Rifle advice for the new guy

Xshock2

Reaction score
I am planning a south African hunt. Will be the first time hunting there. The animals I will be aiming for are the Kudu, Ealand, and wildebeest. Depending on cost might try to throw a warthog or impala in there.

I have a 7mm Remington magnum I have used for years. This rifle has dropped everything from whitetail deer to moose and bison. Still I wonder if these African plains animals are more than my rifle is up for? I am comfortable shooting in the field to a range of 300 yards. Though honestly most of the shots I have taken have been inside 100 yards. ( Would say 85 percent of my shots). Is this the norm in South Africa or am I going to see those longer shots?

Thanks in advance for any insight and experience.

In my experience, the rifle is less important than the accuracy. 15 African game animals with Browning A bolt in 7mm Rem mag. 175 grain Swift A frame bullets produced one shot kills on everything but a Waterbuck which required two. Steenbok to 2 Kudu, Zebra, and wildebeest were all one shots and DRT. My shots ranged from 25 yards out to 400 yards on a blesbok. Study anatomy (Robertson's books) and be able to shoot your rifle well. If you want to take shots under 100 yds, your PH can make that happen! Enjoy your preparation.
The kudu in my avatar was taken at 155 yds with the 7mm Rem Mag.

Shots can vary in length depending on what area of the country you are in just like in the states. You can be in very thick bush country or desert, or a mix of all. 7 mag will do very well with good bullets and shot placement.

Hello Xshock2,

Welcome to the best forum.

Your 7mm is a bit higher velocity than needed in most areas of South Africa but, with the heaviest premium bonded bullet your rifle shoots accurately, it will work fine.
There are several very tough bullets available these days and if deciding to shoot large animals at close range with small fast calibers, it is good to use one.
I recommend Swift A-Frame but again, there are others.
If your rifle is acceptably accurate with 175 grain A-Frame bullets, you will be all set.
Lots of folks fuss and fume over wanting to get their rifle to keep 5 shots in an inch at 100 yards.
For most African hunting conditions, actually 3 shots in 2" at 100 yds is plenty accurate.
Here in N. America, we'd call it "woods hunting".

However, in the more open places like Eastern Cape, your 7mm magnum might turn out to be one of the best choices.
Personally, I lean toward large calibers for large animals and I prefer blunt shaped, heavy bullets at moderate velocity for hunting in thick woods.
(But out in the open, I prefer more pointy bullets at faster speed.)

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
I just got back from my safari and used a 7mm Rem Mag, shooting 160 gr Barnes Ammo. It worked perfect on all game we hunted.

Good luck with your safari planning- thats half the fun!

Shoot that 7 mag proudly!

Shot placement and confidence in the rifle are more important than the caliber, by far.

I took a new 300 wsm on the trip I just got back from and my shooting wasn't nearly as good as with my .30/06.... the new rifle shoots better actually, but I didn't shoot it as well. All on me. Point is, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Don't get me wrong, I will take the 300 again, but will be much better prepared!

I currently use 175gr Sierra game kings with a velocity of 2850 ft/sec.

Does this sound reasonable?

Perfect! Have a good time. And welcome to AH:D Beers:

Which area in South Africa are you hunting?

The 7 Remington Mangle'm has been knocking them down since 1962 and is plenty of medicine for PG with premium bullets. I'm +1 with VeloDog on the A-Frame, but there are a lot of good bullets out there. So leave the coreloct's at home and go enjoy your first trip.
I have taken a pile of critters with the 7RM, i believe I was actually a member of a cult at the time, setting the seven right up next to pockets on a shirt and sliced bread. Growing up the seven was my varmint gun, deer elk combo gun, bear gun......and it worked. Then, I couldn't afford to pay attention, spent all the money I could make on cheap beer, expensive girls and H4831, my gun rack only had a 22, 20 gauge and the seven. I will quit rambling but what I'm getting at is if you shoot it well, that dog will hunt!
Cheers,
Cody

I've heard conflicting reports with Game Kings but I have no first hand experience. Do you trust them to drop an elk here? Closest example to a stout zebra I can think of. If so, go with them. My money has been in 168 grain Barnes TTSX out of my 30-06 with eight one shot kills in Namibia using them. The 160 grain 7mm would do the same I'm sure.

Welcome to AH! Agreed the 7mm will be fine. Have fun planning the trip

love the 7mm mag, but NOT those sierra game kings for african animals they are tough critters and need premium bullets. I suggest ditching them and trying swift a frames, nosler accubonds or barnes any of these 3 will get er done! And practice practice off of sticks, off hand, off top rails of the trucks, off rocks. not like shooting deer or elk around home. bipod are useless in africa.

All good advise. To put it in a nut shell use a premium bullet such as Barnes ttsx, swift AFrames and the nosler line of Ammo. Most important is to shoot your gun accurately. My personal favorite is my 300 wsm with Barnes 180 grain ttsx. Absolute killer.

The advice you are getting is excellent obviously. But, let put another idea in your head: If you like shooting then this is a great chance to explore another caliber....dare I say it...375 H&H. Or, how about 300 H&H? I found the recoil of the 375 H&H to be more comfortable than my 7mm RM. It is a storied cartridge that allowed me to live just a bit more of the fantasy.

Whatever you decide the animals carry their vitals a bit more forward. Have fun planning the trip! The real secret is that the planning is a ton of fun!

just practice and put no less then a 100 rounds down range off of shooting sticks. Be ready for shots from 50yds out to 300 and everything in between. I used a 7mm weatherby my first trip and used 168 bearclaw and killed everything I shot at.

Just remember you will be aiming little farther forward on African game and mid body and down. Enjoy the planning part and the time at the range using the sticks.

100 rounds down range off of shooting sticks.

and then put another 100 rounds down range off of shooting sticks because going to the shooting range is more fun than sitting around the house where wife can put a guilt trip on you about going to Africa and make you finish up that "Honey Do List"(y)(y)(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!