Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
DSC Life Member, International Member PHASA
Hunted
Several of the lower 48, Alaska, South Africa, Ireland, Argentina, Peru
I managed to pick up a Winchester M70 stainless Alaskan in .375 H&H in excellent condition at a really great price yesterday..

I'd like to replace the stock. Its currently wearing one of the standard black synthetics that Winchester was using before they went to the Bell and Carlson stocks (not sure of the manufacture). I prefer the heft, look, and the feel of wood.

I like the appearance of the laminate stock option Winchester used to have for their Alaskan line, but it appears they are only available used these days, and are typically a little pricy.

I assume I will need a stock specifically designed to handle the recoil of a .375, that just any long action M70 stock wont do?

Any recommendations on an aftermarket laminate stock for the M70 Alaskan in .375 H&H?

Last edited:
Watching with interest, I would like a synthetic stock as well for my M70 in 375 .

As a matter of interest what is the weight difference between the wood and the synthetic ?

Watching with interest, I would like a synthetic stock as well for my M70 in 375 .

As a matter of interest what is the weight difference between the wood and the synthetic ?

I think it depends on which synthetic and which wood stock youre looking at..

The laminate stock I am currently eyeballing at Boyds is 2.8lbs... a higher end synthetic I found on Brownells (fiberglas/epoxy composite.. not plastic..) is 1.25lbs...

I'm not sure how much the factory synthetic stock weighs.. I wont pick up the .375 I made the deal on for a couple of weeks.. but I am going to guess its going to be in the 1.25-1.5lb range..

Are you looking for a synthetic in addition to your wood stock? or are you looking to get rid of your wood stock and replace with a synthetic?

I think it depends on which synthetic and which wood stock youre looking at..

The laminate stock I am currently eyeballing at Boyds is 2.8lbs... a higher end synthetic I found on Brownells (fiberglas/epoxy composite.. not plastic..) is 1.25lbs...

I'm not sure how much the factory synthetic stock weighs.. I wont pick up the .375 I made the deal on for a couple of weeks.. but I am going to guess its going to be in the 1.25-1.5lb range..

Are you looking for a synthetic in addition to your wood stock? or are you looking to get rid of your wood stock and replace with a synthetic?

I haven't researched it all , but I wouldn't skimp on a stock , I would purchase the best synthetic available. I am a huge fan of the M70 but I find the 375 unbalanced and too heavy, make no mistake I have heavier rifles but they are in bigger calibers and need to be heavier . Personally I find the M70 in 416 Rem a better balanced and weighted rifle. I don't use my M70 375 much , if I am hunting and wanting to use 375 I grab my CZ 550 first .

My wood stock is in brand new and perfect condition , however I don't think I would dispose of it .

mdwest,

I will echo what Phoenix Phil said about Wes and Accurate Innovations (www.aigunstocks.com).

This is a picture of a laminate rifle stock (Ghost color) Wes made for my Ruger M77 Hawkeye African in 375 Ruger that I reworked, and had Cerakoted for an Alaskan style rifle.

IMG_0017.jpg

Here are a couple of more rifles that I had stocked by Wes at Accurate Innovations:

1) Winchester M70 Safari Classic in 375 H&H Magnum. Since this picture, I had Wayne Jacobson at AHR blueprint the action, re-barrel the rifle with a Lilja barrel (to match the contour of the AI stock), install new NECG front/rear sights, as well as barrel band, and finally re-blue the rifle so all metal matches. It was stocked by Wes at Accurate Innovations in a AAA piece of English Walnut with full Fleur-de-Lis and Ribbons treatment, and 22 LPI checkering (picture doesn't do it justice):

IMG_0026.jpg

2) Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 Springfield that was completely overhauled by David Amick at Carolina Custom Rifles (action blueprint, Kreiger chromoly barrel, Timney trigger, PTG bottom metal) and re-stocked by Wes at Accurate Innovations in a piece of AAA Claro Walnut and 22 LPI checkering (again picture doesn't do it justice):

IMG_1425.jpg

My point being that Wes has stocked 3 rifles for me in various grades of wood and checkering, and they all look phenomenal. The kicker is that they shoot like a dream as well, and the stock is a big part of that. All of the rifles are sub-MOA rifles with appropriate handloads. The stock is fit to the action via a aluminum bedding block that is epoxied in to the wood via some advanced epoxy, and creates a very solid platform for the rifle action. You can choose all sorts of wood, upgrades, checkering, LOP, etc. and make it as nice, or conversely, as utilitarian as you want and your budget allows. If you haven't looked at them, I would highly recommend them. These stocks are not full custom stocks, but are a good "in-between" option.

Awfully pretty piece of English Walnut there @sandman0921. The AI bedding system is quite impressive isn't it? I went kind of off the charts with myrtle for my .458B&M. It's an 18" barrel and while I've never weighed the rifle, it's light, maybe 8lbs with scope. It kicks harder than my .375 M70 as can be expected, but nothing like what one might think from such a light and short barreled big bore.

IMG_0848.JPG

I really like a short barreled rifle for the bush .

Phil,

Love that Myrtle! I've heard a lot about the B&M variations of cartridges. Very impressive performance out of such a short barrel. I can't think of a better cartridge than a 458 B&M for an Alaskan guide that might have to follow-up a wounded "brownie" in the Alder thickets, or conversely an African PH that is backing up a client in the thick jess pursuing some big nasty. Short and compact that delivers a wallop when needed is definitely the ticket.

It's amazing what Wes can do, and with all sorts of "non-traditional" wood like Myrtle, Maple, Bamboo, etc.

mdwest, I can certainly speak to the quality of the laminate stock that AI produces. There are different color variants as well. The stock is pretty heavy so it would be a good choice for a wet-weather/coastal gun, as well as other stuff, in a big kicker. It's also definitely a cheaper option than the fancier walnuts. Another option is the bamboo. The only problem with the bamboo is that its lighter, so it might not be a good choice for a 375 H&H Mag. It'd be great in something like a 30-06........Wes says it's very strong.

Anyway, you definitely have an option for laminate wood if you want it. It's not the cheapest, but it's done right, fit to the action contour, and in your LOP.

Good luck, and make sure to post some pics when it's all done and looking "purty"

Love that bush gun! beautiful.

I've built a couple of shorties for hunting in the US.. and went with a 16" bbl on a .45-70 that I occasionally use in the deep woods in the southeast for deer and boar.. and a .308 with a 18" bbl that I haven't really put to the test yet, but was fun to play with and build... but had never thought about doing the same thing for an African big bore..

now you have me thinking about the next "project" gun :)

I like the look of those AI stocks... and the bedding system seems pretty sound to me.. I've purchased stocks from Boyds before (the shorty .308 sports a boyds laminate, as well as one of my wifes rifles), and while I think they are pretty good (especially for the price), I was wanting to go with something a little nicer for this rifle.. I just wasn't aware of what might be out there...

I think Ill give AI a call on Monday... thanks for the tip guys!

Once I get the rifle in hand and start tinkering around with it Ill be sure to post pics.. I don't know that Ill do much with it initially other than swap stocks and mount an optic on it (need to make a decision there too.. right now I'm thinking something in the 2-7x range, and will probably stick with leupold.. but am still undecided)... after that I'm guessing Ill take it to the range, put a couple of boxes through it, and then start figuring out what to tinker with next...

MDWest, possibly my imagination, but... I have a McMillan on a Sako 7RM and it seems to absorb more recoil than my wood stocks. Like I say could just be me but the stock is a direct replacement so design is the same as the factory model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you