Satellite Phone in Africa

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by CK1, Apr 13, 2011.

1. CK1

CK1 AH Member

Member of:
    SCI, Life Member Dallas Safari Club, Life Member NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada, Namibia
    Heading to Africa for the first time next month and it looks like I'll be on the continent 3-4 times over the next two years (Namibia, RSA and Tanzania). I have been using Skype when I'm overseas and it works great IF you have an internet connection. I know I can't count on that at all in Africa so I'm considering renting or buying a sat phone.

Looking for what others have done and why. I also get backcountry in the USA/Canada once or twice a year. Thanks for your input.

CK
  2. Macs B

Macs B AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Check out Global Rescue's traveller package, they offer an insurance package and a iridium phone as a single package. I guess it would depend on how much you intend to use the phone. If it is just for emergencies that would be my suggestion. If you are looking for a communication device for frequent calls to the states iridium is the way to go, you get texting and incoming calls for free.
  3. Code4

Code4 AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA, NZ, UK.
    Everyone is different but I go to Africa to get away from it all. It seems today that if the phone rings we HAVE to answer it.

Your PH should be equiped for emergency coms (if your paying enough) so that should not be your responsibility and should be stated in his services.

Go, relax and enjoy Africa.
  4. DOC-404

DOC-404 AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Poachers.
    I always carry one in the bush.Better to have one and not need it,than to need one and not have it..!