SA East Cape: Kudu Min Legal caliber??

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Divernhunter, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Veteran

Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    Headed to SA East Cape in 2013 with my daughter. I plan to take a 338Win Mag and a 25-06 shooting Swift A-Frame bullets. She plans to take her 257Roberts using 120gr Swift A-Frame bullets. She wants a Kudu. I think I read somewhere that in SA the legal min caliber for Kudu is 30cal. Can someone tell me if this is true or not?----Thanks for any help.
  2. hunting

hunting AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    Sweden, USA, Brazil, Mexico.,
    Hi Divernhunter
    I am guiding 20 years in SA and i have not seen or read anything regarding the .30 as min caliber for kudu, my son also a guide just return with clients from my area in the eastern Cape and one client was shooting a 270 he got himself a very good kudu. I had seen a number of animals going down with a .260. As long as she can shoot it well she can hunt with it. At the end of the day it is all about bullet placement.
    Enjoy the hunt.
  3. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan
    Taken from the dept of environmental affairs NORMS AND STANDARDS FOR HUNTING METHODS IN SOUTH AFRICA.

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR HUNTING METHODS
    Minimum bullet weights for rifle hunting
    4. (1) The minimum bullet weights for rifie hunting for the respective categories of wild and alien
    animals are the following-
    ( a) 2.3 g. (35 gr.) bullet for hunting
    (i) furred game up to and including the size of a rock hyrax and all rodents; and
    (ii) feathered game;
    (b) 3.3 g. (50gr.) bullet for hunting-
    (i) furred game larger than the species contemplated in sub-paragraph (1)(a)(i), up to and
    including the size of springbok; and
    (ii) mountain reedbuck;
    (c) 6.6 g. (100gr.) bullet for hunting furred game larger than the species contemplated in subparagraphs
    (1)(b}(i) and (1)(b)(ii), up to and Including the size of impala, warthog, blesbuck,
    common reedbuck and nyala ewes;
    (d) 8.4 g. (130gr.) buUet for hunUng furred game larger than the species contemplated in subparagraph
    (1)(c), up to and including the size of black wildebeest. tsessebe, nyala bulls and
    hartebeest;
    (e) 9.9 g. (150gr.) bullet for hunting furred game larger_ than the species contemplated in subparagraph
    (1 )(d), up to and including the size of blue wildebeest, kudu, gemsbuck, sable, roan and
    leopard;
    {D 11 g. (175gr.) bullet for hunting furred game larger than the species contemplated in sub-paragraph
    (1)(e), up to and Including eland, but excluding lion and buffalo;
    (g) 16.2 g. (250gr.) bullet for hunting furred game larger than the species contemplated in subparagraph
    (1)(n. up to and including lion, buffalo and giraffe; and
    (h) 19.5 g. (30Dgr.) bullet for hunting furred game larger than the species contemplated in subparagraph
    {1)(g), including thick-skinned animals, but excluding buffalo.
    (2) When hunting thick-skinned animals the bullet must be of full metal jacket or monolithic
    solid construction.
  4. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    Divernhunter I know of no law in South Africa that says you must use .30 or larger for Kudu, while I was there this year every PH I talked to recommended the 270 for everything up to Eland. What I would suggest is that you contact the outfitter that the two of you will be hunting with and see if they have a min. requirement if not then I say let her go for it. just a note the difference between the 25-06 and the 257 Roberts isn't enough to get concerned about you may want to think about leaving the 25-06 at home and take her 257 Roberts and make her day. Bob
  5. Hotfire Hunting Safaris

Hotfire Hunting Safaris AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    PHASA WRSA
    Basically it used to be 6.5mm min caliber, they are now going with bullet weight instead of diameter, see dimondhitches reply.
    Personally I prefer 7mm and up for kudu, but that is just personal preference.