Same caliber rifles into South Africa

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by Colorado Bow Hunter, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Colorado Bow Hunter

Colorado Bow Hunter New Member

I was just told I cannot bring a 300 Weatherby and 300 WSM into South Africa. My 13 year old son shoots the WSM and I shoot the Weatherby. Does anyone know if this is true?

2. Colorado Bow Hunter

Colorado Bow Hunter New Member

In other words I cannot bring two guns of the same caliber into South Africa on the same safari.

3. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    That's correct Colorado Bow Hunter. There is a limit of two firearms per hunter that may be imported into South Africa for trophy hunting purposes and hunters cannot bring in more than one firearm per caliber. A person must be 21 years of age to import firearm(s) and ammunition into SA. It is possible for someone under the age of 21 to do a hunting safari in South Africa, however another hunter over the age limit must import a firearm for their use or they can rent/borrow one from the hunting outfitter. Should another person over the age of 21 be going along with you on this trip, he/she, as a "hunter", would be in a position of importing the 300 for your son, should he/she have the required paperwork.

4. Frederik

Frederik AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    BASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Sweden
    Colorado and Jerome,

If I read correctly one rifle is a 300 weatherby and the other a 300 wsm and as far as I read the law you cannot bring two of the exact same caliber in other words two 308's or 30-06's for example.

I dont see any hassles at the police station in Joburg with it.
    Just get the paperwork filled in properly the SAP 520 and copies of your passport, itinerary and 4457 form.

Shout for any further help.