Rifle Barrell?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Johnny reb, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw GOLD SUPPORTER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Member

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Arizona, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Texas, Louisiana, Florida
    There are quite a few makers of cut-rifled barrels other than Krieger in the USA -- Bartlein, Brux, Rock Creek, Hawk Hill, ...

Benchrest records are held by a mix of cut-rifled and button-rifled barrels. I've good and not-as-good barrels of both sorts.
  2. Stocky

Stocky AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Benefactor NRA, SCI, SCI South Florida, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, South Africa
    I have a preference for the current crop of 5r cut rifled barrels. These use 5 grooves instead of 4 or 6, which avoid pinching the bullet between opposing lands. An odd number of grooves decreases bullet deformation, reduces pressure spikes and theoretically at least allows higher velocities. The last two rifles I've had built with them, a .280 AI and a .375 HH have borne this theory out with superb accuracy and velocity gains of up to 100 fps with factory loads, though this is far from statistically conclusive I've talked with many customers that have had the same result. With the .280 I've shot several 1/2" groups at 200 yards using 160 Accubonds at 2900+ fps, including one off the roof of my PH's truck.

I believe Boots Obermeyer pioneered their use on the military M40 / M24 sniper rifles back in the 70's. He also trained several of the other popular barrel makers including Mike Rock at Rock Creek Barrels.

These days it's more a matter of who has what in stock with barrel manufacturers sometimes running a year behind, so this more often than not dictates the supplier used.