Rick From Colorado

RSnellstrom

Reaction score
Member of
NRA,RMEF,CMDA
Hunted
USA
I am sure you have read my intro many times.
But have always had the dream of hunting Africa.
I have hunted many states in the U.S. including Alaska.
I am very serious about doing my 1st Africa hunt with my brother within the next 2yrs.
I will start right off with a question.
I have heard from some people that you should do a plains game hunt to start.
I really want a Buff, should this be my 1st hunt or does it matter what my 1st hunt is?
Opinions are very welcome.
Thank You
Rick

Hi Rick
Welcome to AH the place to be if you are looking at a hunt and anything in between. To plan your hunt is just as exciting as the hunt itself. You choose what you want to hunt, I hunt and guide for 17 years and i had many guys in the past that started with a buffalo, i had two guys that only hunted lion nothing else. Most people start with plains game just to get the feeling for Africa or the see how tough our African animals really are. I think those are some of the reasons people start with plains game.
Hunt your buffalo if that is the dream then live it.
Enjoy the forum.
Johan

Welcome to the forum Rick.

I would suggest to first and foremost establish whether you will be coming to Africa more than once.

Should you be in a position that you will be coming to Africa more than once I would suggest doing a plains game hunt first it might not be a bad idea to hunt with an Outfitter who has got buffalo so you can get some idea of what buffalo hunting is about. Plus once you have hunted with an Outfit that provides good service and who has Cape Buffalo it will make your decision a lot easier the next year.

A good plains game hunt will defiantly lay the foundation for years to come.

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Hi Rick,
Welcome to AH. You will find all the info needed for your planning right here. I will second what Louis said. If you are fortunate to be in a position to be able to come more than once, I would suggest a plains game hunt on your first trip.
Either way , you will be hooked for life.

All the best,
Marius Goosen

Welcome to AH Rick! No matter what you'll want to go back...

Thank You
So far the replies to my intro have been great.
You have added fuel to my Africa fire.
I realy like the comment to hunt with a PH that does Buff, too and start with Plains Game.
I am sure as stated if I go I will want to go agian.
Just like Alaska I want to go every year.
I have gathered more information in 12hrs that I feel from people I can trust than years of research.
Thank You
Rick

Hello Rick,

Welcome to the forum. Plains game or dangerous , just visit & get the feel of the deep mystic insignificance of the continent called AFRICA the hunter's paradise.You would wish to return again & again.......

Monish

Hello Rick,

Welcome to the forum! I would like to add that if you are in the position to do so look at a combined hunt for plainsgame and buffallo, you can certainly hunt buffallo on your fisrt African hunt. In my opinion you will get best of both hunting worlds as it is different kinds of hunting.

Look for an outfitter where you can hunt plainsgame and buffallo on one concession. This way it won't be neccesary for you to move from concession to concession for certain species. On hunts like that you may loose a lot of hunting time which you have paid for. However you will certainly return to Africa after the first hunt, buffalo or not. I can almost guarantee that when you have shot the first buff that it won't be the last one.... It is addictive!

If you have any questions please feel free to ask at any time,

Best regards,

Hunting plains game in Africa is a bit like hunting in the west or south Texas for that matter. If you are familiar with that type of environment and are an experienced hunter, then a buffalo hunt should be in order. But hunting plains game is easier for a first timer in Africa.

Welcome Rick to AH by all means follow your dream most hunts that I researched for Cape Buffalo are 7 days or more you can always add Plains game in on the way most outfits that hunt Buff also have plains game you may see something while hunting Buffalo that tickles your fancy and can't live without. Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross