Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF, QU & PU
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia
Rhino poaching: less slaughtered in 2015 than in 2014
Taking into account the above interventions, I am today pleased to announce that for the first time in a decade – the poaching situation has stabilized
4 hours ago
renostermortem1.jpg-Medium.jpg

CAPE TOWN – A total of 1 175 were poached last year, compared to 1 215 in 2014. Of these 1 175, 826 rhinos were slaughtered in the Kruger National Park (KNP).

Environmental affairs minister Ms Edna Molewa released these figures in parliament earlier today.

Last year 317 suspects were arrested for alleged rhino poaching related offences. Of this, 202 were arrested in the Kruger and 115 in the area adjacent to the park. The number of arrests in 2014 stood at 258. A total of 125 firearms were seized inside Kruger last year and 63 just outside the park – a total of 188 compared to the 148 of the previous year.

“Taking into account the above interventions, in conjunction with other aspects of the Integrated Strategic Management of Rhinoceros under implementation, I am today pleased to announce that for the first time in a decade – the poaching situation has stabilized,” Molewa said.

“Considering that this is despite escalating poaching pressure, and in the face of an increased and relentless rise of poaching activity into protected areas – this is very very good news, and offers great cause for optimism.”

Molewa also announced that by the end of last year, all rhino poaching crime scenes in Kruger, have been attended to in accordance with standard protocols. “If one considers the serious backlog we faced in 2014 and 2015, this is a remarkable achievement,” she boasted.

Yesterday, the state’s application for leave to appeal against the judgement according to which the national moratorium on trade in rhino horn was lifted in November last year, was dismissed. “My legal team is not yet privy to the reason for the decision, but I have decided to apply for leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Appeal.

“My application, once lodged, will result in the suspension of the operation and execution of the court’s decision to review and set aside the moratorium. I will not be commenting any further on this application, but it must be emphasised that this matter does not have an impact on the international trade in rhino horn for commercial purposes.

“Commercial international trade in rhino horn is still prohibited in terms of the provisions of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES),” Molewa said.

“Let us make 2016 the year in which we can declare that are not only close to winning the war against poachers, but that we have all stood up done our part.”

Attachments

• renostermortem1.jpg-Medium.jpg
    renostermortem1.jpg-Medium.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 1,345
That and there are fewer to poach

South Africa rhino poaching levels in first decline since 2007
  • 1 hour ago
  • From the section Africa
Image copyright AP
Image caption Rhino horns are believed to have medicinal properties by some people in Asian countries
The number of rhinos poached for their horns in South Africa fell last year for the first time since 2007, officials say.

There were 1,175 cases in 2015, compared to the record number of 1,215 in the previous year.

The decline was due to "increased policing and combat operations".

Poaching has been driven by demand for rhino horn in Asian countries for their purported medicinal properties.

Since 2007, when 13 rhinos were poached in the country, the number of animals killed has rocketed.

South Africa's Environmental Affairs Minister, Edna Molewa, hailed last year's fall, saying it was due to the government's anti-poaching policies.

The measures, she said, included increased inspections at airports and borders and the use of anti-poaching technology.

"Considering that this is despite escalating poaching pressure, and in the face of an increased and relentless rise of poaching activity into protected areas, this is very, very good news," she said.

"[But] the onslaught against our rhino has continued unabated.
Media captionNomsa Maseko: "There are fears that the rhino could be extinct within 10 years"
Most cases (826) were at the Kruger National Park near the border with Mozambique, where between 8,400 to 9,300 white rhinos live, Ms Molewa said.

She said that 317 poachers had been arrested last year for offences related to rhino poaching. In 2014, there were 258 arrests.

South Africa has 80% of the world's rhino population but there are fears that they could be extinct within 10 years.

There is increasing demand in Asian countries where it is believed that the horns have healing properties, even though they are made mainly from keratin, the same material as fingernails.

The horn is sold in powdered form as a supposed cure for cancer and other diseases.

Poachers use a chainsaw to cut away the rhino's horns and often leave a drugged animal to bleed to death.

Rhino poaching in South Africa
  • Much of the poaching occurs in the Kruger National Park, which covers an area of about 20,000 sq km (7,500 sq miles)
  • Nationwide figures have increased from 13 poached rhinos in 2007 to a record 1,215 in 2014, before falling to 1,175 in 2015
  • Criminal syndicates are involved, selling horns on the black market in Asia
  • Rhino horns sells for $65,000 (£43,000) per kg - more than gold - a South African court heard last year
  • Rhino deaths could start overtaking births between 2016 and 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaylonTova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!