Ruger Scout

EDD

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SAGA
I'm looking for a all rounder rifle for my wife & two sons to use for hunting plains game & stumble upon this little beauty...
Wonder if anyone owns one of these and if you could advise me if this would be the right choice for my family to use seeing that is a nice compact weapon in .308 caliber.
Also could you advice me in the scope choices as well.... Much appreciated!

ruger 308.jpg
ruger 308 scout.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a left handed one. It shoots great, does not have any recoil to speak of, and functions perfectly. I had an older Lyman 4x scope that I put on it.
From a supported sitting position, at 200 yards I can easily hit a 12" steel gong, 10 out of 10 shots in about thirty seconds. Mine came with one 10 round mag, but you can get extra 10 or 5 round mags from Ruger.

Thank you for the feedback Ikeda!!! After watching some video's on the net yesterday I also came to the conclusion that this rifle is very manageable in the recoil department & would be a great gun to get for my family!
Here is a quick review video on the rifle....

Thanks again...!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking for a all rounder rifle for my wife & two sons to use for hunting plains game & stumble upon this little beauty...
Wonder if anyone owns one of these and if you could advise me if this would be the right choice for my family to use seeing that is a nice compact weapon in .308 caliber.
Also could you advice me in the scope choices as well.... Much appreciated!
EDD
My 15 year old son used a Howa 308 loaded it with 150gn accubonds and had no problems at all including Burchells zebra and Oryx
20200223_195821.jpg

L to R Jacobus Wasserfall PH,France our tracker, my son and Andreus our driver and tracker
Cheers mate Bob
Go use your 08, put a goog 3-9X40 scope on it and have fun.
Bob Nelson

One cannot legally hit with them here in Canada using the factory magazines. No sporting rifle used for the purpose of hunting game shall have a capacity of more the five rounds in the magazine. Lee endfield surplus rifles received a variance and were a legal exception.

I have one and like it but it's not for everyone. Mostly because of the short barrel.

First I would suggest the plastic stock. It saved 9oz on mine. It feels really good in the hands to.

Second I took off the scout rail and put a traditional scope on it. This saved 4 oz if I recall. Eventually I intend to switch to QD scope mounts and a QD peep site so I have both.

The short barrel is cute but louder. If you are hunting plains game it's kind of pointless to go so short. I like mine because I put a suppressor on it for kids and it's all the length and weight they can handle. If I didn't have a suppressor I'd have kids hunting with a slightly longer barrel.

Short barrel = loud report.

One cannot legally hit with them here in Canada using the factory magazines. No sporting rifle used for the purpose of hunting game shall have a capacity of more the five rounds in the magazine. Lee endfield surplus rifles received a variance and were a legal exception.
You can get 3 and 5 round magazines for them. That's what I use, Ruger and AICS make them.

As far as loud a linear compinsator is what I put on to cut the blast I thought it had, but poor design on the brake was the issue. The factory brake was horrible. No muzzle device is just fine to me. I keep the comp on to protect the muzzle. As well I have a 21.5" barrel 338 RUM and 500 MDM 20" barrel, no blast issues. I love my scout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you