Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
KZN Hunting & Conservation, CHASA, NRA
Hunted
USA,Zim,RSA,Russia,Moz
Johannesburg - Law enforcement agencies on Friday seized R11m in assets from a Limpopo game farmer convicted of dealing in rhino horns.

Police spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi said the assets are believed to have been acquired by Jan Karel Pieter Els, from Thabazimbi, through criminal activities.

The assets included a Toyota Fortuner, a Toyota Hilux, a BMW motorbike, two Bombardier ATV motorbikes, and household goods.

Els further lost his game farm in Thabazimbi, company shares, and the contents of his bank accounts.

In March this year Els was convicted of illegally dealing in 38 rhino horns in 2009 and 2010. He had bought seven rhinos from the Limpopo Valley Conservancy in Musina, informing the environmental affairs department that he was taking them to Thabazimbi.

"Instead he dehorned five rhinos without a permit in Musina and moved some without horns," Malaudzi said.
Els also bought 30 horns from a manager at the Maremani Nature Reserve in Musina, Tommy Fourie. All were taken to Thabazimbi without a permit.

"All the horns involved were never recovered, since he claimed that they were all stolen from his farm," Malaudzi said.

Despite his claims of innocence, Els was convicted of illegally dealing in 38 rhino horns with a total value of R11.4m. The court also ordered him to pay R1m to the National Wildlife Crime Reaction Unit fund.

Els asked for leave to appeal, but this was turned down. He is currently serving a 10-year sentence at Sinthumule Kutama Prison. Two of those years were suspended.

Fourie committed suicide in November 2010, after being arrested with Els.

Friday's asset seizure was a joint effort between the endangered species unit of the Hawks, the National Prosecuting Authority, the Asset Forfeiture Unit, and Environmental Affairs.

- SAPA

Score 1 for the good guys.

GREAT NEWS

thanks for sharing with us

Poachers beware! Thanks for the info. Good stuff.

Gee they didn't believe he was a victim of theft!

One down, Now to get the rest of the crowd.

This is great news for the fight against rhino poaching.

Glad to see harsher sentences being handed down to those destroying our wildlife illegally and for personal gain. Greed after all is a deadly sin...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross