Sabatti SxS Doubles Rifles Heads up on an affordable offering

Thanks for a bit of the story of the rifle Ed! It shoots pretty good up here. I haven't blooded it yet though.

I bought one of the Sabatti deluxe models in .500 N.E., and liked it so much that I bought a second one in .470. I did no some custom work on mine: Stripped the finish, and put on a London oil finish for much improved appearance of black smokey streaks and grain pattern. Put on a much better recoil pad, one that pushes on/off upward, for quick easy access to stock throughhbolt. Put on a steel grip cap, and lengthened trigger guard to that grip cap. Gold plated triggers and all internal parts, except mainspring----note, these rifles have common V mainsprings, with only one coil spring, on the top lever return, unlike some other modern double rifles that use more coil springs in the actions. The Sabatti actions in these Deluxe models are of the very best modern alloy steel, and quite heavy where needed to be, for very strong actions that, I think, will hold up as well as any other modern make of double rifle. I have a large collection of double rifles, from Classic British to German, French, Belgiam, and think these Sabatti Deluxe are excellent modern rifles. I would buy another in a heart beat!

the only thing i did not like was gun came with a 15 1/2 lenth of pull. as i am a gunsmith i cut it back to 14 1/2 for me.

All of the cheaper double rifles come with long pull! This is because when you install your "RECOIL PAD" you can adjust to your length of pull. They assume it is easier to cut wood off then to add wood to get a longer pull.

it fits well, points great , shoots good. yes triggers are a little hard it keeps the gun from doubleing on you.

The hard trigger pulls is for liability reasons! The trigger pull on a double rifle should be about 3.5 pounds for the front trigger,right barrel (the one that is supposed to be pulled first) and about 4 pounds for the back, left barrel that is suposed to be pulled second. This order of fireing R/L barrels is because that is the way they were regulated. Some double shoot properly either way, but some (MANY) do not.

the only bad thing i can say about my new gun is it kicks like a mule. after twenty rds it was hurting and no fun. i plan on puting in a mercury recoil suppressor in butt stock.

Why on Earth would you need a recoil suppressor in the butt stock on a 45-70 double rifle? A good recoil pad will take care of no more recoil than is produced by a 45-70 double rifle. recoil suppressors adversy effect the ballance of the rifle, making them butt heavy.

then back to range. i am well pleased and can not wait to go to tenn. for some wild boar hunting. barrels marked ussg, rockledge, fl. sabatti, italy. will handle load to 31900 psi. marked 2200bar. jeff

Welcome to the wacky world of double rifles! Now add the DRSS to your sig line, you are now a certified member of DRSS (Double Rifle Shooter's Society)

I just bought one of the 45-70s [which I really wanted for close work on hogs] from the Cabela's store in PA. Shipping it to a VA gunsmith to address the sites, trigger and stock. It was all I could do, not to buy the 9.3/74.... Should have it in couple weeks and the pigs is thick in GA. Cant wait to put that thing in use. I know the price is cheap, compared to the Brits, but 3k is not "cheap" and I think its a pretty solid deal on a weapon, +, it leaves me enough cash to have that 375HH or 416 Rigby double built !!!!

I just left post at end of thread. Thanks to the guy that alerted us to this item. Been looking for exactly that [DR for close hogs]

ok, I am about ready to "pull the trigger" on a Sabatti .450/400. Does anyone have any last minute advice or warnings about this gun in this caliber?

ok, I am about ready to "pull the trigger" on a Sabatti .450/400. Does anyone have any last minute advice or warnings about this gun in this caliber?

One word of warning. Shooting double rifles can be highly addicitive and lead to marital problems. Avoid carrying your new double rifle in inappropriate places like the bed room or family photos. Never celebrate the day you bought your double rifle if your anniversary or wife's birthday routinely challenge your memory! Congratulations the only rifles I've ever regretted are the ones I didn't buy!

double rifle

very wise advice. Its on its way!!

DUGABOY1 wrote: "The hard trigger pulls is for liability reasons! The trigger pull on a double rifle should be about 3.5 pounds for the front trigger,right barrel (the one that is supposed to be pulled first) and about 4 pounds for the back, left barrel that is suposed to be pulled second."

Maybe it's just me, but that seems a little heavy on the front, and a pretty light on the rear? Is that verifiable common line of thought for double rifles, or IMO?

As update? The Sabatti is one of the best purchases I have made in my entire life! Thanks to those who recommended!

GATrooper

DUGABOY1 has got the trigger pull right, however the second could be set 3 3/4 lbs if a real good trigger man does the work...

but again i like to have my triggers polished.

