Rescue Insurance

G-MAN

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I am heading out to RSA in 31 days. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on insurance like Global Rescue and Med-Jet Assist. They both run about $150 for a 14 day short-term service. I hope I don't need it, but just in case.

I would go with Global Rescue. They have from all account I've heard the best service in the business. That is who I would send my money with.... they pick you up in the field, get you the best medical care possible.

...I would go with Global Rescue I have heard from several people how wonderful they were. I bought cheaper medical insurance the last time I went which sounded pretty good but you never know unless you have to use it!! I don't doubt the medical aspect & services my insurance had, but its the flying you out etc. Where Global rescue seems to shine over & above the rest!!and they have a track record to prove it!!!
.....Due to a medical condition I now have I can guarantee that I will have Global Rescue with me on my next Safari!!

G-Man, At The Hunting Report we used to recommend Med Jet Assist. They were good people, but we switched to Global Rescue when they came along simply because they had "built a better mouse trap." They offer what our founding publisher Don Causey calls boots on the ground rescue capability. That means Global Rescue has the ability to come get you no matter where you are. If you fall off a mountain and break your pelvis, or fall out of a machan and break your back, like Don did in Cameroon, Global Rescue will come get you in the bush if necessary. Other evac services require you to get to a landing strip, sometimes they require you to get yourself to a major airport. Global can arrange helicopter transport, medically equipped jets, commercial aircraft with an EMT to accompany you, as well as ground ambulance.

Global Rescue also provides top-notch medical assistance during rescue and transport and they have a relationship with Johns Hopkins for medical consultations. Their rescue teams include real-deal Navy SEALS types trained to get things done efficiently and in clockwork fashion. They will evacuate you to the home hospital of your choice. Some services will only get you to the nearest appropriate hospital - and they define “appropriate.”

One of my subscribers recently had to rely on Global Rescue during a hunt in Ethiopia. He developed pulmonary edema while hunting mountain nyala and credits Global Rescue for saving his life, even though they didn't have to get him off the mountain themselves.

Honestly, Don and I wouldn't recommend them if we didn't believe in them. Personally, I won't travel anywhere without them.

Thanks for the input all. Hopefully I will not need it, but just to be on the safe side. I think the wife will feel better anyway.

After reading this, i just purchased a 14 day policy for my trip. Cost was $159 for the 14 days. At a little more than $10, that is pretty cheap peace of mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you