Rifle Barrell?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Johnny reb, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw GOLD SUPPORTER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Arizona, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Texas, Louisiana, Florida
    There are quite a few makers of cut-rifled barrels other than Krieger in the USA -- Bartlein, Brux, Rock Creek, Hawk Hill, ...

Benchrest records are held by a mix of cut-rifled and button-rifled barrels. I've good and not-as-good barrels of both sorts.

2. Stocky

Stocky AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Benefactor NRA, SCI, SCI South Florida, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, South Africa
    I have a preference for the current crop of 5r cut rifled barrels. These use 5 grooves instead of 4 or 6, which avoid pinching the bullet between opposing lands. An odd number of grooves decreases bullet deformation, reduces pressure spikes and theoretically at least allows higher velocities. The last two rifles I've had built with them, a .280 AI and a .375 HH have borne this theory out with superb accuracy and velocity gains of up to 100 fps with factory loads, though this is far from statistically conclusive I've talked with many customers that have had the same result. With the .280 I've shot several 1/2" groups at 200 yards using 160 Accubonds at 2900+ fps, including one off the roof of my PH's truck.

I believe Boots Obermeyer pioneered their use on the military M40 / M24 sniper rifles back in the 70's. He also trained several of the other popular barrel makers including Mike Rock at Rock Creek Barrels.

These days it's more a matter of who has what in stock with barrel manufacturers sometimes running a year behind, so this more often than not dictates the supplier used.

Velo Dog likes this.
  3. Russ Tippett

Russ Tippett New Member

Danny Pedersen at Classic Barrels in Prescott. I have a .411, .458, and .510 that he made in addition to 2 308's a .257 and a .358. All shoot under .5 MOA except the .510. It isn't finished yet. I expect it to be as good as the rest if it doesn't beat me into submission.

4. sestoppelman

sestoppelman SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa (2)

Remington made their own barrels for the original M40 at least. There had been rumors that Hart made their barrels because of the little heart shaped stamp on the barrels, but they are Remmie. Later models cant say for sure.

5. sestoppelman

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    I did a little research and find according to Peter Senich who has written several books on the subject of sniping and the rifles used - both the original M40 and the later A1 used a barrel of 6 grooves. The M40 had a quicker 10 inch twist and the A1 the 12 inch twist. The A1 barrels were made by the Atkinson Barrel Co., when it went into production.

6. Russ Tippett

Russ Tippett New Member

FYI: Much of the machinery and tooling that was Atkinson's is still in Prescott either with Classic barrel or at Wells Sports Store.

7. sestoppelman

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    No doubt.

8. Red Leg

Red Leg GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI NRA DSC life memberships
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique
    +1 have 300 H&H and .404 Jeffery with Kriegers - Wonderfully accurate with almost any load.

9. sestoppelman

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Lilja is a name to be reckoned with these days. Seen lots of match rifles with them including State champs.

10. JTEX

JTEX AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NRA, TSRA
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Argentina, SouthAfrica, Zimbabwe
    Among the top barrel makers you can pretty much just close your eyes and pick one. Thay all make great barrels and every once in a great while they all will make a bad one. McGowan and Pacnor are really well known for big bore barrles..............

Some of the "match winners" mentioned above make very good barrels in .243 and .308 but don't make nearly as many many above .308 or .338. My first .338 edge was built around a Krieger and I never could get that rifle to shoot right. My PPC wears a Krieger and I really have to work to get a bad group out of it.......