You will find if you use a synthetic lube on the sears and hooks you make the trigger pull very consistent...

I am glad to hear some good things about these rifles, I am thinking of saving to get one in 450/400 but one question I have is which is better for hunting extractors or ejectors? The only double that I have experiance with is my SxS 12 ga which has extractors. Having never hunted with it and never been to africa, I would like some opinions on this. Thank You

PAoutlaw...

Extractors have fewer parts to go wrong they lift the cartridges from the chamber and you have to pick the empty casing out and with practice you have to learn to remove the expended cartridges...
OK however you need to practice to get your operation down...remove one or two empties and then stuff in one or two new ones...

Ejectors have more moving parts and lift and then eject the empties behind you and then you stuff in new rounds and your are ready to shoot...

I have shot both and like the ejectors...

I honestly don't know what to think about the Sabatti product. I kind of liked the feel and of course the price but I am in the gun library at Cabela's and the salesperson I was talking to about them did nothing but poor mouth them. Hard to figure.

On the surface it sounds pretty appealing. A legitimate sxs for under 6 large.

Sure the Merkle and K-guns are the next step up but at better than twice the money?

I guess my question is, for a l working class double, is a Merk or K-gun twice the value of a Sabatti?

And of course from there, the price difference just gets more and more pronounced.

So my question really is this, and it is one to ponder, if you strip the labels and name status away and just talk about a good, field grade, working double rifle in an African caliber like a 450/400 or 470 NE etc. what is there to fault with the Sabatti product?

Comments?

I honestly don't know what to think about the Sabatti product. I kind of liked the feel and of course the price but I am in the gun library at Cabela's and the salesperson I was talking to about them did nothing but poor mouth them. Hard to figure.

On the surface it sounds pretty appealing. A legitimate sxs for under 6 large.

Sure the Merkle and K-guns are the next step up but at better that twice the money?

I guess my question is, for a real working double is a Merk or K-gun twice the value of a Sabatti?

And of course from there, the price difference just gets more and more pronounced.

So my question is this, and it is one to ponder, if you strip the labels away and just talk about a good, field grade, working double rifle in an African caliber like a 450/400 or 470 NE etc. what is there to fault with the Sabatti product?

Comments?

Well the way they regulate the Sabatti is a lot different than a Merkel or K-Gun, It has been reported on AH, on a different tread that rifling is ground out of the end of the barrel in some guns. One gun shoots great, the next gun like crap. Until they change their act or management...I suggest everyone stay away.

Buy nice or buy twice.

Well like I said in a early post. I know the orginal guy that was going to bring in the rifles and market them to start. He looked over the production and said they needed a few up-grades to bring them to spec. One was better/ denser wood (too bring weight up a little--for the larger calibers) The next was heaver barrel profiles for the 470,500 as they were much too light( he also wanted them to use better sights as he found the ones were quite flimsy). Next was wedge regulation. Sabatti shoots each gun rough regulated and then "tunes" with grinding. If they shoot good before they leave it--if not they grind until regulation occurs. Thats why some are ground some are not. Lastly the would not change out the funky opening lever because they had made up like 500 for a russian gun order and they wanted to "use them up"--to me it looks like a dragon taking a crap. here is a pic:

7643d1311203185-sabatti-sxs-doubles-rifles-heads-up-affordable-offering-sabittirifle.jpeg

I guess the long of the short of it was these "changes" would have increase the cost (of the big calibers), of the gun about $2500 US at the time, bringing the whoesale of the Sabbitti big bore to around $ 5945. He was going to maket them for around $8500. Cabelas is getting them for around $2900. Selling them around $5,000. I guess what I'm saying is there is no free lunch. Do I think the action is sound? Yes, Sabbitti builds alot of guns for alot of different makers--they are the Ford of the gun world. Do I think they take shortcuts to meet a price point???? Yes they do! No doubt.

All in all there are alot of fine doubles out there, before I invested 5 large in a Sabbitti, and try to find a Merkel or Searcy that pop up from time to time in the 8K dollar range. You can shoot it for a few years or 15 years and most likely it will be worth the same or more than when you bought it. I cannot say that for Sabbitti.

It your money,

Ed

Attachments

• sabittirifle.jpeg
    sabittirifle.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 337
Last edited by a moderator:
sabitti loads 45/70 losds

I just got 45/70 sabitti my gun shots about same point aim 3/4" high 1/2" spread at 55 yards with 350 horandy flex ammo.
I need any hand loads ideas not sure if flex ammo be ok for moose in my area of AK..
joe.conover@unitedwater.com

Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!