Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF DU SCI NRA
Hunted
CAR CANADA MEXICO USA RSA
I need help making a decision between a bolt action 450 Rigby, or a Sercey Double in 500 Nitro Express. Have shot both and am in a qwandry. This will be used for ele buff and hippo.

If I could even think about being able to afford a Searcy double, that'd be my choice. But that's an opinion coming from one who has never hunted ele or hippo. Just from what I see on t.v. however, a scoped bolt action may be preferred for the sometimes longer ranges that hippo are shot at. I wouldn't trust my eyes through iron sights on what needs to be a fairly precise shot for that hippo.

Bart.

Will hunting the Hippo be on dry land or in the river? The reason i ask you are talking two different kinds of hunting...

River hunting a 375 H & H scoped to shoot at a defined distance would be the way to go.
Dry Land hunting will be close at hand and either the 450 NE or 500 NE double will be very good.

Elephant hunting is usually close 10 to 20 YDS and a quality scoped rifle in 450 NE will allow the pinpoint accuracy you are looking for or if you have good accuracy with your double rife in 500 NE open sights the elephant is right down the tube. so either rifle will fill the bill.

Cape Buffalo can be a mixed bag and a scope rifle will allow greater reliable shooting distance for taking the shot. while hunting your PH will try to get you as close to 25 to 40 yards for a shot, however sometimes the only shot will be at or near a 100 yards. A double rifle for the first case will be right on and for the second case you will be a looker.

Each case is different and only you can make the decision on bolt and scoped or double rifle and open sights.

If this is a one time elephant safari i would suggest the scoped rifle. Now if this were to be the start of many elephant hunting safari then the nod would be toward the double rifle.

A scoped bolt action .450 Rigby is a more versatile gun.

And it will do anything a .500 NE double can do.

BART, I own a .450 Rigby, so I might soound bias, but given the above choice, as a general purpose gun, the .450 kicks serious ass. I have shot numerous shots at wounded game on the wrong side of 200 yards, and hit them with regularity, to reccommend it whole-heartedly. I do a lot of elephant safaris every year, so have been looking at various .500 doubles also, but I can tell you also that I would probably prefer a .375 CZ above a Searcy if my client/ staff and own life has to depend on it... If you decide on a double, make it a Heym, Verney Carron, Krieghoff or Merkel IMHO. (There may be more OK doubles, but a Searcy aint one of them...)
Sorry Butch, just my experience on the few that came through my camp. There is of course 1000's of people happy with them...

Karl would you expound on the issues you have had with searcy double rifles

but I can tell you also that I would probably prefer a .375 CZ above a Searcy if my client/ staff and own life has to depend on it... (There may be more OK doubles, but a Searcy aint one of them...)
Sorry Butch, just my experience on the few that came through my camp. There is of course 1000's of people happy with them...

What else are you taking, Bart? If you are taking anything from a .375 on up as well, then get yourself a double. If this is a 'one rifle safari' then take the .450, with a quality 1-4 scope, because you may just find yourself a bit limited with the double. Other than that, the guys have pretty much nailed this one down for you. Good luck with your choice, and good hunting.

So what im getting is a bolt gun in 450 rigby should be the prefered choice. Who chambers this round besides CZ?

So what im getting is a bolt gun in 450 rigby should be the prefered choice. Who chambers this round besides CZ?

American Hunting Rifles makes customs based on CZ action. They actually have one of these in .450 Rigby on sale right now, go here:

American Hunting Rifles, Plains Game Hunting Rifles

I've not done business with Wayne, but have talked to him a few times. I don't think I've ever read anything but very positive about AHR and their work.

Wow, Phil that did look like one sweet gun!

Dakota make a 450 Ruger

go with the 450 bolt and use the money saved for a leopard and a sable.

The 450 rigby is a cannon-- get a proper one built contact someone like Wayne at AHR he will buil one for around 6K. Lon Paul will also build a proper rifle but Lon is a bit more in price I think around 8K the last time I checked.

Lon Paul Custom Gunmaker

American Hunting Rifles

Nothing wrong with the double, but if I were to get a double it would not be a 500 it would be a 450 3 1/4 or a 450/400 3". The 500 is alot of hammer for a double rifle--to shoot well.

Dont over look a 500 A-square, it is a awesome hammer 600 and 700 grain bullets at 1950 to 2150 fps...ohhhhh yehhhhh!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross