Rhino Poaching - Hartzview Hunting Safaris

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Hartzview Hunting Safaris, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Hartzview Hunting Safaris

Hartzview Hunting Safaris SPONSOR AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe
    Good day guys,

It is a very sad day as we had to move all our rhino of our main area to several different areas the past weekend. THe reason for moving all our rhino is because of poaching. In the last 3weeks we had 9 rhino shot on our area of which 6 is dead with their horns removed and 3 were heavily wounded of which one bull died last night. Unfortunately this made for another conservation effort to be stopped in its tracks as nobody will be able to handle the losses financially and emotionally.

I found one of the rhino on Thursday by seeing fresh blood croosing road near a waterhole. I got out and started tracking the blood where after about 35 yeards saw a running rhino track. Tracked another 400 yards on where I found the dead cow with 2 AK47 shots on the shoulder. Horns were not removed as I think I probably scared the poachers as the blood trail and rhino were still fresh! Glad they did not shoot at me!

We immediattely decided to move all rhino of Hartzhoogte. When we started flying to dart the rest of the rhino we found the other 5 carcasses. We also found the wounded rhinos when we started darting them for the move. We are still missing two calfes, the cows have been killed by the poachers.

I added some pictures of some of the rhinos we found. I felt that I should share this with our fellow hunters as we are all conservationists and that you guys need to know this kind of really bad news aswell!

Best regards,

Jacques

Renoster 3.jpg
    Here is a young bull that has been shot 6 times with a small caliber. We are hoping that he will survive!

Renoster 1.jpg
    Renoster 2.jpg
    These were both pregnant cows!
  2. Spiral Horn Safaris

Spiral Horn Safaris AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI and PHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa and Zambia
    Hi Jacques

This is very sad news I have a friend who is going through the same ordeal, all the best of luck and I hope that these poachers get what they deserve a long time spent in a prison sell!

Best Regards
    Louis van Bergen
  3. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    I am real sorry for your losses and hope you catch the poachers, the losses may come out of your pocket but hurts us all as hunters and Conservationist.
  4. shakari

shakari AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Very sorry indeed to hear the bad news but guys, what needs to be done is to cut the head off the snake by catching the guys at the top of the industry and that won't be easy because most of them have diplomatic immunity and we all need to put pressure on our respective Governments to withdraw that immunity in the case of rhino and/or elephant product trade.

Catching or even shooting the actual poachers won't achieve anything at all because Africa is full of people willing to take an AK in their hands if they can earn enough money in one night to feed their families for a year.
  5. bluey

bluey GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers
    Hunted:
    australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)
    that just sucks jacques
    i hope these a*****es get caught doing this crap and get theyre noses cut off
    it makes me sick in the guts that it continues to happen all the bloody time
    im truley sorry for your lose
    these rhinos definately need all the friends they can get
  6. Safari Afrika

Safari Afrika AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    PHASA - RMEF
    Hunted:
    South Africa - Botswana - Zimbabwe - USA - Namibia
    Absolutely horrific !!!! When will the idiots realise the only way is to legalise the horn trade ! This is a very big loss and sad day for everybody ! Words cannot describe this despicable acts !
  7. spike.t

spike.t GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    shame to hear that jacques. it might be satisfying to shoot them and is a start, but as you say there is a never ending flood waiting to take their place. unfortunately i cant see the immunity etc being withdrawn for the people running it, as i have a feeling they will be too well connected, or their govnts are providing "assistance" to the country which certain ministers and govnt officials wont want to lose.
  8. billc

billc SILVER SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    united states canada mexico south africa
    So sorry to hear this bad news.Just be careful as people who do things like this can do the same to people if pushed.I hope you catch them and they get to look threw bars for along time.I feel bad for all the people who get to see your ranch now and dont get to see rhinos now.Was one of the great parts of our trip when there to see them just roaming around.I still remember taking the pic of dakota and the springbuck with the big rhino walking behind you guys that came out of no where.Hope the wouned ones make it and you find those two young ones.Good luck Billc
  9. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Sad ugly news, yet again.

