Same outfitter or try something new?

Wahahaha ha me too that's funny! Jacques... (n)(n)
:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
@spike I'm in!

OK, I think the last few posts are very helpful in providing some insight and may actually go back, at least in part, to the point Jaco has made about the power of the internet affecting how people may shop for and book hunts.
There are probably too many different scenarios to imagine, but here's a few seemingly common ones to ponder. Particularly interested in the PH point of view.
Scenario 1: Client X has hunted South Africa for plains game and plans to go back. His buddy tells him about his hunt with another outfit, maybe in a province not yet visited, and it sounds like an absolute blast! Says to self, I want to do that hunt! Maybe it is because of the province being hunted, the size of the property, the species available, accommodations and atmosphere or maybe the PH just specializes in spear hunting warthog at night from their holes ;) At any rate, Client X just wants to go on that hunt with that outfitter or PH. Completely understandable.
Question 1: Is there anything for Client X to do beyond booking the hunt? Any courtesy that should be extended to a prior PH?
Question 2: As a PH, do you feel slighted when this happens?
Scenario 2: Client Y has hunted several southern Africa countries before for PG and DG with his long time trusted PH and friend. Let's say SA, Namibia and Zimbabwe. Client Y has finally amassed enough of a fortune to be able to hunt Bongo, Lord Derby Eland and/or Sitatunga. He's ready to get serious and book the hunt. Research has been done and Client Y has a list of what (Bongo), when (January or February), where (CAR, Congo or Cameroon), how (Rifle).
Question 1: How would you proceed as the client?
Question 2: How would the PH's like to see their long time client and friend proceed?
Scenario 3: Client Z has hunted Namibia twice for plains game with 2 different outfitters. First trip didn't go as planned and Client Z was not happy with the experience, so he booked his next trip with a different outfit and had a great trip, a great PH and plans to hunt with the PH again. Client Z wants his next safari to be for free range Cape Buffalo, Leopard, Sable and miscellaneous plains game. Possibly in a country other than Namibia. Client Z knows that there are probably a number of outfits in a few different countries that offer what he is looking for, but is not sure which one is the RIGHT one. He has many options of how he could proceed. Search the internet, go to SCI & DSC shows and talk to the PH's, call his last PH and ask for help and advice, contact a booking agent and request info on possible hunts, start asking his hunting buddies, etc.
Question 1: How would you as the prospective client proceed?
Question 2: How do the PH's hope their prior clients will proceed?

Not sure these are great scenarios but they seem like they would be fairly common. Curious to see how different the hopes and expectations of the PH's might be from how clients do their hunt shopping/booking and what loyalty is expected/extended.

IdaRam, I can't say anything about the first scenario because I'm not an outfitter or PH. Just a client.

Scenario 2:

Question 1: This starts to look a bit like me. After 5 hunts for PG and DG I decided I needed the nine spiral horned, and had the easy ones. So bongo it was. I called my PH/friend, who does not hunt in Cameroon, to ask his advice. He knew a Zim PH who hunted Cameroon in (our) winter, so we got in touch, and my friend became an agent and made the booking so he could make some money. And then I invited him along (in the are of interesting timing, the story of that bongo hunt is in this month's issue of Safari magazine!).

Question 2: I think my friend was happy with this arrangement.

Scenario 3:

Question 1: All of the above. I would do my homework, and then I would speak to my former PH and get his advice. I really do think that the African hunting community is fairly small, and good/bad reputations get around, but they get around more quickly and perhaps more accurately among those who are on the spot.

Question 2: Again, I'm not a PH, but I'd think mine would be happy with this arrangement.

IDARAM on a more serious note.... I have clients that has hunted with me all over Africa. I do arrange their hunts for them where ever they want to go. How I work the pricing is as follows. I have an agreement with outfitters I work with in other countries, this meaning that I only get a commission back from the outfitter I use to do the hunt through like an agent would get for booking a hunt for me. I am happy with that as I know at least my client/friend is well looked after and he is happy as he knows his money is in safe hands and that he will get what he is paying for.

Yes it is a risk for me to trust other outfitters, but that is why I do extensive research on areas and people before I do any business with them.

This way I make sure my friend does not get burned and hunt the correct areas for the correct animals, also I am there to help him with the hunt and make sure he does get his animals he is going to the certain country for. I would suggest if you really would like to hunt with your outfitter again tell him what you have in mind for your next safari and give him a chance to see if he can find you what you are looking for, if he is true to his word and cannot find anything you find appealing he would have made the choice for you, I admire a loyal client and will truly work my hands numb for any of my clients and even more so towards a loyal friend.

I try to make sure each and every client/friend that hunt's with me know that I will take as good care of them as I possibly can, if I can do that in South Africa I can and will definitely do that in other country or provinces as well!

I hope this answers some of your questions in a way!

jaco how many free drinks do you think we can get out of "young" jacques then? :D Beers::D Booze::D Booze::D Booze::D Cheers::A Me You::D Beer Bottle::D Beer Bottle: :E Big Grin:

I need to sell more and higher priced safaris before I can afford the higher class drinks my friends from the Mandalay drink..... ;-))))))

And then I invited him along (in the are of interesting timing, the story of that bongo hunt is in this month's issue of Safari magazine!).

Hank,

After being a member for apx 40 years, I let my membership lapse last year due to the fact that there was only 1-2 readable articles per month. I was sick of getting a hunting magazine on jewelry, cigars, wine, etc. Basically everything but hunting.

Sorry I am going to miss out on the story. I presume you can't do a hunting report here if you have done it for the magazine.

Hope you had a great hunt. A photo or two would be great.

All the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys for taking time to respond. Confirms what I had just assumed, I guess.
It seems like it would be the natural and expected thing to do, go to the source that has delivered in the past. Doesn't matter if it is plumbing or hunting. Someone treats me honestly and fairly I go out of my way to do business with them and send people their way. At least give them the very first opportunity at the business. Even if they don't have an option to offer they at least got a crack at it. I'm sure the good will won't be forgotten ;)

I went to Alaska after booking an unguided trip with Cabella's..First trip was great although caribou were scare, I got a nice one and my wife got a big black bear.It was our honeymoon ! The next two trips with the same agent were a total bust..One was south west Ak and the other was arctic and left with 5 gal of water for a week and told not to drink the local water....No game in either area and no offer to move..Outfitter did call and offer another hunt after I raised hell but the expense of licenses and getting there was prohibitive and little game anyway....My experience is, African outfitters treat you better than most in America..I will never book through that agent again..

Hank,

After being a member for apx 40 years, I let my membership lapse last year due to the fact that there was only 1-2 readable articles per month. I was sick of getting a hunting magazine on jewelry, cigars, wine, etc. Basically everything but hunting.

Sorry I am going to miss out on the story. I presume you can't do a hunting report here if you have done it for the magazine.

Hope you had a great hunt. A photo or two would be great.

All the best.
Wheels, I have to say I don't really recall what the deal with SCI is when you publish something in Safari. My guess is that they own the article, and I should likely respect that, at least until its old. I will post some pictures of the bongo hunt, on another thread.

Wheels, I have to say I don't really recall what the deal with SCI is when you publish something in Safari. My guess is that they own the article, and I should likely respect that, at least until its old. I will post some pictures of the bongo hunt, on another thread.

Hanks,

Sounds great. Looking forward to seeing it.

All the best.

This should really have been posted under Jokes and Humor. I am rolling with laughter. Seriously????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.