Rhino hunting info

It is just that right now, if you know what is going on in Africa, there is a huge debate on consumptive versus non consumptive. The Photo safari business is as sickening to me as hunting is to vegans. They drive around tame animals that are used to people and vehicles and call it wild Africa. And yes we all like photos to be posted of live animals thanks.
On the rhino issue people on here say they could never shoot one??? Really? It is only because PEOPLE ARE HUNTING RHINOS THAT THERE ARE 20,000 of them in RSA. Do you think that there are 20,000 rhinos to take pics of? They can't sell the horn legally so hunting IS THE ONLY REVENUE TO SUSTAIN THE 20,000 RHINOS IN RSA! If you love rhinos and can afford it go shoot one. It is the only thing you can do that will really make a difference.
I am sorry but this thread really made me mad.
Regards,
Philip

I think you may have misunderstood my original post. I am not against the hunting of any animal, as long as that it is taken legally, ethically and is the correct animal to take as part of a conservation scheme. I was merely offering an alternative option. I know of the photographic safaris you speak of, and believe me this was not one of them. We rarely saw another vehicle the entire day out viewing game.

I am very aware of the vast tracks of land and species within it that are only there because of hunting in Africa. I am also aware of other forms of conservation too, such as the Western Lowland Gorilla who are protected by the money of photographic tourists. My point it that different methods work for different species and areas. Although a very effective tool in conservation, I don't believe that hunting is the only one we should use.

I think it is great that hunting in RSA is helping to protect the species, however, not everyone can afford to hunt one. I was merely offering another way to experience seeing them up-close and personal and still have a great experience and contribute to their conservation in another way.

It is just that right now, if you know what is going on in Africa, there is a huge debate on consumptive versus non consumptive. The Photo safari business is as sickening to me as hunting is to vegans. They drive around tame animals that are used to people and vehicles and call it wild Africa. And yes we all like photos to be posted of live animals thanks.
On the rhino issue people on here say they could never shoot one??? Really? It is only because PEOPLE ARE HUNTING RHINOS THAT THERE ARE 20,000 of them in RSA. Do you think that there are 20,000 rhinos to take pics of? They can't sell the horn legally so hunting IS THE ONLY REVENUE TO SUSTAIN THE 20,000 RHINOS IN RSA! If you love rhinos and can afford it go shoot one. It is the only thing you can do that will really make a difference.
Regards,
Philip

Well said Philip.

Yes, driving around and snapping photos of rhinos and other animals in a game preserve makes for a nice fair weather outing. Or if someone has a desire to tranquilize a rhino (surely one that has been tranquilized many times before) for a quick a photo session, that's okay too. But don't fool yourself into believing that either of those activities is a realistic alternative to hunting and shooting one to sustain the population.

Just my 'un-politically correct' 2 cents.

Reality is that the lack of income to the private owners of rhinos will reduce their numbers in RSA. It is risky business owning rhinos. I know there are owners who are reducing their numbers because they cannot or are no longer willing to bear the financial cost of maintaining them and having the risk of them being poached. Just think about the bank statement. If you own 20 rhinos at $25,000 each, that is half a million dollars worth of assets at risk. You can pay insurance on them but that is an extra expense that needs income generated to offset it. And they are grazing the veld that can generate more income feeding zebras or whatever.

As for hunting one, look back at some of the offers or make some inquiries. It is now cheaper to hunt a legal importable rhino than it is an importable elephant... In fact a lot cheaper!

Regards,
Philip

View attachment 54740
I have read and been told that 95% of the "business" in Africa now is photo safaris but that the 5% who are actual hunters contribute 95% of the dollars.

That is billions of dollars, hundreds of thousands of jobs and the bulk of the money spent on conservation.

One white paper I read stated that for a photo tourist the daily expenditure is around 175.00/per compared to 750.00 per hunter plus of course the kill/trophy fees on top of that as well as all of the dollars involved in trophy prep and shipping along with the meat, much of which goes directly to the locals.

Indeed you are correct, without us many of these species including the Rhino would quickly be in desperate straits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!