Glad that you made it away safe.
  10. James.Grage

James.Grage GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa
    A great loss...

As mentioned we need to find the top of the hill to try and stem the tide...
  11. CT Safaris

CT Safaris AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, DSC, PHASA, DWWC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe Mozambique, USA
    Very sorry to hear about this Jaques. Good that you didn't get hurt!
  12. 35bore

35bore AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, France
    Sad news indeed, sorry for your loss. As others have mentioned, glad you didn't get hurt/killed.
  13. Nyati

Nyati AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
    Sorry to hear the bad news, Jacques, take care.
  14. GSTONE

GSTONE AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life member, NAHC Life member, Oregon Hunter Ass'n
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA,Zimbabwe,Canada
    Again, so sorry for your losses...please be careful. We all want them caught, but you are important to all of us also. Your friend GSTONE
  15. Bearhunter

Bearhunter AH Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    , OFAH
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada, South Africa
    Sorry to hear that you are having problems. One of the great things about hunting with you was seeing the Rhinos. I remember the first morning that we were at the ranch, a Rhino came in and grazed on the lawn. He got within one metre of me before he realized I was there. Best of luck my friend. View attachment 14582 View attachment 14583 Stay safe.
  16. Cliffy

Cliffy AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
    Crap, what a crunmmy thing to have to deal with. Sorry to hear the news!
  17. Buff-Buster

Buff-Buster GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, Nort American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
    Hunted:
    Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta) & Argentina (Cordoba)
    Terrible thing to deal with Jacques. I think everyone here on AH are feeling some of your pain
  18. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    I read Jacques' post earlier today and had a number of reactions. Excuse me if some this comes across as a bit of a rant, it's really not intended that way, just kind of thinking out loud.

1. Jacques, sorry to hear this like the others. You had a breeding herd of rhinos that of course were there at your expense as I don't think any revenue was being generated. It's sad to see that this area of rhino restoration will be no more.

2. Personal disappointment, I was really looking forward to my son seeing rhinos outside of a zoo.

3. With all of the rhino poaching we've been hearing about in Africa as a whole, not just this instance, where is the outrage from the anti/non-hunting crowd? I hear plenty about the big cats and certainly that has it's merit. I guess since the poaching is taking place on hunting preserves they don't want to publicize it.

.......pause in my dissertation to go kill a frickin' scorpion in the garage.........caused me to think a bit and do a google, and I'll be durned, Jacques you made the news in the USA on a very liberal left wing website no less:

Poachers dehorn 14 rhinos in South Africa, 3 die

But this leads to another thought that I've had trouble putting all together, so bear with me. Basically is it not high time that the antis/non-hunting bunny hugger crowd suck up their broken hearts and put up with the South African (as well as other nations) hunting safari industry? To realize that while we will still have our differences, we still have the common goal of wanting to see Africa's wildlife not only survive but also to thrive?

If that's the case, then is it not also time for hunters to be unified? Over the last year or so, I have read so many threads, not on AH but in other places, just bashing the hell out of South African high fence hunting. Well here we have a SA operator running a high fence operation, but also was providing the ground for an apparently growing herd of rhinos? So what good does it do for those rhinos when members of the hunting community trash on one of our own?

It just seems to me that we need to be much more unified before we could ever hope to work towards common goals with those who we find to be our opponents. Sorry if this comes across as a rant, hopefully it didn't.
  19. Safari Afrika

Safari Afrika AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    PHASA - RMEF
    Hunted:
    South Africa - Botswana - Zimbabwe - USA - Namibia
    Could not agree more ! Well said !
  20. GSTONE

GSTONE AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life member, NAHC Life member, Oregon Hunter Ass'n
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA,Zimbabwe,Canada
    SCI Convention in Reno on the 23rd of January might be the place to carry this discussion forward, and see if we can get others involved in this issue...with AH, of course, leading the discussion. Your thoughts on this?