Remington stock for a 416

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by JamieD, Mar 7, 2011.

1. JamieD

JamieD AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    life member NAHC NRA
    Hunted:
    US, RSA, ZIM
    As I am new fairly new to this forum I hope that you guys aren't tired of my questions yet. I the guys I hunt with and my gunsmith are mostly varmint hunters and or long range shooters, so the info that I get from this forum is nearly priceless for my Africa adventures.

My query for the day is. I am building my 416 Rigby on a rem. 700 action. To beat someone to the puntch, I know it is not a CRF but I have been shooting rem. 700s and 7s since I was 12 so it is the gun I am most comfortable with. Back to the question, is a BDL stock strong enough to take the recoil of a Rigby? The pistol grip seems much thinner then a CZ that I have been shooting for someone else. I prefer wood but would synthetic take the recoil better?

2. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    I'll throw my two cents in and say have it built on a synthetic stock. They take a beating a lot better than wood. And synthetic stocks...for me...feel better in my hands..the best stocks are usually bedded well out of the gate and shoot very excellent. I like wood too...but would go with the synthetic.

3. browningbbr

browningbbr AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI Northeast Wisconsin Chapter, NRA, Local Sportsmen's Club
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    I agree with enysse - go with synthetic. Hogue makes a good one with a full-length aluminum block. My favorite is the H-S Precision - I've owned 3 of them and all were great.

4. bashaw

bashaw AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA,Oregon Hunters Assoc.
    Hunted:
    USA, Zimbabwe, Australia & Mozambique
    Theres a guy in New York that bought a bunch of 700 stocks from Remington's custom shop. I bought one they are really pretty wood with a Rosewood end cap instead of black and they are made for the dangerous game calibers his name is Norman Robbins 845 679 3512
    Numrich Gun Parts Corporation this was 6 or 8 years ago so I dont know if the contact info is correct