Ruger #1 in big bore calibers

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
ive heard from numerous sources that Ruger #1's are a hand full in larger calibers. seems people think its far more difficult to shoot then normal bolt and double rifles.

why is the Ruger #1 in large calibers such a hand full? do Ruger #1 have poorly designed stocks?

thank you
-Matt

ive heard from numerous sources that Ruger #1's are a hand full in larger calibers. seems people think its far more difficult to shoot then normal bolt and double rifles.

why is the Ruger #1 in large calibers such a hand full? do Ruger #1 have poorly designed stocks?

thank you
-Matt

Too light of weight in .458 and .416 Rigby, also Ruger factory recoil pad is actually a semi-hard rubber butt plate.

On the other hand, I had one in .375 H&H for years in Alaska and shot it plenty as issued, with no more than a tender shoulder if I fired a dozen or so rounds in an afternoon of practice.

Once I got it through my thick scull that 2400 fps with 300 gr RNSP delivered power to spare, my shoulder thanked me, at least a little bit.

My 2 cents worth is that a .500 Nitro or .500 Jeffery or .505 gibbs should weigh about 11.5 to 12 lb, a .416 and a .458 should weigh about 11 lb, and a .375 or .338 Winchester should weigh about 9.5 to 10 lb.

Cheers.

at around 9 pounds my CZ 550 in 375 is a joy to shoot. i have put 50 rounds down th barrel in a single sitting. although i do try to limit my shooting to 30 rounds in a sitting cause anything over that tended to leave my shoulder a little stiff the next day.

-matt

I had a No. 1 in 450-400 and even with factory loads it kicked hell out of me. The only rifle I have owned that quickly gave me a recoil headache. I got a CZ .404 Jeffery which is essentially the same cartridge and power level and its a pussycat by comparison. Bigger, heavier rifle with a much better recoil pad. That particular Ruger is long gone.

Part of it is the recoil pad and weight. I agree with you I can shoot the 375 H&H for 20-30 rounds no problem. But move up to .416 Rigby, I'm 10 and done. Same with .458 Win. I like all the big guns to be heavy.

There is just something about the #1's configuration that seems to increase perceived recoil, even in smaller calibers. It's like my friend says, love carrying the gun...kinda hate shooting it. I might be too attached to my M77's too.

My No 1 in 458 had a decelerator pad on it, as did one of the 45-70 No 1 rifles that I owned.

The 45-70 was all of 7.25 pounds and when you touched off a 400 grain Woodeigh at nearly 2,100 fps, you really felt it! 5 of those off the bench and I was done!

I have owned 2 .375 No 1 rifles and both wore the factory pad. My current .375 weighs right at 9.5 lbs with the Nikon African scope (according to my fish scale) and the best thing about the recoil is that it makes the .300 H&H No 1 feel tolerable!

i wonder if you could have a better stock built for reasonable price? i like the idea of the Ruger #1 as a strong affordable single shot big bore.

enysse, im not sure what my recoil limit is for 416 calibers yet. i tried a custom mauser in 416 Rigby and my own personal double in 500/416 NE and the recoil seemed manageable. the most ive put out of my 500/416 NE in a single sitting is 20 cartridges (400gr TSX at around 2325 fps) and I suffered no ill effects. my 500/416 NE double does weigh in at a hefty 11 pounds though.

-matt

i wonder if you could have a better stock built for reasonable price? i like the idea of the Ruger #1 as a strong affordable single shot big bore.

enysse, im not sure what my recoil limit is for 416 calibers yet. i tried a custom mauser in 416 Rigby and my own personal double in 500/416 NE and the recoil seemed manageable. the most ive put out of my 500/416 NE in a single sitting is 20 cartridges (400gr TSX at around 2325 fps) and I suffered no ill effects. my 500/416 NE double does weigh in at a hefty 11 pounds though.

-matt

In a word - "No" - you will not be able to have a custom designed stock built if the object is to get a heavy rifle at an affordable price. One of the best and largely overlooked deals out there is to find one of the old Ruger "Magnum" rifles built on the 77 action. They are of appropriate weight with a quarter rib and milled scope bases. They are even a handsome rifle. They were built in .375 .416 Rigby and 458 Lott. A quick look at Guns International shows several for sale for less than 2K. http://search.gunsinternational.com/search_results.cfm

thanks Red Leg.

Ive seen a couple of those for sale for around $1000. I wonder how they compare to the CZ 550?

