with the
objective of ensuring conservation and sustainable use of wildlife for
present and future generations and to maintain a proportion of land outside
protected areas under wildlife management.
Challenges associated with perceived country risk, absence of working
capital, insufficient domestic services and dilapidating infrastructure have
over the past decade curtailed any significant development of the tourism
industry.

Another low blow. Not looking good for the hunting industry. :(

Zimbabwe is the last affordable place in Africa to hunt dangerous game and it looks like Mugabe and his henchmen are going to screw it up. The sooner he and his friends are in hell the better off Zimbabwe will be.

If you can't import the animals into the US, hunting will be over. There are few that will hunt and take pictures. But a majority will stop hunting.

the loss of Zimbabwe is exactly...what will happen if the loss of wild life continues.

The taking of game meat to sell and the rhino horn insider dealing from reports has begun...

i do think that this will play havoc on remaining safaris this year and next year...

and like enysse says not many are willing to travel to just take pictures...

like others have indicated the looting has begun and it will continue...

Report by Our Staff...

Vitalis Chadenga, the authority's director-general, was not answering his
phone on Friday.

By: Isdore Guvamombe, 6 September 2012

National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority director general Vitalis Chadenga has died. Chadenga, a veteran conservationist, died at the Avenues Clinic in Harare yesterday afternoon where he had been battling for life since being admitted last weekend. He had collapsed in Bulawayo last Thursday while attending a Zimbabwe-Botswana Joint Permanent Commission meeting and was thereafter airlifted to the Avenues Clinic in Harare.
Parks board chairman Mr George Pangeti confirmed Chadenga's death yesterday.
"The director-general Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, Vitalis Chadenga, has died.

allAfrica.com: Zimbabwe: National Parks' Chadenga Dies

So what is the current status of this mess now? Where did this article originally appear? A friend and I hunted the SVC last year in July with Zambezi Hunters and our trophies have still not shipped. We were scheduled to hunt the Arda area but were switched at the last minute to the Impala Ranch.

There are ranch owners in the SVC that did receive their hunting permits last year and their hunters should not have problems. My advice is to check with the safari company to make sure their ranch/landowner received hunting permits and will receive them this year too. I know that the Sango did receive their permits last year and is operated by Zambezi Hunters.

can the Save still be hunted on a nonexportable basis?

Hi
I hunted SVC last September with Roger Whittall Safaris, on there Humani camp. I have just last week recieved my trophies :eek:. Everthing ok.
They are still hunting.

BR. Poul

Congtrats Sir! What month did you hunt? Still waiting for mine...:(

Hi
I hunted SVC last September with Roger Whittall Safaris, on there Humani camp. I have just last week recieved my trophies :eek:. Everthing ok.
They are still hunting.

BR. Poul

So what is the current status of this mess now? Where did this article originally appear? A friend and I hunted the SVC last year in July with Zambezi Hunters and our trophies have still not shipped. We were scheduled to hunt the Arda area but were switched at the last minute to the Impala Ranch.
I saw this when you posted it. I was wondering if anyone would post. There are some pretty wise people on here that know a lot more than me, especially about Zim. But is Impala Ranch related to Ken Drummond or Arnold Payne at all ?
I wanted to hear more about the hunt details... The devil is in the details.

Congtrats Sir! What month did you hunt? Still waiting for mine...:(

Hi Scott CWO
I hunted from the 9. of September till the 20. of September 2012. Buffalo and PG.
3 month later I was contactet by the lokal agent in Zim, that my trophies were ready for shipping, but he wanted to charge me an aditional 790.- Us for extra paper work. :mad:
After some negotiation i got of with 650.- us. Last week i pick them up at the airport and to day I'am going to deliver them to the Taxidermist.
If you are patient, I will post pictures of the trophies when they are ready in 6 month to hang on the wall.:clap:

I hope yours are will arrive shortly.

BR. Poul

No I did not hunt with Drummond and Impala Safaris. I hunted with Zambezi Hunters on a ranch called the Impala Ranch. It is in a different part of the SVC than Savuli.

After long delays in this SVC mess with hunting permits and some rather blunt emails I exchanged with Zambezi Hunters and Adventures Unlimited, supposedly my trophies were shipped today from Harare and are to arrive NY on the 31st. I have paid Fauna & Flora and they say they received an email this morning from the shipper that the shipment was to be sent today. I hope so but I won't fully believe it until F & F informs me that it actually arrived NY. I will never hunt Zim or SVC again until the government and safari companies get this mess figured out.

Headed to Mozambique in the Niassa Reserve on August 8-25. Can't wait...

After long delays in this SVC mess with hunting permits and some rather blunt emails I exchanged with Zambezi Hunters and Adventures Unlimited, supposedly my trophies were shipped today from Harare and are to arrive NY on the 31st. I have paid Fauna & Flora and they say they received an email this morning from the shipper that the shipment was to be sent today. I hope so but I won't fully believe it until F & F informs me that it actually arrived NY. I will never hunt Zim or SVC again until the government and safari companies get this mess figured out.

Headed to Mozambique in the Niassa Reserve on August 8-25. Can't wait...

Hello Scott
Nice to hear you finally get your trophies home.:clap:
Cross my fingers that everything is as it should be and that the Guys in Zim get a grip on there problems, so this fantastic hunting land it is not lost forever.
Would you be kind enough to tell us a bit about your upcoming trip to Moz, who to hunt with and what you are going for. I have plans to go to Niassa after Sable and Niassa Wilderbeast next year, but has yet to decide with whom.:confused:

Best regards
Poul

Poul,

Yes, I hope my shipment was actually shipped. Time will tell.

As for Moz, I picked up a cancellation safari with Jamie Wilson of Luambeze/Mazeze Safaris in Concession R3 bordering Tanzania. The main camp is located on the Ruvuma River which is the border between the two countries. I will also spend 5-7 days in a second camp. Both camps have flush toilets, showers, generators, and beds.

The hunt was cancelled by Bob Easton of Easton Arrows. Bob has hunted with Jamie four times and has taken four leopards with a bow! Bob also devoted a chapter in his book to Jamie and the area. I will be hunting leopard, sable, buffalo, and plainsgame. My wife will be hunting buffalo, sable, and plainsgame. The area is remote and Jamie says I will likely get my leopard in the daylight. Cat and elephant numbers are high and we hope to see lions in the daylight and we should see elephant daily.

We will fly to Pemba and then Jamie meets us there with his twin engine Piper Navajo for the 1 1/2 hour flight to camp. If driving, it would be 16 hours from Pemba to camp!

We are hoping to take a lot of plainsgame as well as I still need a bushbuck, reedbuck, niassa wildebeest, and eland. They have very large eland in the area. I already have a giant 31" waterbuck, zebra, impala, warthog, etc... from Zim. There are good numbers of the tiny antelopes but I am not much interested in them.

I will be sure to let you know how it turns out. By the way, if you care to join us, there is one safari still available from Bob's cancellation for buffalo, sable and plainsgame for only $9500 plus licenses/taxes, and trophy fees. That is only a $679 daily rate and you can bring your spouse for free! Jamie could probably get the firearm permits expidited and you can get a Visa on arrival. Let me know if you can go on short notice.

Thanks,

Scott

Hello Scott
Nice to hear you finally get your trophies home.:clap:
Cross my fingers that everything is as it should be and that the Guys in Zim get a grip on there problems, so this fantastic hunting land it is not lost forever.
Would you be kind enough to tell us a bit about your upcoming trip to Moz, who to hunt with and what you are going for. I have plans to go to Niassa after Sable and Niassa Wilderbeast next year, but has yet to decide with whom.:confused:

Best regards
Poul

Scott CWO

That sounds like a great trip to be on. Leopards and Lion in daylight... :p Unfortunately, I have not the opportunity to travel before 2014. But I'am very much look forward to your report from Moz. Thank

BR. Poul

Poul,

Just returning from Moz. Had a fun trip. Got a very large Niassa Wildebeest the first day! I was lucky because some hunters will not even see this species on their safaris. It is a species of opportunity. Also got a nice leopard in the daylight at 4:55pm later in the trip. Took a great Buffalo, an average Reedbuck, a large Lichtensien Hartebeest, and a Yellow Baboon. Unfortunately, I wounded and lost a 40"+ Sable due to a bullet deflection off a large tree branch. Saw a good number of Sable and then I screwed up on a big one. OUCH. Could have shot a few Boehms Zebra but chose not to at the time because we were hot after Sable.
Jamie is a very knowledgeable PH and his wife, Eveline, was fun to talk with at camp. Food was excellent and lodging good for remote camps.
Jamie is 100% on leopard with many taken in daylight. The leopards are good sized but not as big as Zim cattle-fed leopards but are easier to hunt due to remoteness of the area.
Jamie is 75% on lion and we saw LOTS of lion sign and I saw two in daylight but was not hunting lion.
It is a shame that US citizens cannot import elephant because they are plentiful and Jamie showed me tracks from several 70#+ bulls. He has Europeans booked and one guy comes every year trying for 100#+ because he has seen them but not killed one yet.

I have no complaints but the one critique I have is that Jamie needs to replace or upgrade some of his equipment and crusiers. He knows it and is working on that. The area is very remote - 250 air miles from Pemba, so a mechanic is not just next door! This critique does not apply to his two airplanes. The planes were very nice and he is an excellent pilot and even has a commercial US license including IR.
I can be reached at 970.222.2109 if you have specific questions.
Regards, Scott.

Poul,

Just returning from Moz. Had a fun trip. Got a very large Niassa Wildebeest the first day! I was lucky because some hunters will not even see this species on their safaris. It is a species of opportunity. Also got a nice leopard in the daylight at 4:55pm later in the trip. Took a great Buffalo, an average Reedbuck, a large Lichtensien Hartebeest, and a Yellow Baboon. Unfortunately, I wounded and lost a 40"+ Sable due to a bullet deflection off a large tree branch. Saw a good number of Sable and then I screwed up on a big one. OUCH. Could have shot a few Boehms Zebra but chose not to at the time because we were hot after Sable.
Jamie is a very knowledgeable PH and his wife, Eveline, was fun to talk with at camp. Food was excellent and lodging good for remote camps.
Jamie is 100% on leopard with many taken in daylight. The leopards are good sized but not as big as Zim cattle-fed leopards but are easier to hunt due to remoteness of the area.
Jamie is 75% on lion and we saw LOTS of lion sign and I saw two in daylight but was not hunting lion.
It is a shame that US citizens cannot import elephant because they are plentiful and Jamie showed me tracks from several 70#+ bulls. He has Europeans booked and one guy comes every year trying for 100#+ because he has seen them but not killed one yet.

I have no complaints but the one critique I have is that Jamie needs to replace or upgrade some of his equipment and crusiers. He knows it and is working on that. The area is very remote - 250 air miles from Pemba, so a mechanic is not just next door! This critique does not apply to his two airplanes. The planes were very nice and he is an excellent pilot and even has a commercial US license including IR.
I can be reached at 970.222.2109 if you have specific questions.
Regards, Scott.

Scott, this deserves its own thread and detailed report by what you have started to describe here.

Please do fill it in and provide some pictures.
Congrats on your hunt, by the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessica87G

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross