Satellite Phone in Africa

CK1

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI, Life Member Dallas Safari Club, Life Member NRA, RMEF
Hunted
USA, Canada, Namibia
Heading to Africa for the first time next month and it looks like I'll be on the continent 3-4 times over the next two years (Namibia, RSA and Tanzania). I have been using Skype when I'm overseas and it works great IF you have an internet connection. I know I can't count on that at all in Africa so I'm considering renting or buying a sat phone.

Looking for what others have done and why. I also get backcountry in the USA/Canada once or twice a year. Thanks for your input.

CK

Check out Global Rescue's traveller package, they offer an insurance package and a iridium phone as a single package. I guess it would depend on how much you intend to use the phone. If it is just for emergencies that would be my suggestion. If you are looking for a communication device for frequent calls to the states iridium is the way to go, you get texting and incoming calls for free.

Everyone is different but I go to Africa to get away from it all. It seems today that if the phone rings we HAVE to answer it.

Your PH should be equiped for emergency coms (if your paying enough) so that should not be your responsibility and should be stated in his services.

Go, relax and enjoy Africa.

I always carry one in the bush.Better to have one and not need it,than to need one and not have it..!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
18whlsrolin

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross