Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
The WILD Foundation, Safari Club International Foundation Combat Rhino Poachers

April 21, 2011 – Safari Club International Foundation (SCIF) and The WILD Foundation (WILD) announced that they are working together to combat rhino poaching in South Africa through the Rhino Informant Incentive Fund (RIIF). The RIIF provides financial incentives to economically underdeveloped rural communities where rhino poachers reside. Local individuals will act as informants, to assist local law enforcement in apprehending poachers and confiscation of horns, weapons, or equipment.

"SCIF has successfully concentrated many of our financial resources into anti-poaching efforts in the last few years,” said SCIF President Joseph Hosmer. “We are excited to work with The WILD Foundation through our contribution to the Rhino Informant Incentive Fund. By working collaboratively against international poaching we will ensure sustainable-use conservation and hunting can continue."

“We already see results with the first prosecution, validating further investment. The support by SCIF is instrumental in this regard, and is being matched by local, privately donated funds within South Africa. Thank you to the hunting community for continuing your role in sustainable use conservation,” stated WILD President Vance Martin.

“SCIF is ready to continue our anti-poaching projects throughout Africa and we hope that members of the hunting fraternity will consider making a donation to SCIF, so that we can increase our investments there,” concluded Hosmer.

Recent poaching has again been attributed to a growing international demand for rhino horn in Far East Asia where it is used in traditional medicine. Professional criminal syndicates are using technology to their advantage, such as helicopters, with the aid of night vision and GPS tracking equipment. WILD’s founder and SCIF’s 2008 International Conservationist of the Year, Dr. Ian Player is leading the grassroots effort in South Africa to help combat the criminal syndicates.

To make a donation to SCIF please contact SCIF’s Development Department at (520) 620-1220 ext. 485 and make your tax deductible gift today.

Contact: Nelson Freeman, media@safriclub.org or Emily Loose, emily@wild.org

Safari Club International Foundation (SCIF) is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that funds and manages worldwide programs dedicated to wildlife conservation, outdoor education, and humanitarian services. Since 2000, SCIF has provided $47 million to these causes around the world. Visit www.safariclubfoundation.org for more information.

The WILD Foundation - As the hub of the global wilderness conservation movement, The WILD Foundation (a Boulder, Colo based 501(c)3 nonprofit organization) is the only international organization dedicated entirely to wilderness protection around the world. Our vision is to protect at least half of the planet’s land and water in an interconnected way to support all life on Earth - Nature Needs Half. www.wild.org.

Source: Safari Club International (SCI)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross