Rifles and Kruger National Park

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by PHOENIX PHIL, Sep 1, 2009.

1. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    So the wife and I will be taking a tour of Kruger National Park before we start the safari. My concern would be what to do with my rifles. From what I see most if not all of the tours will have you stay in accommodations inside the park. Presuming that rifles are a big no-no inside the park, what should I do with my rifles?
  2. richteb

richteb AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SSAA,Military Pistol Club
    Hunted:
    Australia,Zimbabwe
    I am planning a similar thing, 2 weeks touring prior to hunting. I have asked our safari operator to look after rifles while we are touring. I plan is to catch up with the PH a day or so after arrivaln in country and hand over guns for safe keeping.
  3. 375lvr

375lvr AH Member

Member of:
    SCI, NWTF, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US, Canada, RSA
    If you contact Air2000, I believe they have a vault to legaly store your firearms while you are there. Not sure of the details, but I am sure there will be plenty of qualified advice coming your way. This forum is very good for that type of question.
  4. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    It seems that you can enter the park with your firearm(s), though your weapon has to be declared and sealed at the entrance gate and a permit will be issued for the duration of your stay. Your weapon needs to be declared upon departure of the park so that the seal can be inspected and has not be broken at which time they will remove it.

Failure to declare a weapon (R750), failure to ensure that the weapon is unloaded before sealing (R200) and failure to have weapon inspected before leaving the KNP (R300).
  5. Bushwack

Bushwack AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
    Dead on Jerome,

I visit the KNP often and it is exactly as you say, most camps also have a safe to store your weapon; so you don't have to leave the weapon in the chalet or travel with it all the time
  6. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Bushwack, Thanks, that's good to know.