-matt

Hello Fellows, Sorry to say but compare to the high prices on DG hunting this days I would not go for Ruger 1, its the same price as a quarter trophy fee of a buffalo. I love the idea to cowling up to a big buffalo and within 20-40 meter smack him with a 570 gr bullet from a quality made Falling block single action rifle as the old Gibbs-Farquharson, or even better with a new production from Hagn a Soroka in a 500 NE or 505 Gibbs. With open sights put that only "one shot" in the perfect place is somehow very challenge and would be the way to do it with class and reward the hunter afterward with pure harmony. Regarding the weight I would prefer a light rifle around 8 lbs to be able to carry it 10 hours per day, its one shot that will be actual and withing 20-30 meter with full concentration...I can promises that no one will ever feel the recoil that come in that situation !

Best to all of you, Gordon

soroka.jpg

Last edited:
Fabulous rifle and I am sure you are proud of it, but not exactly what Matt would be looking for in the way of an affordable .416 class rifle. I see you are a PH, but I would be interested in how many rounds you have actually fired from a true 8lb 500 or 505. Whether 60 feet from a buff or 60 yards from a target, I can assure you, you will have no doubt that an eight pound .500 NE just went off in your hands. Interesting that your photo seems to be of a rifle in the .300 class.

I have several No.1s in various calibers (my .338 is a sweetheart to shoot and the .270 is a tack driver) and love them but they do have their peculiarities (heavy recoil and sometimes adjusting that pesky forearm). I also have No.1s in a 450/400, .458 Win and .416 Rigby and I admit, you do have to be a bit of a masochist to shoot them boys. For me, it's not about the recoil (Okay, I admit, I do use a PAST pad when shooting them), it's the one shot challenge and the cool factor of shooting a single shot in a big bore caliber. It does get attention at the range when you torch one of those 450s off...

Scott

No..no.. its not my personal rifle, I don't think I say that.. or.. ? its only a most beautiful creation from Soroka and what can be made in a falling block, and it will kick in a 500 NE but what I try to say is that when you are in the heat you never feel the kick, my old FN/Browning .458 Mag. weighs only 8 pounds and I don't drop it when I shoot it.

I was use a .460 Weatherby weighs around 9,2 pounds when we doing elephant culling some years ago, it deliver 93 ft. lbs and then if you compare to a 500 N.E. resulting in 75 ft. lbs depend of the load and bullet weights off course, but with a good build straight stock and a quality Pachmayr recoil pad it will be possible to shoot it with out problem, I don't say its for everyone to shoot it, and sometimes I also get a little bit "reserved" is probably the right word, but then I only totally ignore this and slowly squeeze until the bang surprise me, but this happens only when target shooting.

The other thing when we speaking affordable, yes this things do not comes for free but for $ 18.000 usd its a realistic price when compare what a African DG hunting cost today, but this is only my 2 cents... its a way of doing things right and with class.. (y) like in the good old days !

Cheers, Gordon

I do agree with Red Leg, the old Ruger RSM's are a very fine rifle. I actually prefer them over the CZ. Not saying one is bad and the other is good, it's just that I think the Ruger fits me better.

I almost bought one in 458 but was you late to get the deal at my area Cabela's over a year ago. I will tell you that my #1 in 300 Win Mag packs a punch. I removed the original butt pad and replaced it with a Limb Saver and it's great now ( see below). I bought the Ruger 416 Guide Gun and it comes with a much better shock absorbing pad so there was no need to change it out. I do love the falling block design of a #1 and it is my favorite rifle . I would agree that it is not a heavy rifle until you carry it around all day. As suggested here some have told me the guide gun kicks so hard because of its weight. In the end a good Limb Saver will make all the difference in the world. Put one of those on my Marlin 45-70 as well to make it into a very manageable gun.
image.jpg

Hello Fellows, Sorry to say but compare to the high prices on DG hunting this days I would not go for Ruger 1, its the same price as a quarter trophy fee of a buffalo.
View attachment 29613

I must be reading/understanding this statement incorrectly.

Where is the Buff trophy fee only $4,800? Or where do No 1 cost $3,000?

Straighten me out here!

Cape buffalo trophies fees are like that in Zim and Tanzania ($2500) but the daily fees will kill you at $1000-$3500 a day...lol

You can shoot 3 Cape buffalo on a 21 day license in Tanzania, I believe

Guys, STOP IT!!!

I didn't even want a Ruger No 1 before joining AH.com, but now.... :)

Or I guess I should say I didn't KNOW I wanted one!

Royal27, just go ahead and buy a few :). Why stop at just one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkdagasv388

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg