Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I had promised myself not to spend any money on a new rifle as I am saving for my trip. However, I have come across a Remington 798 in 375H&H. I am trying to figure out if this is a purchase that should be acted upon or not. Price is just over $1,000 CDN. It is new and not used. From what I read on the Remington website this particular model has been discontinued. The laminate stock and control round feed appeal as it will serve well for many climates. I understand that it has a Zastava action and the package comes in cheaper than a M-70 Safari. The online reviews seemed favourable.

Would you folks give me your thoughts on whether this a good opportunity or one that will probably come by again and again? I would probably trade in a 308 Win to offset the costs. I own a 30-06 which I intended to go to Africa with. Until I saw this one I played with the idea of buying a Sako Brown Bear or Winchester M-70 in 375 but not until I got the safari paid off. Thanks for your advice and the reality check!

Iv'e looked at those...If I were to spend 1000.00 or so on a 375, I would get a new Win mod 70 safari express hands down. Just my 2 cents.

I am pretty much of the same mind set although I think it is about $400 cheaper than the Winchester. I was attracted to the laminate stock because of the vague notion I have of going to Alaska or Northern BC some day. At half the price of the Brown Bear it caught my attention. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Depending where you are going and what your goals and finaces are... I would definitely advise having a backup plan in place if you come across an animal that really trips your trigger but was not planned for.

That $1000 will likely suffice for an extra mediun sized antelope. Or two or three smaller or at least cheaper ones. Look over the price list from your outfitter and see what you can get for that $1000 before you buy the gun... that is if finances are tight. If it will not make a real difference financially and you want the gun but just want to know your getting a good deal, buy it! And if you need a bigger gun for this trip and this is what you want, buy it.

On the other hand, if you are going for plains game only, the 30-06 is all you need, esspecially if you shoot it well.

Another way to think about getting a good deal is to think about the overhead expence you will have into the trip... and "net present value" of this hunt to you, in financial and overall expieriance values.

No matter how long you are over there and weather you take take one trophy or 100, the flight, gun transport and permit, as well as other travel related costs are the same per trip... Thus the more you do/take while there, the less per animal/expieriance you will have spent for travel. If you spend $3000 traveling and take one animal, it is $3000 per animal travel expence... if you take 10, it will drop that to $300 per. That is only the most obvious, but the same could be said of your daily fees, practice ammo, range time, new binoculars or whatever.

So then if you look at the net present value of buying this gun, assuming you don't need it for this trip... and just for fun we anylize this as though harvesting trophy animals is the purchase being anylized.... And if you use thart $1000 to take more trophies now thus diluting out their overhead.... you can likely afford to pay way more to buy a 375 later.

Additionally, future dollars have less value than today's dollars, so the same gun can be bought for more money in the future and potentially have the same or lower net present value.

So, buy the gun if you need it. Also buy the gun if you can afford it and will not have to sacrifice something else you want or need more. And buy the gun if you want it more than you want to be able to shoot more critters on your trip. But if the trip and the experience is the main goal... and getting the best overall deal and value is your goal, you might not only want to not buy this gun now, but may even want to sell or be prepared to sell that 308 or whatever to put towards trophy fees.

Good luck with your decision and have a great hunt!

If you are really wanting a 375 H&H, go with the Winchester Model 70 Safari otherwise referenced. The fit and finish is a bit above that of the Remington (which I believe is not fully manufactured in the US), and I think it is just an all around better rifle. I have the Model 70 in 416 Rem Mag and it is a great rifle.

I look at the 06 and 308 as relatively interchangeable cartridges, although you can't load the 308 with heavier bullets. The 30-06 will be sufficient for pg if you can shoot it well ie proper bullet placement.

Good luck!

That's a awful good deal by my thinking. If it's discontinued you likely won't see many others if at all, they made very few of those. Zasatavas are reputedly pretty stout and rugged. If you want that good, strong Mauser action I say jump on it. If you are packing an 06 you can easily afford to part with the .308, quite a bit of overlap in utility and probably much more depending on what loadings you want to use. Anyway, those are my thoughts. Have fun!

That is about $920 (U.S. dollars). Sounds like a reasonable price.

My own preference would be either a Ruger or a Winchester, but the 798 is a solid rifle.

I think the lamination process looks interesting. From what I read they sandwich a piece of maple between two layers of walnut. It doesn't show the lamination in the usual way. Reminiscent of the lamination process for the Kilimanjaro rifles maybe?

The 798 is just a re-badged zastava. Good solid agricultural rifle. If it feeds well (make sure you check that) it is as good as any other mass produced product regardless of origin.
The laminate stock is entry level and you will need to strip and re-seal it anyway. They can weigh a few ounces more, so if you are counting weight for air travel consider that.
Standard prep will also be needed if it doesn't shoot well off the bat. Bedding and trigger etc..

Do you really need it ?
The .30-06 will do for 99% of plains game.

I don't think I need it now as I am comfortable with the 06 and want to take it this time. I anticipate needing it in the future. I would like to get sooner than later to ensure I get comfortable with it. I have no real world experience with one so I am chomping at the bit to see what it is for myself.

I had no idea a laminate rifle would need to be stripped and sealed! I will have to consult Mr Google on what that entails!

I would go with the ruger as well. However, the 30-06 will do whatever you need for plains game over there. For that matter the 308 will work as well. Remember to rake what you shoot well and are most comfortable with. The price on the gun is in fact good.

Pheroze, I think I was looking at the exact same rifle in Ontario, can't remember which site it was on .... anyways two weeks ago I ordered in a CZ550 in .375 from Kelly's sporting Goods (Inwood Ont, near London). That being said, I have done two plains game safaris before I bought this rifle and your current rifle will do the trick ... so save the money ....go hunting and worry about the .375 later. Just my two cents worth.

I will put this into perspective. When Remington discontinued that gun years ago you could buy it for $500. It's a nice gun, but not worth $1000...just my two cents. Save your money, do some hunting. The Winchester or CZ is nicer.

Like Code4 says, its the same rifle that's been around for years under various name, mostly Interarms Mark X and Whitworth, of which I have a sample of both. Its a fine action no question and their barrels usually shoot very well, both mine do. Price does seem a bit high. Also the Rem version has I believe a long 26 inch barrel and that's too long even for me! I would not be afraid to buy it, but not for that much.

It is the right size for a 375H&H...... Iv'e fooled with a couple, they shoot well but are a little rough from the factory. The Ruger and CZ IMO are to big and clunky for the H&H, much more suited to a bigger caliber. For $1000.00 you can get a Win 70, better deal all the way.

My preferences:
Winchester 70, pre 64. This is my favorite bolt ever.
Ruger
CZ.
I am reading the prices for the Winchester 70 in USA, and here in Spain the price increases more than 100%. Winchester 70 safari express: 2200 $.

After considering all of the advice and reading the post "I blame all of you"....I put in an offer of $850 for the 798 and she is now mine. An issue that has arisen, however, is that the barrel is contacting the laminated stock on the left side. So, the barrel is not properly free floating as I believe it should be. I have no idea if this is something I have to address or whether it is no big deal. The vendor wants me to put a box of shells through her first to see if the accuracy is unacceptable before sending her back to be looked at. My question is whether this is something I absoutely should have them fix or is this no big deal if the accuracy is fine? Any advice would be appreciated.

Shoot it first! It may not be an issue. Its no big thing to relieve some wood out of the barrel channel if needed. See if its bedded in the recoil lug area though. It may need that done, but again no big deal.

Thanks for the advice! I am certainly excited to shoot it and I am hopeful it works out. With the 22" barrel and the Mauser action it is robust like a farm implement. :LOL: I really like the checkering too. It makes my Browning seem very delicate and I think I quite like it so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg